Apr 22

Mac & Cheese Muffins

Oh, how I love homemade macaroni & cheese. Unfortunately, I love it so much that I rarely make it for fear that I will lose all portion control abilities and end up eating far more than I planned. Enter the Mac & Cheese Muffin. These individual sized portions of creamy, cheesy pasta are the perfect solution to satiate your cravings without going overboard. I ate two of them for dinner with a side salad and was happily satisfied. I think one would also make a perfect side dish to chicken, beef or pork. There’s even spinach in these so you can feel good about getting in some veggies! I used real, full fat cheese in these (at still only 4 WW Points+ per muffin that seemed worth it to me) but if you want to lighten them up further you could use reduced fat cheeses. I chose sharp white cheddar and Gruyere but feel free to get creative and use any of your favorite cheeses instead!

Mac & Cheese Muffins

Yield: 12 muffins

• 4 c cooked whole wheat or high fiber macaroni
  • 1 T butter
  • 1 T flour
  • 1 c skim milk
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 3 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 3 oz Gruyere cheese, shredded
  • 1 egg
  • 1 egg white
  • 1 (10 oz) package of frozen chopped spinach, defrosted, drained and patted dry (or you could use 1 cup cooked fresh spinach)
  • Salt & pepper to taste

1. Pre-heat the oven to 400. Lightly mist a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside.
  2. In a small sauce pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour, mixing it into the butter until thick. Stir in the milk and garlic and raise the temp to bring the mixture to just under a boil. Add the cheese and whisk mixture together until thoroughly combined into a cheese sauce.
  3. Remove the cheese sauce from heat and then mix in the egg and egg white (binding agents) until combined.
  4. In a large bowl, combine the pasta, spinach, cheese sauce, salt and pepper and mix together. Spoon the mixture evenly into the cups of your prepared muffin tin.
  5. Bake for 10-15 minutes until the tops slightly brown. Let cool 5 minutes before removing from muffin tin.

4 per muffins (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)

149 calories, 15 g carbs, 6 g fat, 9 g protein, 2 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)

adapted from Slender Kitchen

171 Responses to “Mac & Cheese Muffins”

Ali — June 21, 2011 @ 4:23 pm

Hey Emily! I love this idea- I’m making them right now with cheddar and broccoli. I really love how the veggies bulk them up a little. Yeah power foods :)

• Anonymous replied: — November 16th, 2012 @ 1:14 am

Did you cook the broccoli before adding it to the recipe?

Anonymous — August 1, 2011 @ 3:31 pm

Do you think this would freeze well? I like the idea of being made in the muffin pan for portion control. It would be perfect for taking to work for lunch and just popping in the microwave.

• Anonymous replied: — January 19th, 2012 @ 2:29 pm

No. Pasta will become mush.

• emilybites replied: — January 22nd, 2012 @ 9:19 pm

I’ve actually had several people say they froze them and they re-heated great, so it’s worth a try! I didn’t freeze them personally.

• Anonymous replied: — April 15th, 2012 @ 1:51 am

pasta by itself will become mush, but with a hearty cheese like gruyere as a coating, it holds it’s texture well.

• Anonymous replied: — May 22nd, 2012 @ 11:19 pm

I just made this for my daughter before dance. It was quick and yummy!

• Anonymous replied: — July 6th, 2012 @ 11:01 pm

These look and sound great. I can’t wait to try them out. And yes they should freeze well. Esp considering all the frozen pasta dinners in the grocery stores.

• Anonymous replied: — August 16th, 2012 @ 4:35 pm

This is a bit late but I’d like to reinforce that freezing them works GREAT, it’s just as good as fresh. Just make sure you cook your noodles to al dente and not soft

• Anonymous replied: — September 14th, 2012 @ 11:54 pm

Yes, you can freeze and then just get them out as you want. I get only a few from the freezer to help with portion control.

• OrganicLove replied: — January 18th, 2014 @ 8:54 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

Anonymous — August 24, 2011 @ 4:51 am

Can any other cheese be used instead of gruyere?

emilybites — August 30, 2011 @ 12:21 am

Sure, use any cheeses you like!

I think they would probably freeze well, but I’ve never tried it. Let me know if you do!

