Oct 29

Sausage, Egg & Cheese Hash Brown Cups

These savory, flavorful cups combine all your favorite breakfast dishes in one! You’ll never believe they’re only 3 P+ each. Who needs a greasy sausage, egg & cheese sandwich from a fast food joint when you could grab one or two of these tasty cups instead? They’re more filling and for way less calories/fat/P+. I used Wegmans brand chicken breakfast sausage which is delicious and flavored with sage. If you don’t have a Wegmans nearby (I’m sorry, it’s amazing) I know other brands make chicken or turkey breakfast sausage.

The photo of these was taken at my recent Eggland’s Best Pink Party Brunch and since we were anxious to eat once the food was ready, I don’t have as many nicely staged photos as I generally include. Hopefully it’s still enough to temp your taste buds!

Sausage, Egg & Cheese Hash Brown Cups

Yield: 12 breakfast cups

• 20 oz shredded hash brown potatoes (I used Simply Potatoes brand which comes in a 20 oz refrigerated bag. If you use frozen potatoes, just make sure you let them thoroughly thaw first)
  • 2 T extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 ½ t salt (plus a little more to taste for the eggs)
  • Black pepper, to taste
  • 4 chicken breakfast sausage links (I used Wegmans Fully Cooked Breakfast with Sage Chicken Sausage)
  • 6 large eggs
  • 4 egg whites
  • 6 T shredded 2% cheddar cheese

1.  Preheat the oven to 400. Coat a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray
  2. In a large bowl, combine the hash browns, olive oil, salt and pepper and mix thoroughly. Scoop the hash browns evenly into each of the muffin tins and then press the hash browns down into the cups and up the sides to form a well. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until edges are browned.
  3. Cut the sausages up into small bite sized pieces. Mist a skillet with cooking spray and brown the sausage pieces over medium-high heat.
  4. In another large bowl, combine the eggs and egg whites and whisk together until thoroughly beaten. Add a bit of salt & pepper to taste.
  5. Evenly sprinkle the shredded cheese and browned sausage pieces into each hash brown cup and then spoon the egg mixture into each hash brown cup as well. Place the cups back into the oven and bake for another 15 minutes or until the eggs are set. To remove from tins, run a large spoon or butter knife along the edges of each muffins cup.

3 per cup(P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)

123 calories, 10 g carbs, 3 g fat, 7 g protein, 1 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)

An Emily Bites Original

Pin It

64 Responses to “Sausage, Egg & Cheese Hash Brown Cups”

FelixAndAva — October 29, 2011 @ 5:33 pm

Looks like I’m adding a couple of items to my shopping list so I can try this. :)

juwel50 — October 29, 2011 @ 6:20 pm

These really sound good. Thank you!

kickinitwithkim — October 30, 2011 @ 9:58 pm

Those look great! I will be trying them soon!

Megan — October 31, 2011 @ 5:50 pm

I wonder if you could freeze these?

bloomingginger — November 6, 2011 @ 7:06 pm

I just tried this and it was amazing! Somehow I ended up using only half the amount of hasbrowns..but that means less points!

Thanks so much for inspiring me to believe that eating on plan can be fun AND yummy!

Anonymous — November 7, 2011 @ 2:25 am

I also wondered if you could freeze these and then take them out as needed! Anyone try it?

• Anonymous replied: — March 31st, 2013 @ 3:44 am

yes you can…

cookingbride@hotmail.com — November 7, 2011 @ 3:05 am

Oooo, yum! These look great!

emilybites — November 7, 2011 @ 3:27 pm

Thanks everyone, you should try them!

I did not try freezing them so I can’t guarantee anything. I’m guessing you could freeze them because when I think through the ingredients separately each one seems like it’d be alright frozen. If anyone tries it out, post back here and let us know!

Bloomingginger – glad you enjoyed them!

• Anonymous replied: — February 1st, 2012 @ 9:14 pm

I made this a few weeks ago and froze half the batch. They were fine frozen. I defrosted in the microwave for 2 min. then cooked for 45 seconds on high. I bet you could even thaw in the fridge overnight and have a good result.

Thanks for the great recipe!

• emilybites replied: — February 2nd, 2012 @ 12:22 am

Thanks so much for the update!

Anonymous — January 4, 2012 @ 6:13 pm

Can you use all egg whites? I don’t like yolks.

emilybites — January 4, 2012 @ 6:14 pm

Sure, if that’s your preference. You’ll probably want to use a few extra to compensate for the absence of yolks.

Anonymous — January 5, 2012 @ 2:02 am

Made them with the egg whites tonight. They are amazing! I had a little bit of a hard time getting them out of the pan, but yummy regardless. I will use more spray next time.

