No one will ever guess that these decadent chocolate cupcakes filled with gooey cherry filling and topped with thick chocolate frosting are light, and if you don’t want to tell them, your secret is safe with me! I love the combination of cherry and chocolate flavors and when I was brainstorming ideas for new cupcakes this was one I wanted to make right away. Filling the cupcakes was simpler than I thought it would be and using a grapefruit knife was a great way to easily remove a perfect cone from each cake. I’ve been on a bit of a cupcake kick ever since my Lemon-Lime Cupcakes turned out so well and I’m pretty proud of these ones. Enjoy!
Black Forest CupcakesSource: Emily Bites Original
1 (18.25 oz) box of chocolate cake mix (I used Betty Crocker Super Moist Chocolate Fudge)
1 can of diet cherry cola (I used Diet Dr. Pepper with Cherry)
2 egg whites
½ c light cherry pie filling
8 oz 1/3 less fat cream cheese
1 c powdered sugar
2 T unsweetened cocoa powder
Optional Garnish: 12 cherries (fresh or frozen with no additives, pitted and halved)
1. Preheat oven per directions on cake mix box.
2. Line cupcake pan(s) with 24 cupcake liners or use cooking spray to lightly coat 24 spots.
3. Combine the cake mix, soda and egg whites in a large bowl. Beat together with an electric mixer until thoroughly mixed. Pour mixture evenly into cupcake liners, filling each about 2/3 full.
4. Bake according to directions on cake mix box. Let cool completely.
5. Using a grapefruit knife or paring knife, cut into each cupcake at an angle to form an upside-down cone shape (see photos below) and remove the center. Scoop 1 teaspoon of pie filling into the opening in the cupcake. Cut the tip off the cone and place the “lid” back into the cupcake opening. Repeat with each cupcake.
6. In a large bowl combine the Neufchatel cheese, the cocoa powder and the sugar. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth and then use to frost the cupcakes. Top each cupcake with a cherry half if desired.
Filling Cupcakes Step 1: Cutting the Cone
Filling Cupcakes Step 2: Insert Filling
Filling Cupcakes Step 3: Cut the tip off the cone and insert the lid to cover the filling
Yields 24 servings. Weight Watchers Points Plus: 3 per serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Nutrition Information per cupcake from myfitnesspal.com: 130 calories, 24 g carbs, 3 g fat, 2 g protein, 1 g fiber