May 09

Mixed Berry French Toast Bake

This dish was a huge hit with my family for Mother’s Day Brunch and it was so easy to make! You basically just pour some ingredients in a baking dish the night before, chill overnight and then bake the next morning. The results were delicious. I love berries with French toast, and the brown sugar crumble gave a sweet contrast to some of the tart berries. The texture of the French toast came out perfect too; the top was a bit crispy and the bottom was soft without being too mushy. We served this with a side of turkey bacon and some refreshing peach iced tea wine spritzers (delicious) and the whole brunch was filling, tasty and perfect for a celebration!

Mixed Berry French Toast

Yield: 8 servings

• 1 loaf (1 lb) French bread, cubed
  • 6 egg whites
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 ¾ c skim milk
  • 1 t sugar
  • 1 t cinnamon
  • 1 t vanilla extract
  • ¼ t salt
  • 1 package (12 oz) frozen unsweetened mixed berries (you could substitute fresh)
  • 2 T cold butter
  • 1/3 c packed brown sugar

1. Lightly mist a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray and fill with bread cubes. In a large bowl, whisk together the egg whites, eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and salt until combined. Pour egg mixture evenly over the bread cubes. Cover dish with aluminum foil and refrigerate overnight (or 8 hours).
  2. Remove the frozen berries from the freezer 30 minutes before baking to let them defrost and pre-heat the oven to 350. Remove the baking dish from the refrigerator and bake it in the oven, covered, for 30 minutes.
  3. Put the brown sugar in a small bowl and using two knives, cut the cold butter into the brown sugar until combined into a fine crumble. When the baking dish comes out of the oven, sprinkle the berries evenly over the top of the bread, followed by the brown sugar crumb topping. Return to the oven, uncovered, and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes.

8 per serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)

Source: Taste of Home

Pin It

12 Responses to “Mixed Berry French Toast Bake”

Bean — May 9, 2011 @ 5:09 pm

I MUST make this!! It look absolutely delicious!! Thanks for sharing!

Linda — May 9, 2011 @ 5:29 pm

This was delicious! I am eating the leftovers right now and enjoying every bite! Thanks for the great brunch Em!

Jeanette Marie — May 9, 2011 @ 7:26 pm

Would this work with all egg whites?

emilybites — May 9, 2011 @ 8:21 pm

@ Bean – you should, it’s so good!

@ Mom – I’m glad you liked it! You’re the best. :)

@ Jeanette – I’m not sure as I made the recipe as written above. I’ve never made French toast with egg whites only. If you try it, let me know how it turns out!

Nicole — June 17, 2011 @ 4:45 am

I modified this into a cupcake recipe! I made 24 “cupcakes” and I chopped up the thawed berries and mixed the butter and sugar right in. I also use “pan de leche” which I thought would be a delicious base for french toast. I haven’t tried them yet (they’re for a staff breakfast tomorrow) but they worked out to 2 points plus each.

However, I did notice that when I put this recipe into the WW recipe builder it came up as 7… And the weird thing is that the pan de leche is fewer points than the french bread, and I use light butter. I don’t get it…. whatevs.

emilybites — June 17, 2011 @ 7:57 am

Nicole – I double checked my recipe builder figures and you’re right! I had the French Bread in there as “1 loaf” instead of “1 lb”, thank you for correcting me. Oops!

The cupcake idea sounds great, let me know how they turn out!

Nicole — June 17, 2011 @ 1:21 pm

okay thanks for double checking! I will for sure post as to how they turned out officially.

Sarah — March 27, 2012 @ 3:49 am

Hi Emily! Just wanted to let you know I made this tonight for my family and we all LOVED it! Even the 11 month old ate her entire plate. It’s such a treat that is WW friendly but so delicious! Thanks for the great recipe!

• emilybites replied: — March 30th, 2012 @ 10:46 pm

Thanks, Sarah! I’m happy to hear it was a hit with the whole family! :)

Anonymous — January 2, 2013 @ 3:51 am

Hey Emily, I have a sensitivity to refined sugar…do you think I could modify this with either honey or real maple syrup?

Thanks!

Kristen Holt — March 16, 2013 @ 10:18 pm

How many calories per serving?

Susie — May 28, 2013 @ 5:10 pm

Hi Emily!

Just made this for breakfast this morning and my whole family LOVED it!! Your PointsPlus recipes are wonderful! Keep them coming!!!

Susie