• emilybites replied: — January 31st, 2012 @ 11:12 pm

Glad they were a hit!

Becky — January 31, 2012 @ 11:35 am

Would baking time be the same for egg beaters??

• emilybites replied: — January 31st, 2012 @ 11:12 pm

I’m not sure, you’d have to try it. I don’t usually use egg beaters in cooking so I don’t know how they compare!

• KatalanMoon replied: — April 26th, 2012 @ 8:54 pm

I used all egg beaters in my recipe and the baking time was the same (15 minutes). They were PERFECT! :)

Megan — February 6, 2012 @ 12:54 am

Could I use liquid egg whites so i don’t waste the yolk?

• emilybites replied: — February 6th, 2012 @ 1:03 am

I don’t see why not! I’ve never used them but I’m assuming they’re just egg whites, right? Go for it!

Megan — February 6, 2012 @ 1:20 am

yep they are just egg whites…thanks. i can’t wait to try some of your recipes. i have made a list:)

kara — February 15, 2012 @ 5:21 pm

hi! I am wondering if it might be possible to make my own hash browns. I have some potatoes in the cupboard that are about to start growing on their own if I don’t get them cooked soon! if I just shredded the potatoes & squeezed out the water, would they be about the same? thanks! can’t wait to try them!!

• emilybites replied: — February 15th, 2012 @ 7:47 pm

Sure, I don’t see why not. I think that would work fine. Let me know how they turn out!

Anonymous — February 16, 2012 @ 4:29 pm

How many ounces are the 4 sausage links? I have some turkey sausage I would like to use instead, but don’t know how much to use.

• Anonymous replied: — May 2nd, 2013 @ 6:11 am

4 Wegman’s sausages weigh 4.57 oz, 130 g.
      A bag of Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage Crumbles = 9.6 oz, 272 g.

Anonymous — February 20, 2012 @ 1:55 pm

Even though I sprayed the muffin tin they were really hard to get out. Left a bunch of hash browns in the bottom of the muffin tin… anyone else have this trouble?

• Anonymous replied: — February 27th, 2012 @ 3:57 am

I had the same issue! Do you think a paper muffin cup could be used next time?

• Krystal replied: — February 29th, 2012 @ 2:08 am

I had the same problem and got super frustrated because my husband scratched my muffin pan really bad trying to get them out! So…I am actually going to put a wonton wrapper in the bottom of mine this time…hopefully it wont stick…

• emilybites replied: — March 1st, 2012 @ 12:56 am

Sorry you all had this problem! I had a few stick. If you try a paper cup or wonton and it works out let me know!

• cindysuetoyou replied: — April 14th, 2012 @ 7:36 pm

Anyone try paper cupcake liners yet? My friend made them in an older nonstick pan and had trouble getting the pan cleaned. :(

• Anonymous replied: — August 27th, 2012 @ 2:04 am

I used a silicone muffin pan…still sprayed it though. They came out perfectly!

Anonymous — March 18, 2012 @ 9:35 pm

I cooked these in two batches. The first batch stuck a little, so I cooked the second batch a longer period of time, and they came out great. Also, I used Jimmy Dean turkey crumbles which saved cooking time and also added chopped green onions.

• emilybites replied: — March 19th, 2012 @ 3:15 pm

I’m so glad they were a hit!

Lori H — April 11, 2012 @ 1:00 am

These taste fantastic! I used turkey sausage and the dry hashbrowns (in a box that you add hot water to), both from Costco. Using a non-stick muffin tin was the key. (I doubled the recipe and used one non-stick pan, also, that didn’t work so slick!) I froze them in the ziplock snack bags, which fit 2 perfectly. Awesome to have these to grab on the way to work in the morning :) Thanks!

• emilybites replied: — April 17th, 2012 @ 8:03 pm

I’m so happy you loved these, Lori!

KatalanMoon — April 26, 2012 @ 8:52 pm

These were SO amazing! I made some alterations (all egg beaters, bacon, and sharp cheddar). They turned out great! :)

• emilybites replied: — April 27th, 2012 @ 12:05 am

Yay, I’m so happy you loved them! Thanks for letting me know :)

Amy Yates Kent — April 27, 2012 @ 12:52 am

Wondering if you could make them the night before and reheat for breakfast in the morning?

Anonymous — May 11, 2012 @ 8:08 pm

These were really good, made these with turkey sausage.

Natasha — June 24, 2012 @ 2:29 pm

Made these this AM and although tasty, a complete nightmare to get out of the muffin tin!!! Left half the hashbrowns in each pan. :( Anyone have success using liners? Bummed to spend the rest of my morning scrubbing my pan.