Ivy Bliss — September 8, 2011 @ 10:54 pm

OH! I must make this. Thank you for sharing!
    ~Ivy

Caitlyn — September 11, 2011 @ 9:46 pm

What pasta are you using? When I put this recipe into the Recipe Builder, I’m getting 8 P+ per ONE muffin! The only thing I’m doing different is using a reduced-fat cheddar.

emilybites — September 11, 2011 @ 9:51 pm

Are you making it into 12 servings? I have no idea how you would get that. I used 4 cups of “cooked whole wheat macaroni” in the recipe builder. Are you maybe choosing “uncooked” in the recipe builder?

Caitlyn — September 15, 2011 @ 2:18 am

That’s it! I was using uncooked. Thanks. :)

FoodBeest — September 17, 2011 @ 10:18 pm

I can’t believe how good this recipe is and I love the individual portions which allows me to easily decide how much I will eat. My husband devoured them (and he wasn’t on WW or any diet). Will be making them again this week and I can’t wait.

Shawna — September 21, 2011 @ 6:28 am

I haven’t made mac & cheese since I started WW in May because I was worried that I would devour an entire day’s worth of points in a sitting. This recipe looks fantastic and I love that it’s so low in points. Guess I’m making mac & cheese tomorrow!! Oh, and I love the idea of freezing them. Might have to try that too.

Charlotte Ferreux — September 23, 2011 @ 4:08 am

I love your recipe and posted it on my community foodie blog. Hope you can come check it out at http://www.facebook.com/thefrenchiefoodie

C

Lisa H. — October 31, 2011 @ 5:12 pm

For those who were wondering, yes this freezes very well! Of course, you lose some of that nice crustiness you get when it’s fresh out of the oven, but that’s to be expected.

Also, for those looking to get their healthy oils in, I suggest drizzling some olive oil over this. Very yummy!

Anonymous — November 15, 2011 @ 2:37 am

What are the nutrition facts? like the calorie content per serving?

emilybites — November 15, 2011 @ 2:44 am

I don’t currently post the NI for my recipes. I determine the Points + per serving by using the recipe builder on the Weight Watchers web site and that does not provide nutrition information. It’s something I’d like to add in the future. Thanks.

• Anonymous replied: — August 31st, 2012 @ 2:06 pm

I used reduced fat old cheddar and Swiss emmental cheese and everything else the same as the recipe and this is the nutrition info I calculated per muffin

Calories: 220
      Fat: 5.65
      Carb: 30.3
      Fibre: 3.89
      Protein: 11.93

Sara @ Real Fun Food — November 16, 2011 @ 11:53 pm

I’m completely in love with this idea. Totally trying it.

emilybites — November 20, 2011 @ 5:49 pm

Sara – do it, they’re yummy! :)

candee — November 24, 2011 @ 4:18 am

When you put the pasta in the mix, is it already cooked or uncooked? I know some baked pasta recipes dont require the pasta to be cooked first.

emilybites — November 24, 2011 @ 4:20 am

Candee – definitely cooked

Anonymous — November 24, 2011 @ 8:00 pm

Oh thank you!!! Making this for the Thanksgiving dinner today[–looks yummy already and the family is looking forward to sampling “diet ‘ food…lol thanks again! sherry

Anonymous — December 4, 2011 @ 2:13 am

Would this be good party/finger food? Or should it be eaten with a fork? Either way it looks yummy and I can’t wait to try!

• suzy replied: — September 25th, 2012 @ 2:56 am

I think wild be a great party/finger food if you made them in the mini muffin tins? Oh yum, gonna do it.

Anonymous — December 6, 2011 @ 2:37 am

Hey there, great idea! I am going to try this for my picky 14 month old who LOVES mac n cheese. I was wondering though how many calories each cup is? thanks!

emilybites — December 6, 2011 @ 2:45 am

I ate them with a fork but I think they’d make great party food too!

I don’t know the calories, sorry. I only calculate the Weight Watchers points + using the Recipe Builder on weightwatchers.com. Hope you try it and love it!

Danielle — December 9, 2011 @ 7:43 pm

I love this!! Thanks for calculating the points, makes it even better for me. Going to the store after work to make them. Did anyone try broccoli instead of spinach, that sounds delicious.

