Dec 26

Bubble Up Enchilada Casserole

*UPDATE 1/7/12: A new & improved version of this recipe is available! I made a few tweaks to incorporate more widely available ingredients and to make this dish more filling. The results are delicious! To view the updated recipe, click here!*

This recipe gets passed around the Weight Watchers message boards all the time, usually with rave reviews, so since I adore enchiladas it was definitely one of the first recipes on my to-do list. It’s very simple to make, since it’s just browning the ground turkey and then combining pre-packaged ingredients, and it tasted very good. I even used the Taco Seasoned Jennie-O lean ground turkey for a little extra flavor. My only issue with this dish is that I didn’t feel like a serving was all that filling for me. If you served it with a salad or some sautéed zucchini or another filling vegetable side dish then I think it could be a complete meal, so that’s my recommendation. It’s definitely an easy way to get enchilada flavors without much prep time.

Bubble Up Enchilada Casserole

Yield: 6 servings

• 1 pound lean ground turkey
  • 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
  • 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 1 can reduced fat refrigerator biscuits
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded low fat Mexican Cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Brown turkey in a large skillet and drain if needed.
  3. Add the can of enchilada sauce and can of tomato sauce and stir to combine.
  4. Cut the refrigerated biscuits into fourths and stir them in the meat mixture.
  5. Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray and add the mixture evenly. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle cheese on top. Bake an additional 10 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.

8 per serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)

multiple message board posts on weightwatchers.com

45 Responses to “Bubble Up Enchilada Casserole”

Emco1210 — December 29, 2010 @ 1:42 am

So good! My husband loved it too!!

emilybites — January 3, 2011 @ 4:13 am

I’m glad you both loved it! Thanks for following :)

Anonymous — January 14, 2011 @ 9:16 pm

One of our favorite meals. We have had it a few times already :)

Anonymous — January 19, 2011 @ 2:32 am

I made it last night and it was even better reheated tonight. I agree that the serving size seems a little small and since it’s so cheesy and biscuity, it’s hard not to keep eating it.

So I immediately got the baggies out and separated it into single servings then threw them in the freezer.

Whittenx5 — January 24, 2011 @ 6:38 pm

Haven’t tried it yet but it looks SOO good! I’m trying to figure out how to make it more filling… will have to think on this one. :)

Anonymous — February 14, 2011 @ 12:34 am

I made this for dinner tonight, and during the browning step I added a shredded zucchini and a chopped onion. The family had no idea I’d snuck in veggies on them, and it was pretty filling. Thanks for the recipe!

Anonymous — February 21, 2011 @ 9:40 pm

How many biscuits did you use? The only reduced fat can I could find has 8 biscuits…do I just cut each biscuit into fourths or is 8 too many?

Thanks! Looking forward to making this!

emilybites — February 21, 2011 @ 9:43 pm

I believe most cans of biscuits have 10 biscuits, so that’s probably what I used. 8 should work fine! Without seeing how many ounces each can has I can’t tell you if you’ll actually end up with less biscuit in the recipe, but what you have should work fine. Hope you like it! :)

Bean — March 9, 2011 @ 5:11 pm

I am going to make this tonight! and I am going to use the shredded zucchini idea and also add some green chilis. Can’t wait to have it!

Anonymous — March 17, 2011 @ 12:07 pm

If I omit the ground turkey, and replace with beans should I still cook it the same amount of time in the oven?

emilybites — March 17, 2011 @ 12:27 pm

I would cook it the same amount so that the biscuits will cook through. The meat is already cooked when this goes in the oven, so the cook time shouldn’t be affected.

doingitmyweigh — March 23, 2011 @ 1:18 am

Hi Emily. My family loved this recipe. The only reduced fat biscuits I could find were the Pillsbury Grands Wheat Reduced Fat, and the can worked out to 37 points. Could you tell me what brand/kind of biscuits you used? Thanks for all the great recipes!

emilybites — March 23, 2011 @ 1:22 am

Yeah, the Grands are way bigger than normal biscuits. I used my local grocery store brand. A regular can of biscuits might be less points than reduced fat Grands because they’re so much larger (not sure). Glad you liked it!

Melissa Feder-Piasek — April 2, 2011 @ 10:49 pm

I love it! I tried it with reduced fat whole wheat biscuits and fat free cheddar cheese though.

Anonymous — April 7, 2011 @ 4:35 pm

Do you think it would be ok to prepare everything early and refrigerate it until ready to bake? I have time during my lunch break to do everything but bake. I was hoping to just pop it in the oven when I got home for a quick dinner. Would you adjust the cooking time at all? Thanks! My wife and I love your blog!

KJ — April 11, 2011 @ 9:23 pm

Hi Emily! I just threw this in the oven, and after hearing your concerns about it not being “filling” enough – I added a chopped onion, and some frozen red and green bell peppers (which I cooked ALL of, before I put them in).

Looks delicious, and I will let you know how it turns out! :-)

Anonymous — April 13, 2011 @ 10:46 pm

I am making this for dinner tonight I can’t wait to try it:)

KJ — April 17, 2011 @ 5:44 pm

So good – and would have been, even without my additions. Thanks , Emily!

emilybites — April 17, 2011 @ 8:08 pm

Glad you enjoyed it!

Anonymous — April 29, 2011 @ 10:48 pm

I am from buffalo, what store brand biscuits did you use? I can’t find them anywhere.

KJ — May 22, 2011 @ 3:03 pm

Hey all – I, too, can only find the RF Grands – but I put it into the tracker, and if you use 6 biscuits, chopped up, it is the same PPV.

