Apr 02

Eggplant Parmesan

This delicious main dish is so low in WW P+ and calories that you won’t feel the least bit guilty pairing it with a healthy side of pasta or a tasty dessert! Unlike in restaurants where eggplant parmesan is generally covered in bread crumbs and fried in oil, this one is coated in a blend of whole wheat panko crumbs, seasonings and freshly grated Parmesan cheese and baked in the oven until the inside is juicy and the outside is perfectly crisp. This is a great way to satisfy a craving for saucy, cheesy Italian flavors without expanding your waistline!

Eggplant Parmesan

Yield: 6 servings

• 1 medium eggplant (mine was on the larger side of medium - not gigantic but definitely not small either)
  • 3 egg whites
  • 1 ½ oz freshly grated Parmesan cheese (I grated mine on the smallest holed side of my box grater)
  • ¾ c whole wheat panko crumbs ( I used Ian’s brand – you can substitute regular panko crumbs without changing the P+ per serving, though wheat panko crumbs have less points and calories on their own)
  • ½ t garlic powder
  • ½ t dried basil flakes
  • ½ t oregano
  • 1 c tomato basil pasta sauce (I used Francesco Rinaldi To Be Healthy Tomato & Basil sauce)
  • ¾ c shredded reduced fat 2% mozzarella cheese

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly mist 2 baking sheets with olive oil cooking spray and set aside.
  2. Slice eggplant horizontally into ¼” thin rounds. In a small bowl, whisk the egg whites until the slightest bit bubbly. In a separate bowl or Ziploc bag, combine panko crumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, basil and oregano and stir or shake to thoroughly mix. Transfer mixture to a shallow dish. Dip each eggplant round with egg whites, allowing excess to drip off, and then place flat onto crumb mixture, pressing down a few times with your fingers. Flip eggplant and do the same on the other side to coat, then transfer to baking sheet. Repeat with remaining pieces. When all eggplant pieces are on the sheets, lightly mist the tops with olive oil cooking spray.
  3. Bake for 12-15 minutes (until bottoms start to turn golden brown), remove from oven and flip pieces and then continue baking for another 12-15 minutes. Remove eggplant from oven and spoon some of the pasta sauce onto the center of each round, then top each with mozzarella cheese. Return to oven and bake another 5 minute until cheese is melted.

4 per serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)

153 calories (from myfitnesspal.com)

An Emily Bites Original

18 Responses to “Eggplant Parmesan”

Amanda June — April 2, 2011 @ 2:50 pm

yum! How many servings does this make?

emilybites — April 2, 2011 @ 2:54 pm

Thanks Amanda! The servings are listed at the end of the recipe: “Yields 6 servings. WW P+: 4 per serving, 153 calories per serving”

Enjoy!

• Anonymous replied: — January 23rd, 2012 @ 6:11 am

Hi Emily! Thanks for all the amazing recipes :) Just want to verify something, is the wheat Panko the same points (P+) as regular Panko? Thanks!!

KJ — April 2, 2011 @ 4:21 pm

Looks delicious, Emily! This will probably be on my menu this week. Love eggplant parm and haven’t had it in FOREVER!

• emilybites replied: — April 17th, 2012 @ 8:07 pm

I hope you love it!

Bethany (Porktastic) — April 5, 2011 @ 2:24 am

I saw an eggplant in the grocery store this week but stopped myself from buying it because I didn’t know what to do with it. Now I’ll have to go back and find it :)

• emilybites replied: — April 17th, 2012 @ 8:08 pm

Yes, go back and get it! This is a really yummy way to eat eggplant. let me know what you think!

Kim — April 11, 2011 @ 11:12 pm

i’ve never had eggplant parm before, but my previous experience with eggplant has been that it is spongy in texture. is this true for this recipe or is it somewhat crispy?

• emilybites replied: — April 17th, 2012 @ 8:09 pm

The breading is crispy and the inside is soft, though not spongy. I hope you try this!

Anonymous — April 10, 2012 @ 9:58 pm

I made this for dinner tonight– oh my it was sooooooo good!

• emilybites replied: — April 17th, 2012 @ 8:09 pm

I’m so glad you loved it! :)

Kip — April 30, 2012 @ 8:38 pm

Emily, I am still confused as to what a serving is.. if you have one eggplant is a serving just one slice of the eggplant, you are cutting it into 6 slices??? Just want to make sure i have it right because I can’t wait to try it!

• emilybites replied: — May 2nd, 2012 @ 11:16 am

I’m sorry you are confused. You do not just cut it into 6 slices. Like the instructions state, cut it into 1/4″ thick slices. I can’t tell you how many this will make for you because I can’t see how long your eggplant is. Divide the number of slices you make by 6 and voila, you have a serving. One serving for me is pictured at the beginning and end of my post. Hope that helps! Enjoy.

Anonymous — September 22, 2012 @ 12:36 am

Emily,
    This is on my list next week. Alot of food for 4pts. Would this freeze well. I love eggplant but DH does not(His loss!).If so it would make a greatlow point lunch.

Bev Pasquariello — January 16, 2013 @ 12:54 am

ok gotta try love you stuff and eggplant you could say is a favorite when parmaseaned

Cassie — February 11, 2013 @ 10:34 pm

Hmm I’m making this for my anti-valentine’s day dinner and one of my friends dislikes cheese(shocking I know). I’m wondering (since she isn’t dieting anyway) if I use flavored italian breadcrumbs or season my panko breadcrumbs if it will still turn out good, seems like it would. Thoughts?

Anonymous — May 9, 2013 @ 2:20 am

Is your serving including the spaghetti and sauce as well? If not how much including amount of spaghetti and extra sauce? thanks!

• Emily Koenigsberg replied: — May 9th, 2013 @ 2:21 am

The nutrition info is only for the ingredients listed in the recipe. Hope that helps!