I love diet soda cupcakes (we call it pop in Buffalo, but soda sounded better here – just clarifying). They’re super easy to make, there are endless variations to try and no one can ever tell they’re lighter than normal. We have a potluck holiday luncheon at my office every year and this year I was asked to bring a dessert. I wanted to do something festive and after days of everyone lamenting over binging on sugary, fattening treats I thought I should bring at least one dessert no one would feel guilty eating. The fluffy red cupcakes with white peppermint frosting and the sprinkle of candy cane pieces were perfect to get everyone in the holiday spirit. I especially loved the peppermint cream cheese frosting. When the cupcakes were frosted I definitely licked the beaters clean – I could have eaten the whole bowl of it with a spoon! These would be perfect to bring to any holiday gathering or for anytime, really. Happy Holidays!
Red Velvet Cupcakes with Peppermint Cream Cheese FrostingSource: Emily Bites Original
1 (18.25 oz) box of red velvet cake mix (I used Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe)
1 can of diet soda (I used Diet Pepsi)
2 egg whites
8 oz 1/3 less fat cream cheese
1 c powdered sugar
1 t vanilla extract
¾ t peppermint extract
3 full sized candy canes, crushed
1. Preheat oven per directions on cake mix box.
2. Line cupcake pan(s) with 24 cupcake liners or use cooking spray to lightly coat 24 spots.
3. Combine the cake mix, soda and egg whites in a large bowl. Beat together with an electric mixer until thoroughly mixed. Pour mixture evenly into cupcake liners, filling each about 2/3 full.
4. Bake according to directions on cake mix box. Let cool completely.
5. In a large bowl combine the cream cheese, vanilla extract, peppermint extract and the sugar. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth and then use to frost the cupcakes. Sprinkle frosted cupcakes with crushed candy cane pieces.
Yields 24 servings. Weight Watchers Points Plus: 4 per serving
Nutrition Information per cupcake from myfitnesspal.com: 141 calories, 25 g carbs, 4 g fat, 2 g protein, 1 g fiber