Oh my…these are addictive. Not surprising, I suppose. What’s not to love about crusty French bread cups filled with warm, cheesy spinach dip? No one will ever guess these are light. I had trouble deciding how to categorize these because they’d be great for so many different occasions: party appetizer, game day finger food, vegetarian main dish, side dish for chicken or beef, the list goes on. Whatever you end up using these for and however you choose to serve them, you will love these. Yes, you. Now hurry up and go make them!
Mini Spinach Dip Bread BowlsSource: Adapted from Picky Palate
1 (13.2 oz) can Simply Pillsbury Crusty French Bread refrigerated dough
1 T extra virgin olive oil
2 c baby spinach, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
3 oz 1/3 less fat cream cheese
½ c fat free sour cream
2 T shredded Parmesan cheese
1/8 t chipotle chili pepper (from your spice rack)
1/8 t garlic salt
1/8 t salt
1/8 t black pepper
1/3 c shredded 2% reduced fat Mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 350. Lightly mist 10 cups in a muffin tin with cooking spray.
2. Open the package of French bread dough and lay the roll of dough on a clean, dry surface. Using a sharp knife, cut the dough into 10 equal rounds, about an inch thick. Using your hands, press the dough pieces into 3” flat rounds. Press each round into a prepared cup in the muffin tin, forming the dough into a bowl shape and pressing it up the sides. Set aside.
3. In a medium skillet, bring the oil to medium heat and add spinach. Stir the spinach until wilted, about 3 minutes, and then add the garlic. Cook for another minutes until garlic is fragrant and then remove from heat.
4. In a medium bowl, combine the spinach & garlic, cream cheese, sour cream, Parmesan, chili pepper, garlic salt, salt and pepper. Stir until thoroughly mixed. Spoon the mixture evenly into the bread bowls. Sprinkle the shredded Mozzarella evenly over the tops of each bread bowls.
5. Bake for 15-17 minutes until bread bowls start to brown on the edges. Let cool 3-5 minutes before serving.
Yields 10 mini bread bowls. Weight Watchers Points Plus: 4 per bread bowl (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Nutrition Information per bread bowl from myfitnesspal.com: 146 calories, 20 g carbs, 5 g fat, 6 g protein, 0 g fiber