Jul 27

Zucchini Squares

I realized recently that I haven’t posted many side dishes to my blog. I tend to focus more on the main course and then throw some vegetables or a salad on my plate to complete the meal. Then the other day when I was having dinner at my parents’ house, and my mom made these zucchini squares as a side to barbecue chicken. They were delicious and I was reminded that a good side dish can add a lot toward turning a plate of food into a meal. Sorry I neglected you, side dishes. This one’s for you.

This recipe is kind of a classic. I like to think of it as an oldie but goodie. The texture is like a crust-less quiche. Parmesan and zucchini are always fantastic together, and this is no exception. These squares are light and fluffy, herby and flavorful, cheesy and healthy. They’re a perfect complement to any meat dish. There’s a reason people have been making these for years: they are delicious.

Zucchini Squares

Yield: 12 servings

• 3 c shredded zucchini
  • 1 c Bisquick Heart Smart Baking Mix
  • ½ c finely chopped onion
  • ¼ t oregano
  • ¼ t black pepper
  • ½ t salt
  • dash of garlic powder
  • 2 T parsley, finely chopped
  • ½ c grated Parmesan cheese
  • ¼ c vegetable oil
  • 4 eggs, lightly beaten

1. Preheat the oven to 350. Lightly mist a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray.
  2. In a large bowl, stir together all listed ingredients until combined. Pour ingredients into the prepared baking dish and spread.
  3. Bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cut into 12 squares.

3 per serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)

NUTRITION INFORMATION:
127 calories, 9 g carbs, 8 g fat, 5 g protein, 0 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)

Source: About.com

16 Responses to “Zucchini Squares”

Anonymous — July 28, 2011 @ 8:17 pm

Emily – These are delicious – there is a very similar recipe on the Bisquick website. My great-grandmother used to make these in mini muffin tins, which I have started doing this summer. They are always a huge hit with EVERYONE and eat mini muffin is around 1 point plus! Your readers will not be disappointed with this dish! Yum!

emilybites — July 29, 2011 @ 2:54 pm

Mini muffins are a fun idea for these! This recipe has been around forever and I’m so happy I was reminded of it – yum.

Anonymous — August 1, 2011 @ 12:29 am

These will really good and super easy! I will certainly be making them again!

• emilybites replied: — February 9th, 2012 @ 4:05 pm

Glad they were a hit!

Stacy — August 3, 2011 @ 12:44 am

These sound delicious!!

• emilybites replied: — February 9th, 2012 @ 4:04 pm

Thanks Stacy!

Anonymous — February 9, 2012 @ 2:18 pm

question! do you think this would work well with spinach too? i have a few 10oz boxes of frozen spinach in my freezer… may give it a whirl tonight?

• emilybites replied: — February 9th, 2012 @ 4:05 pm

It’s definitely worth a try! I think they’d probably be good. Let me know!

Miss T — June 17, 2012 @ 5:41 pm

These look so good, they are in the oven right now. Can’t wait to eat them!

Journey of a Substitute Teacher
    Endless Pinabilities

Anonymous — July 5, 2012 @ 4:32 pm

Have to agree, these are SO good, even cold. Thanks for all your recipes, would love to see more breakfast on the go type ideas? I have loved almost all of your recipes that I have tried.

Anonymous — January 16, 2013 @ 2:31 am

How can I make this for 30 people.

Racheal @ Running with Racheal — August 6, 2013 @ 3:19 pm

Totally making these for lunch today with a huge zucchini from my garden. Thanks for another great recipe! <3

Mrs. B — August 9, 2013 @ 5:32 pm

I am so excited to make these this week! My question is this: do you think they would turn out okay if, for instance, I mixed all the ingredients except the Bisquick together in advance, then mixed that with the Bisquick just before baking? Im making them with your meatload muffins, but trying to make it as quick as possible. I get home from work at 6:30 and need to almost put dinner immediately into the oven so we can eat before my toddler goes to bed! Any input welcomed. :-)

• Emily Koenigsberg replied: — August 9th, 2013 @ 5:34 pm

Sure! I’ve never done that but it seems like it shouldn’t make a difference. Hope you love them!

Jaki — July 15, 2014 @ 11:04 pm

Would this work with Jiffy cornbread mix, instead of Bisquick? I think the flavor would be interesting.

Sue Hillman — September 14, 2014 @ 7:48 pm

I think I’ll try this with egg whites. I’ll let you know…