I love fruit in my desserts, so the idea of baked strawberry doughnuts for breakfast definitely appealed to me. These doughnuts have more of a muffin consistency (fluffier, less dense) than the Baked Spice Doughnuts I tried previously, but they still made a tasty breakfast. I loved the juicy bites of strawberries in them. If you prefer your doughnuts super sweet, you may want to add a glaze to these, because they’re not overly sugary. I like them with just a hint of sweetness, but there are plenty of doughnut glaze recipes on the web if you do a search. I used agave nectar in place of the maple syrup in the original recipe simply because I had it on hand, and you could use either without affecting the points+ value. If you haven’t run out to buy a doughnut pan yet, I recommend it. These make an easy grab-and-go breakfast and everyone at work will be jealous when they see you eating doughnuts as part of your healthy lifestyle plan!
Yield: 6 doughnuts
- 1 c white whole wheat flour
- 1/3 c sugar
- 1 t baking powder
- 1/4 t cinnamon
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 1 egg
- 1 T melted butter
- 1/3 c diced strawberries
- 1 T agave nectar (or maple syrup)
- Preheat the oven to 425. Lightly spray a doughnut pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine strawberries and agave/maple syrup and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Add milk, egg and melted butter to the dry ingredients and mix until just combines. Stir in berry mixture.
- Fill each space (6) in your prepared doughnut pan about 2/3 full. Bake for 7-9 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before removing from the pan.
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
4 per serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
adapted from Stetted