Tzipeee — December 10, 2011 @ 1:17 am

Hiya! Just lifted these delectable delights out of the oven but they’re not super muffiny. Like, they don’t hold shape too well getting out of the pan. where did I go wrong? :(

• Anonymous replied: — October 14th, 2012 @ 12:09 am

Mine didn’t hold together at all!! I just had to scrape them into a glass bowl. Stuff yummy, but no portion control…

Anonymous — December 11, 2011 @ 12:34 pm

Wonder if they will work with gluten free pasta? Will have to try it out!

Anonymous — December 12, 2011 @ 7:17 am

Sorry but what do you mean when you say “1 T”?

Julie : ) — December 13, 2011 @ 3:57 pm

thank you so much for this recipe! I think this is my 14 month old’s favorite food in the world! I will try to freeze some as well – i ended up with tons of extra….i made the cooked vs uncooked mistake.

emilybites — December 14, 2011 @ 9:42 pm

Tzipeee – I’m not sure…it’s hard for me to tell not being in the kitchen with you. Mine held together well. They’re not really supposed to be “muffiny”, as in pick them up and bite in like a muffin. They’re a knife and fork kind of thing. Mine held their muffin shape though. Try again! :)

Anonymous #1 – I’ve never used gluten free pasta, but if you try it out let me know if it works!

Anonymous #2:
    T = standard abbreviation for Tablespoon
    t = standard abbreviation for teaspoon.

Hope that helps :)

Julie – oops! I wonder if I should bold “cooked” in the pasta ingredient or something since a few people overlooked it. Glad they were still good!

Anonymous — January 1, 2012 @ 1:10 am

Made this tonight. We didn’t do the muffins since it was for the whole family and we did add some Cajun seasoning. All in all, it was a hit.

• emilybites replied: — January 19th, 2012 @ 2:03 am

Awesome, glad it was a hit!

One-Butt-Kitchen — January 18, 2012 @ 6:26 am

This is going in my arsenal for lunches I can make ahead of time and take to work. Awesome recipe!

• emilybites replied: — January 19th, 2012 @ 2:04 am

Thanks! It’s always nice to have some grab-and-go lunch ideas. Hope you like it!

Jennifer — January 22, 2012 @ 5:13 pm

I used gluten-free pasta and froze them. They heated up great, no mushiness at all. Thanks for the recipe, they are perfect for a last minute lunch that is nutritious and gluten-free!

• emilybites replied: — January 22nd, 2012 @ 9:18 pm

Awesome, so happy you were able to adapt them!

Anonymous — January 24, 2012 @ 12:02 am

I did gluten free also and they came out great. I under cooked the pasta a little cause I knew they’d cook more in the oven. I used other cheeses, mixtures of what I had in the house. They are best piping hot. By the time they were out of the oven 10-15 mins they were loosing their creaminess.

• emilybites replied: — January 24th, 2012 @ 12:06 am

Glad to hear these work well with gluten free pasta and that you enjoyed them!

Anonymous — January 24, 2012 @ 9:04 pm

What do you think about freezing these? Have you ever? Do they hold up well?

• Anonymous replied: — January 24th, 2012 @ 9:06 pm

Oops, nevermind. I see the responses on freezing. :)

LisaD — January 28, 2012 @ 7:03 pm

I just made these minus the spinach–only because my kids wouldn’t eat them! So easy to make! I know it changes the calories/points, but I added crushed up croutons mixed with a little bit of butter to the tops! Creates a great crunch!

Oh, and I also tested them in a mini muffin pan. Made Mac & Cheese Bites! Would be perfect as an appetizer!!!!

Thank you for sharing this recipe!

• emilybites replied: — January 28th, 2012 @ 8:03 pm

Yum, the crumb topping sounds delicious! So happy they were a hit. :)

• Anonymous replied: — May 31st, 2012 @ 10:32 am

Try mixing in cauliflower instead, precooked & chopped finely. Since it’s white, it will blend in w/ the rest of the ingredients & they will never know they are eating a healthy vege!

• NoNo Nannette replied: — September 24th, 2012 @ 12:33 am

How long did you bake them, went you use a mini muffin pan?

Lori — February 8, 2012 @ 12:04 am

These are amazing! So delicious!!

• emilybites replied: — February 9th, 2012 @ 3:08 am

Thanks Lori! Glad you liked them :)

Cheryl — February 8, 2012 @ 12:32 pm

I am going to try these, they look amazing!

