Taco Wonton Cupcakes
After the Lasagna Cupcakes I made a few weeks ago were a huge success, I started thinking that I could apply the same concept to make Taco Wonton Cupcakes with equally mouth-watering results. I received a big cooler of goodies from Wholly Guacamole this week, so it seemed like a good time to test this theory. I’m pleased to say the results were outstanding! These Taco Wonton Cupcakes pack a ton of flavor and spice into every bite. The chili oil adds heat, the chunky, juicy salsa adds flavor, the gooey queso dip oozes onto your tongue with each bite, and the beef and black bean mixture gives the cupcakes texture and makes them hearty and filling.
I think these Taco Wonton Cupcakes are perfect on their own, but adding a dollop of guacamole or sour cream provides a cool, creamy contrast, so feel free to add some if you want to balance the heat (may change nutrition information and Weight Watchers points). These are easy to make and great for portion control. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!
*This recipe was updated in March 2016 and the number of servings/quantities of ingredients were tweaked slightly. If you’re working off an older printed copy, you may want to re-print a new copy!*
Looking for more ways to make your main course in a muffin tin? Check out my recipes for French Dip Wonton Cupcakes, Cheeseburger Hash Brown Cups, Chicken Parmesan Wonton Cupcakes, Easy Taco Cups, Chicken Pesto Wonton Cupcakes, Chicken Bacon Ranch Wonton Cups, Pepperoni Pull-Apart Muffins, Turkey Club Wonton Cupcakes, Reuben Wonton Cupcakes, Mexi-Meatloaf Muffins, Thai Peanut Chicken Wonton Cupcakes, Pizza Cups, Chicken Parmesan Meatloaf Muffins, Buffalo Mac & Cheese Muffins, Spaghetti & Meatball Cups, Buffalo Chicken Wonton Cupcakes, Sausage, Egg & Cheese Hash Brown Cups, Mini Spinach Dip Bread Bowls, Cheeseburger Wonton Cupcakes and many more in the Main Course Muffins section of my recipe index!
Taco Wonton Cupcakes
Yield: 12 cupcakes
- 2 teaspoons chili oil (found near the Asian ingredients)
- 3/4 lb 95% lean ground beef
- 4 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup chunky salsa
- 24 wonton wrappers (found in the produce section)
- 8 of queso blanco dip or salsa con queso
- 4 oz 50% reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Pre-heat the oven to 375. Lightly mist a 12-cup standard muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside.
- Heat chili oil in a sauté pan or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef brown, breaking it up with a spoon. When meat is cooked through, add the taco seasoning and stir together. Add the black beans and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for 1-2 more minutes until warm. Remove from heat and stir in salsa until well combined.
- Push a wonton wrapper into the bottom of each of the cups in the prepared muffin tin. Spoon a teaspoon of queso dip into each wonton cup and spread across the bottom. Follow by spooning some of the meat/beans mixture into each cup, using about half the total mixture. Sprinkle about half the shredded cheese evenly over the top of each cup. Press another wonton wrapper on top of the shredded cheese and repeat the layering steps with the remaining ingredients.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until golden brown. Let cool 5 minutes before removing from muffin tin.
Weight Watchers SmartPoints:
4 per cupcake (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
4 per cupcake (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
148 calories, 14 g carbs, 1 g sugars, 5 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 12 g protein, 2 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
An Emily Bites Original