I cook the other two biscuits, and my dad and brother eat them on the side.

Anonymous — May 25, 2011 @ 5:29 pm

I’m making this as we speak. It looks like it’s going to be really good! My grocery store didn’t have RF biscuits, so I got regular, but I only used 4 of them and cut them up smaller. I also added cilantro. Thanks, Emily!

Katie — May 31, 2011 @ 3:37 pm

Do you cook the biscuits first or do you put the dough in the mixture?

kaleighgriff — July 6, 2011 @ 5:16 pm

Do you think this would be good reheated the next night? Would you just throw it in the oven?

Lori Heath — July 20, 2011 @ 12:11 am

It’s in the oven as we speak… This looks really yummy and I even had all the ingredients on hand. Just got re-started with ww and your blog has inspired me!! Thank you!!!

Kallee Mc — July 21, 2011 @ 5:42 pm

What is the P+ difference if you use 95% lean beef instead of Turkey?

Sarah - Loves to Cook — September 2, 2011 @ 1:05 am

Hi Emily –

I’m going to try and comment on what I try from now on; I think that’s only fair with how much time you guys put into these for us.

So, I made this for dinner tonight. I chopped 1/2 onion, 1 green pepper, and two garlic cloves and sauteed those for a short while before adding the turkey. Then, when I added the turkey, I sprinkled it with Taco seasoning so the flavor could cook-in while it absorbed. Lastly, I could only find the large, low-fat wheat biscuits, so I only used four and cut them into smaller bites.

All in all this turned out great and was pretty filling with the extra veggies. Thank you for sharing this.

Anonymous — September 26, 2011 @ 10:39 pm

You can also throw in chicken instead of turkey and it still tastes wonderful! Also, if you’re in the Illinois area, Shop n’ Save brand biscuits are amazing in this recipe!

Anonymous — October 4, 2011 @ 4:58 pm

I couldn’t find reduced fat biscuits anywhere, and had a can of regular grands at home. I’m going to only use 4 biscuits since they are so large, but even so it will add one P+ to the recipe

Lyndi — October 25, 2011 @ 5:30 pm

Do you happen to know the calories per serving??

Anonymous — November 5, 2011 @ 1:51 pm

I have made a similar recipe before using pizza ingredients. I use ground chicken or turkey, a jar of pizza sauce, veggies and reduced fat cheese, and of course the reduced fat biscuts. I altered the recipe that my grandma calls “Pizza Bubbles”. Emily, you should try this variation, it’s wonderful!

Kate — November 9, 2011 @ 3:34 am

I made this for the first time tonight! It was really good! After reading the comments I also added onion and green pepper that I sauteed beforehand. I think it added more to it and bulked it up. I will definitely make this again!

Nicole — December 2, 2011 @ 11:32 pm

Made this recently and loved it. My kids even asked for the leftovers! Thanks, Emily.

Elizabeth — January 3, 2012 @ 4:59 pm

Cooked this up for dinner last night. Looking forward to leftovers and that’s saying something. I had trouble finding the reduced fat biscuits at my Walmart as well. Found the reduced fat grands… Also, added taco seasoning to the turkey when I was browning it after reading that you used taco seasoned Jennie-o (who knew there was such a thing?!). Thanks for the yummy post.

Anonymous — January 7, 2012 @ 1:14 am

I made this tonight using Great Value biscuits -10 per can, regular cheese (picked up the wrong kind), and 93% lean beef. When I ran it through recipe builder, I got 9 points per 1/6 of recipe. Enjoyed it! Thanks!!!

Anonymous — July 8, 2012 @ 11:12 pm

found this on pinterest. I’m trying this tonight. It looks soo good! Thank you for the recipe!

Charleen's Recomendations! — July 30, 2012 @ 1:19 pm

Is there another choice besides biscuits…my family and I are not biscuit lovers..my mom use to make this with Frito’s..but I know this may not be an option…how about pizza dough…or tortillas? Do you have an alternative?

Anonymous — May 31, 2013 @ 6:02 am

If you use Pillsbury reduced fat biscuits the it comes up to 11 pts, so just make it into 8 servings instead of 6 and you’ve got it back down to 8 pts! :)

No Thanks to Cake — December 7, 2013 @ 8:43 pm

I just made this… slightly varied, but WOW, what an incredible cold weather dish!!! So delish! Thanks for sharing!!!

Shea — April 14, 2014 @ 3:43 pm

Would cheddar cheese suffice instead of Mexican cheese?

• Emily Bites replied: — April 14th, 2014 @ 9:07 pm

Absolutely!

April — May 12, 2014 @ 9:31 pm

SO yummy! My hubby loved it, too. Followed recipe exactly and wouldn’t change a thing! I am so happy I stumbled upon your website as I am trying to find yummy recipes without the guilt! And I absolutely LOVE that it was already in the My Fitness Pal database! Made my entry fast and easy!! Cannot wait to try more of your recipes!! :)

April — May 12, 2014 @ 9:48 pm

I posted my comment on the wrong one. . .made the revised version! Just to clarify. :)

Brenda Featherly — July 3, 2014 @ 7:57 pm

Made this tonight… It was good but not my favorite. I’m gonna try it again with some of the ideas above. Will let you know when I do! Thanks for the recipes! I’ve made several & have enjoyed them all!

1. Pingback: Vote Now: Best of 2011 Reader’s Choice Awards! » Emily Bites