• emilybites replied: — February 9th, 2012 @ 3:08 am

Hope you like them!

natlizmac — February 8, 2012 @ 10:25 pm

I love your blog! I just shared this recipe on my blog for fun macaroni & cheese options:

Check it out at natlizmac.wordpress.com :: I’d love a shout out :)

• emilybites replied: — February 9th, 2012 @ 3:12 am

Thanks! Great post, I love macaroni & cheese!

Lori in NC — February 13, 2012 @ 11:54 pm

My ten year old just ate 2 1/2 of these. He’s a mac & cheese expert, so that’s high praise. I enjoyed them, too. I used broccoli instead of spinach, and only made a half batch, but followed the recipe otherwise. My son also asked why I don’t make these more often. I guess they’ll be on the menu again soon!

• emilybites replied: — February 15th, 2012 @ 8:07 pm

Awesome, I’m so happy they were ‘expert-approved!’ :)

Laura — February 16, 2012 @ 2:10 am

I made these tonight and they are amazing. I used gouda and gruyere and had to do half macaroni, half penne because I didn’t have as much macaroni as I thought. The portion size is small but they are so good and when I plug in my stats it said 2 were 7 points which is not bad for two. I plan on taking them as snacks for my call day/night tomorrow. I think my husband will love them when he gets home from work too. As always thank you for the wonderful recipes.

• emilybites replied: — February 19th, 2012 @ 2:13 am

Glad you liked them! I definitely eat two as a serving.

Anonymous — February 17, 2012 @ 6:52 am

Just made these, so simple and delish! Used Fontina with the Cheddar:) Thanks!

• emilybites replied: — February 19th, 2012 @ 2:12 am

Yum! Glad you liked them :)

Anonymous — February 22, 2012 @ 12:04 am

Dear Emily,

I just made this and it was amazing! Very simple and healthy. Instead of using 4 cups of the macaroni, I used 3 cups and added a cup of green beans as well and it turned out great!

Thank you so much!

• emilybites replied: — February 23rd, 2012 @ 3:14 pm

So happy you loved these!

Teach42 — February 25, 2012 @ 11:01 pm

Emily, I just found your site through seeing a pic of this recipe on Pinterest. Made a single batch, with three of them sans spinach for my son, and the rest were overloaded with greenery. Incredibly delicious and a brilliant way to manage portion control!

Tomorrow we try out three other ‘cupcake’ recipes :) Thanks for sharing dishes that aren’t only delicious but are healthy as well!

• emilybites replied: — February 25th, 2012 @ 11:27 pm

I’m so glad these were a hit! Let me know what you think of the other “cupcakes” as well. Thanks so much for posting! :)

Lauren — February 29, 2012 @ 9:14 pm

These looks wonderful! I love mac and cheese and spinach. I might be adding bacon to this as well! Yum Yum!!!!

• emilybites replied: — March 1st, 2012 @ 12:51 am

Mmm, bacon. Enjoy!

Anonymous — April 7, 2012 @ 1:12 pm

Hi! I have a question…How should these be strored over night? I am making them today for work tomorrow. Also should they be served warmed? Room temp? Chilled? Please hit me with some suggestions! Thanks!

• emilybites replied: — April 7th, 2012 @ 7:32 pm

You can just store them in a sealed tupperware in the refrigerator. You can serve them at any temperature but I ate them warmed. I hope they’re a hit!

Andrea J — April 12, 2012 @ 8:18 pm

I made this today with mini farfalle and daiya cheese. I added about 3oz. of pepperjack with my 3oz of cheddar & 3oz of mozz. (dairy allergy) I think next time I’ll use pepperjack only! I also made mine in 6oz ramakins instead of a muffin tin. But that’s because I was cooking a bunch of stuff today. :) Thanks for sharing your terrific ideas. Heading to the store in a bit to buy what I need to make the breakfast muffins! :)

• emilybites replied: — April 17th, 2012 @ 7:48 pm

Mmm, pepperjack. Sounds delicious! I’m glad you liked these. Let me know how the breakfast muffins turn out!

• Lisah replied: — December 3rd, 2012 @ 11:19 pm

How did the cheese melt? My daughter has a dairy allergy too

Lady Like — April 18, 2012 @ 9:05 pm

just made these for the first time and they are awesome :) I suck at cooking,but i couldnt mess these up :) I even got creative throwing in alot more cheese,and then putting chunks of bread on top (didnt have breadcrumbs) which toasted up nicely and then some more shredded cheese on top…i know its not WW,but the crunchiness of the bread vs the pasta is amazzzzzing!!! Plus it looks even more like a cupcake!!