Anonymous — July 19, 2012 @ 9:07 am

I just made these to keep in the freezer for a quick breakfast. I used spinach, mushrooms, chicken sausage, and egg beaters. I initially baked the hash browns for the suggested time but lowered the temp to 350 and baked another 10-15 minutes. I used the disposable muffin tins and not a single one stuck. They are absolutely delicious!!

Anonymous — July 19, 2012 @ 4:52 pm

Loved these. I used the foil cupcake liners plus sprayed with Pam. Thank you so much for all your hard work to help all of us.

Anonymous — August 1, 2012 @ 7:30 pm

Are these normal size muffin tins I know some of your stuff that you have made called for the mini muffins..

Anonymous — September 5, 2012 @ 11:15 am

I made these as written (used spicy chicken sausage) and used the foil muffin wrappers.. they came out AMAZING!

Kris/Flygirl172

kris — October 6, 2012 @ 9:40 pm

We are rying to go a little Paleo, like cutting out the white potatoes. I wonder if you could shred up a sweet potato and use it for the hashbrowns?

Zmom — October 24, 2012 @ 11:12 pm

I made these in a jumbo muffin pan, 6 pp each. Very easy to drive and hold a muffin on my way to work. Wonderful on the go breakfast :)

Anonymous — November 3, 2012 @ 2:33 pm

These are just awesome and so easy to make . My husband lets me know when we are out and needs to make more . He takes them to work with him and just loves them . He has lost 65 pounds so far . I just love this site and I’m eager to try other cupcakes . Thanks so much for this site …

Anonymous — November 26, 2012 @ 6:20 pm

When I calculated the PP value on these, they came out to 5 each! That’s after I ate two thinking I was having a 6 point breakfast. Any ideas?

• The Invite Lady replied: — December 23rd, 2012 @ 11:31 pm

The brand of cheese, the brand of sausage would be my guess. I just calculated with my ingredients at 3PP each.

Kristi — December 9, 2012 @ 3:23 pm

Made these today, using 3 cups of egg beaters and 1 cup of reg cheddar cheese. They were great!!

I’ve pinned several of your recipes and can’t wait to try them all.

The Invite Lady — December 23, 2012 @ 11:30 pm

Does anyone know about how much 4 links equals? I couldn’t find the chicken links at Publix so I bought the Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage crumbles. I am thinking 1 1/2 cups but I am not sure.

• The Invite Lady replied: — December 28th, 2012 @ 8:43 pm

I ended up using 1 1/2 cups and they came out great.
      Emily – you are becoming a household name around here. My grandparents live with us and don’t really “get” the internet. Whenever I made a new recipe they ask “did you get this from Emily?”!

• Anonymous replied: — May 2nd, 2013 @ 6:14 am

4 Wegman’s sausages weigh 4.57 oz, 130 g.
      A bag of Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage Crumbles = 9.6 oz, 272 g.

LisaJo — December 29, 2012 @ 3:42 pm

I just tried these but used the Southwestern Egg Beaters instead of regular eggs and it turned out wonderful. And I’m going to freeze the rest for quick and easy breakfasts.
    Thank you SO much for this one!

eganitaeats — December 29, 2012 @ 6:50 pm

These were awesome! Thanks for the recipe.

Anonymous — January 30, 2013 @ 9:12 pm

These are amazing with a spoon full of salsa on top when they come out hot! Wonderful as grab and go from the freezer. Thank you!!!

Four Hours from Anywhere — February 18, 2013 @ 4:52 pm

I made these today. We don’t have a Wegman’s, so I used one box of Jimmy Dean turkey sausage links (12). Twenty ounces was a lot of potatoes, so I ended up making 16 muffins, using 8 whole eggs to compensate for the difference. Very hearty breakfast.

Anonymous — May 27, 2013 @ 4:56 pm

Emily, how does the taste of chicken sausage compare to the regular pork sausage? I know pork is way too fattening, but I have never tried chicken sausage and I am particular about that sort of thing. Are they similar or different?

Thanks for your recipes!

- Kayla

Sam Boyd — June 24, 2013 @ 1:48 am

Where can you find Wegman’s sausage?

• Emily Koenigsberg replied: — June 24th, 2013 @ 1:49 am

At Wegmans – it’s a grocery store chain!

Sam Boyd — June 24, 2013 @ 2:17 am

Oh! None in Michigan!

BlairKreiger — January 14, 2014 @ 4:05 pm

Oh my goodness! These are a life saver! Prepped them on my day off and my hubby and I had breakfast for the rest of the week. So easy to just pop them in microwave in the morning to reheat and it feels like you are having a decadent hot breakfast! Delicious, will definitely be making these again! I didn’t have a problem with too much sticking, but I also sprayed the pan quite a bit.

1. Pingback: Buffalo Chicken "Cupcakes" » Emily Bites