• emilybites replied: — April 24th, 2012 @ 1:22 am

It doesn’t sound like you suck at cooking to me! Yum! Glad you loved these :)

Crisha Ware — April 22, 2012 @ 3:54 pm

Just made these the other day and they were delish… My boyfriend loved them too and couldnt believe they were weight watchers friendly. I found one of your receipes on Pinterest and I am absolutely in love with your site and I cant wait to try all of the other receipes. Also I recently shared your site with my weight watchers meeting, so expect to see more traffic from the Spring, TX area.

• emilybites replied: — April 24th, 2012 @ 1:23 am

Thanks so much for the shout out! I’m glad you found me and that you and your boyfriend both loved these. Let me know what else you make :)

Amy - LIParentSource — May 9, 2012 @ 2:05 pm

I made these last night and they were delicious, but they didn’t stay formed. I think maybe the spinach was too wet. I’l make them again and try to dry the spinach better – but really they were delicious and my kids LOVED them!!

• emilybites replied: — May 24th, 2012 @ 12:37 am

Hm, sorry they didn’t stay together. Glad they tasted yummy though!

Anonymous — May 10, 2012 @ 7:38 pm

I haven’t made these yet but saved them for my next pasrty. Thank you for includng the points plus points!

• emilybites replied: — May 24th, 2012 @ 12:39 am

No problem! I hope they’re a hit!

Wendy — May 25, 2012 @ 3:01 pm

I think I must have done something way wrong. With 4 cups of pasta I had wayyy more muffins than 12 and the consistancy didn’t hold them together. The macaroni was good though and my kids liked it. How is this just 12 muffins though? What do you think I calculated wrong?

• emilybites replied: — June 27th, 2012 @ 12:33 am

Did you accidentally use 4 cups of UNcooked pasta? That would make way more pasta than you need.

Anonymous — May 25, 2012 @ 11:35 pm

Omgoodness! These are amazing. An easy side dish or like you I might heat up a couple and add a salad. I also found this on pinterest. Do you have a site with other recipes? Or even better a cookbook? If not you should!!
    Bravo:-)

Kate — June 27, 2012 @ 12:29 am

I made these a few months ago and the result was NOT pretty! The cheese mixture turned out brownish (I know – ick), it was super greasy and it didn’t stick together. I obviously did something wrong. I made them again tonight and they were AMAZING! Just as they were supposed to be. Not sure what I did wrong the first time, but glad I gave it another shot! It’s a keeper!

• emilybites replied: — June 27th, 2012 @ 12:31 am

Kate – I’m so glad you gave them another shot and that they turned out great this time! :)

Anonymous — June 30, 2012 @ 5:14 pm

Love these! I just made them although not as much spinach as I was too lazy to go pick a bunch and used the cheese I had on hand(sharp cheddar and motzzerella). I only had a 6 muffin pan so I pulled out my mini muffin pan and used the leftover mixture to make 20 mini bites! Baked those for 8 minutes and amazing…however makes it easier to just pop in your mouth and eat too many.

• emilybites replied: — July 14th, 2012 @ 11:56 pm

I’m glad you loved these! I could definitely see the mini muffin version being addicting!

Anonymous — July 3, 2012 @ 11:32 pm

Like so many others, I haven’t had mac and cheese since joining Weight Watchers. I’m so excited to try these! They’re in the oven now and smell amazing. Also, I’ve never made a cheese sauce from scratch before. That was surprisingly easy! I’m so glad this recipe made me try something new.

• emilybites replied: — July 14th, 2012 @ 11:57 pm

I hope you loved them! :)

Anne — July 6, 2012 @ 5:54 pm

These are awesome! my 14 yo son loved them, too, which is wonderful as he’ll have access to a microwave at lunch next year so we’ll be looking for freezable options for quick to pack lunches.

• emilybites replied: — July 14th, 2012 @ 11:57 pm

Glad to hear these were a hit! :)

Vic — July 7, 2012 @ 2:16 am

I made these vegan, with veggie “cheddar” and ” “mozzarella” shreds, almond milk and crumbled tofu instead of egg (I didn’t use flour either) and a lil shallots, nutmeg, pepper, and other spices to enhance the flavor. I also thaw the spinach in the same boiling water the macs were being cooked. They were great, I loved thm, this idea is terrific.

• emilybites replied: — July 14th, 2012 @ 11:58 pm

Yay, I’m glad you were able to adapt them to fit your needs and that they still tasted delicious!

Kelly — July 12, 2012 @ 5:40 pm

I’m going to try making these with Broccoli and all cheddar cheese, since I’m allergic to spinach and do not like Gruyere cheese. MyFitnessPal.com recipe builder says that per serving it’ll have approx. 116 calroies, 6g of protein and 16 carbs. Since I just had Weight Loss Surgery a month ago, I’m looking for meals I can make and freeze, then take out of the freezer and heat as needed, since I do not care to cook! Thanks for your ideas!

• emilybites replied: — July 15th, 2012 @ 12:00 am

I’m sure they’ll be delicious with broccoli!

jennifer berlinger — July 14, 2012 @ 9:09 pm

This was awful! I couldn’t get one muffin to turn out…NEVER again :(

• emilybites replied: — July 15th, 2012 @ 12:01 am

Sorry you hated it so much! I’m surprised because this is such a popular recipe. Oh well, can’t win ‘em all!

Sonya — July 18, 2012 @ 12:40 pm

I made these for Dinner Last Night and It was a HIT!!!
    These Are Fantastic!!!

• emilybites replied: — October 2nd, 2012 @ 11:51 pm

Glad you loved them, Sonya!

Catherine Lewis — July 24, 2012 @ 5:46 pm

Just made these and they are awesome, going to post on my mommas site
    http://www.portlandsprouts.com my 15 month son has eaten half the pan already and he isn’t messy like when he eats regular macaroni.
    -Catherine

• emilybites replied: — October 2nd, 2012 @ 11:52 pm

Happy to hear they were a hit! :)

Bevin — July 31, 2012 @ 3:46 pm

Oh my goodness these are delicious Emily! I made them last night. We put a little bit of franks red hot on top after they were cooked and it was amazing! (John didn’t even care that there was spinach in it :)

• emilybites replied: — October 2nd, 2012 @ 11:53 pm

Haha, I’m impressed that you got him to eat a veggie. I’m happy you both loved them! :)

Maria Vivian — August 2, 2012 @ 6:17 am

I really want to try this but I’m lactose intolerant. What can replace the milk in the recipe?

• emilybites replied: — October 2nd, 2012 @ 11:53 pm

Hi Maria. I’ve never tried anything besides milk, so I’m not sure. Maybe try non-dairy milk?

• Anonymous replied: — December 2nd, 2012 @ 6:20 pm

We have dairy intolerances in our household (1 = lactose, 1 = casein) and I make cheese sauce similar to above using either Rich’s Coffee Rich (add water in whatever proportion you prefer using the chart on the carton), plain soy milk (rice would work too), or Silk’s PureCoconut plain, and about 5 slices of Tofutti “American” dairy-free slices (Daiya shreds also work). The coconut milk works the best (because it has more fat than the other milk substitutes).

Susan B — August 2, 2012 @ 7:44 pm

I am definately going to make these as mini muffins for my next party..one batch this way and another with bacon and cheddar for the men ;)

• emilybites replied: — October 2nd, 2012 @ 11:54 pm

Sounds delicious, hope they were a hit!

Carrie Appel — August 6, 2012 @ 12:39 am

I Just have to say that I LOOOOOVE ur blog! I made these last week for dinner & my sister snarled her nose @ the sight of the spinach mixed in…how about dont knock it til u try it! SHE LOVED IT! Mr.Hooah(the hubs) loved it too! I cannot wait to fix this again! Love all ur awesome recipes, we are trying the amazing cheesy rice tonite! (:
    -Carrie Eve @
    a-hooahs-housewife.blogspot.com

• emilybites replied: — October 2nd, 2012 @ 11:55 pm

Aw, thanks, Carrie! I’m glad everyone ended up loving them, spinach and all. Hope the mexi-rice was just as popular!

Jess — August 10, 2012 @ 6:55 am

For whatever reason mine dont seem to be sticking. Ive tried it twice now. They just seem to fall apart. In Australia we dont really work in oz but rather grams, and even with the conversion… I feel like I’ve missed something. Maybe I’m not baking long enough or something… I dont know… its starting to annoy me given how many successful responses. lol. I have a gas stove so its hard for me to figure out how long to leave them in, after 10-15 min they are still well under cooked… so… Hmmm will report back after my third batch lol.

• Anonymous replied: — October 14th, 2012 @ 12:16 am

Mine all fell apart too. I am so bummed because this is such a great idea. I will try again but I followed the directions. The mac was still good though, I just ate in like normal.

Jess — August 10, 2012 @ 8:18 am

I take everything back! I made it, it worked out perfect. I had the conversion wrong. I did have a little bit of left over pasta though, I think 3 cups would have been suffice, also I added just a little bit more cheese than you originally had in your recipe, next time I might try it with broccoli… They are so yummy! :) Thank you so much for taking the time out to share your recipes with us.

• emilybites replied: — October 2nd, 2012 @ 11:55 pm

I’m glad you figured it out and loved them! :)

completelyrandomsally — August 12, 2012 @ 1:48 am

Holy Macaroni and Cheese, BATMAN!!!!!

This was delicious.

• emilybites replied: — October 2nd, 2012 @ 11:56 pm

Haha, yay :)

Carol | a cup of mascarpone — August 13, 2012 @ 10:46 am

Just came across these on pinterest! They are brilliant! Can’t wait to try!

• emilybites replied: — October 2nd, 2012 @ 11:56 pm

I hope you love them, Carol!

Sara — August 16, 2012 @ 10:54 pm

This looks delicious. Found your site through pinterest.

• emilybites replied: — October 2nd, 2012 @ 11:56 pm

Thanks! I hope you try them out!

Laurie — September 4, 2012 @ 1:57 am

Do you think you could serve these room temp? Thinking of lunch for kids??

• emilybites replied: — October 2nd, 2012 @ 11:57 pm

Definitely!

Denise R — September 11, 2012 @ 2:50 am

Thanks so much for the recipes, Emily! I just joined WW last week and was dreading the idea of eating diet food….then I found your recipes on Pinterest! So far I made the Chicken Parm Meatloaf Muffins, the Southwest Eggrolls and the Mac & Cheese! Loved them all…even my kids are eating this stuff up. They don’t even know it’s good for them!! The recipes are so easy to make and they take very little time! Love them! I need to get a mini muffin pan because I can’t wait to try those Banana Pancake mini muffins!!

• emilybites replied: — October 2nd, 2012 @ 11:57 pm

I’m so glad you’ve been loving the recipes! Thanks for letting me know :)

tanya1234 — September 11, 2012 @ 10:39 am

going to try it

• emilybites replied: — October 2nd, 2012 @ 11:58 pm

Hope you love it!

Anonymous — September 24, 2012 @ 2:23 am

Made Mac & Cheese Bites! I would in to make these in a mini muffin I think they would make a perfect appetizer, but how long should I bake them and what is the best way to rewarm them

• emilybites replied: — October 2nd, 2012 @ 11:58 pm

I’ve never made them that way so you’d have to try it and see – report back!

Sydney — September 24, 2012 @ 4:28 pm

Those look so great!

• emilybites replied: — October 2nd, 2012 @ 11:58 pm

Thanks!

Carlo — September 25, 2012 @ 12:11 pm

What a great twist on an old standard, taking ‘n Cheese to a whole other level. I love this recipe idea. And for me, it’s a definite “must try”. Oh, I also like how someone said to switch it up by changing the cheese and the vegetable to cheddar and broccoli. That also sounds good.

• emilybites replied: — October 3rd, 2012 @ 12:00 am

Let me know what you think!

Babe_Chilla — September 25, 2012 @ 6:41 pm

How do you think there would do made ahead a day THEN cooked?

• emilybites replied: — October 3rd, 2012 @ 12:00 am

I’ve never tried that so I can’t really say. I’d probably just make them a day ahead and reheat them instead.

Anonymous — September 30, 2012 @ 2:08 am

My kids love this recipe. I substituted the spinach for chopped broccoli and use all cheddar cheese and they come out great. They freeze pretty well too.

• emilybites replied: — October 3rd, 2012 @ 12:01 am

Sounds yummy – glad they were a hit!

Anonymous — September 30, 2012 @ 11:43 pm

This looks really good I’m going to try this.

• emilybites replied: — October 3rd, 2012 @ 12:01 am

Hope you love it!

JustMeBeingMe — October 2, 2012 @ 7:37 pm

I love these :) I made them last week and I’ve probably had one a day since!! its
    so nice being able to eat mac and cheese again!

• emilybites replied: — October 3rd, 2012 @ 12:02 am

Yay, I’m so happy you love them :)

Anonymous — October 24, 2012 @ 4:39 pm

I want to try these but it’s only me and I want to freeze them and reheat. Just not sure how long I would reheat them and if in a microwave or a toasteroven? any idea?

jmerenberg — November 13, 2012 @ 5:27 pm

I made these last night for my book club and they were so good! Thank you :)

L8rsBaby — December 26, 2012 @ 7:37 pm

OMG – these look incredible. as I’m starting back to WW tonight I’m looking for great recipes that I’ll enjoy. Can’t wait to make these!

Jennifer fay — December 27, 2012 @ 7:27 pm

what an awesome way to serve up mac & cheese! I am so trying this!!!

Melissa L. — January 10, 2013 @ 7:26 pm

I SO want to try these but I don’t like adding egg in my mac and cheese. Do you know of any substitute for the eggs?

• emilybites replied: — January 10th, 2013 @ 7:38 pm

You can’t taste the egg at all, I promise! The egg is just what holds it together. If you leave it out they wont hold their shape.

• Anonymous replied: — January 14th, 2013 @ 12:15 pm

How many pp+

T.A. Woods — January 21, 2013 @ 1:11 am

This looks so good! I’m definitely going to try it. I pinned this one to my Dinner Deelites Pinterest board. I found you from the Aloha Blog Hop. Hope you stop by.

Erin — February 12, 2013 @ 5:00 pm

Made this last night for dinner, after reading about some people having trouble with these holding together I decided to use cupcake liners…worked like a charm! My husband was obsessed and wants me to make more later on this week. They were wonderful!

Katherine C — February 21, 2013 @ 1:12 am

Made these tonight – they are the BOMB i LOVE spinach and feta so i substituted feta cheese and mozzerella and crumbled feta on top before baking it was awesome, thanks so much for the recipe! (thanks to Pinterest too :P) Looking forard to seeing what else you have at your site!

joanie crombie — February 26, 2013 @ 10:13 pm

I made a double batch for the office and they are going fast! Everyone loves them!!!! Another winner from Emily!!! yahoo!

Madison Genevieve — March 4, 2013 @ 4:45 am

Really want to try this! Does T mean tablespoon, and also do you cook the noodles before combining with everything else?

Zoe — March 26, 2013 @ 11:42 am

That’s actually a great idea. It’s weird that I have never thought of this before. I am so glad that I found this post. Thanks!

Cathy and Jaimee — June 17, 2013 @ 5:48 pm

I recently made this recipe to review on my recipe review blog, TheGOODPins.Blogspot.com, and I have to say that I really loved it. The ingredients were a bit pricey, so I can’t say I would make these all the time, but what a special treat for a special meal. Thanks so much for sharing!

Vanessa — June 30, 2013 @ 12:30 am

I just made these last week. They are phenomenal. I froze most of them and take out one each day. I used pepper jack cheese instead of gruyere, because that’s what I had on hand. My boyfriend and my mom both loved them. I now have a new favorite. This is perfect to cook for entertaining, too. Thanks!

Michelle — October 10, 2013 @ 12:55 am

I made these this week and love, love, LOVE them. I have been taking two for lunch each day along with a side of veggies. I love the cheese variety and the chewiness of the spinach. I have some in the freezer and when I bust those out I will let you now how they taste.

OrganicLove — January 18, 2014 @ 9:00 pm

Just make this for lunch with my 8yr old! My family and I absolutely loved it! Very easy to prepare if you are in need to fix something rather quick and satisfying! I let them sit to cool for a few and tipped them right out! Thanks! :) P.S.I also put a little bit of chicken in the middle of my husband’s!

Slow-Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup — April 15, 2014 @ 3:50 pm

This is really a great idea. Hope My family will enjoy this dish.

Renee Reade — July 14, 2014 @ 3:32 pm

Make these mac and cheese muffins all the time. Excellent! This last time I used the gruyere cheese and a three pepper jack cheese to give some spice. This was a real hit.

1. Pingback: Cheeseburger "Cupcakes" » Emily Bites