Jan 29

Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes

So, here’s the deal. I’ve been taking baby steps toward trying to ease myself into liking bell peppers. So many people love them and I want to as well! I used to pick them out of everything, but since I started cooking I’ve found myself enjoying them in many recipes. Green ones in particular. I mean, there are green peppers in the Best Lasagna Ever and…well, it’s the best ever. I must have started liking them right? I decided to abandon the baby steps and take off at a full sprint by making this dish. I’m so risky.

If you like juicy beef with sautéed peppers and onions, smothered in Provolone cheese and sandwiched in a toasty bun, then you are in good shape with this recipe! I was nervous, but I liked these sandwiches and I barely picked out any of the peppers! Okay, I ended up with a few on my plate, but I ate most of them and enjoyed it. That was a pretty big step. I also found one of these sandwiches to be very filling, which made it a nice, hearty main dish. If you are a Philly Cheesesteak lover and you’re looking for a twist on the traditional favorite, this one’s for you!

Philly Cheesecake Sloppy Joes

Yield: 5 (3/4 cup meat + 1 roll & 1 slice cheese) servings

1 lbs 95% lean ground beef, raw
1 large (softball-sized) white onion, diced
1 medium or large green bell pepper, diced
3 T steak sauce
1 cup fat free beef broth
Salt & black pepper to taste
5 light wheat sandwich rolls (I used Weight Watchers brand rolls)
5 slices 2% Provolone cheese (I used Sargento)

1. Bring a large skillet or sauté pan over medium-high heat and add the ground beef. Brown beef, breaking it up as it cooks. Once cooked, add the peppers and onions and continue to cook for a few more minutes until vegetables are softened. Mix in the steak sauce, beef broth, salt and pepper and bring to a bubble. Allow the mixture to bubble for about 5 minutes.
  2. Make sure you have an oven rack in the top third of your oven and pre-heat the oven to broil. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Open the sandwich rolls and lay both sides cut side up. Using your fingers, press the middle-inside of the bottom half of the roll to make a little more room for the meat mixture. Scoop about ¾ cup of the meat mixture onto the pressed bottom half of each roll. Top the meat mixture with a slice of the cheese. The top half of the rolls will be bare and cut side up.
  3. Place the baking sheet onto the oven rack in the top 1/3 of the oven and broil for about 1 minute (check at 30 seconds and again at 50 to prevent burning – broiling happens fast!) Cover the loaded bottom half of each roll with its toasted top half counterpart and serve!

8 per sandwich (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)

334 calories, 33 g carbs, 9 g fat, 31 g protein, 6 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)

Adapted from Dainty Chef

30 Responses to “Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes”

Anonymous — January 29, 2012 @ 1:18 am

this sounds so yummy do you think it could be done in a crockpot also

• emilybites replied: — January 29th, 2012 @ 5:39 pm

I’m not sure! If you try it out, let me know!

Allison — January 29, 2012 @ 5:42 am

Emily, your blog has made transitioning into WW so much easier for me and DBF (who can’t ever tell that any of your recipes are “light”).

Plus, I went to college in Buffalo and miss it terribly, so I have an extra excuse to support you (and try every buffalo-related food item here) :-)

• emilybites replied: — January 29th, 2012 @ 5:38 pm

Thanks Allison, I’m so glad my blog has been helpful! Buffalo misses you too. :)

MsHellion — January 29, 2012 @ 5:49 am

Oh, yes, will be making this this week. *LOL* YUM!

• emilybites replied: — January 29th, 2012 @ 5:37 pm

Hope you like it!

Reena the Diva — January 29, 2012 @ 8:38 am

Cool, ill be makin these either tomorrow or monday.

I didnt know ww had a bun out, i havent seen them anywhere! Any other brand suggestions? It looks like it requires a large bun, and i know the wheat buns i usually buy are toooo small.

• emilybites replied: — January 29th, 2012 @ 5:37 pm

Yeah, the WW sandwich rolls have been out for a while – I love them! They’re about the size of a hamburger bun, so if you know of any light hamburger buns you like that would work. Wegmans (my grocery store) had light hamburger buns that are the same points as the WW rolls.

Anonymous — January 30, 2012 @ 6:26 am

Hi – Just discovered your site and just want to say THANKS!

On this recipe, did you use Heinz 57 or A1 steak sauce?

• emilybites replied: — January 30th, 2012 @ 3:12 pm

I used A1 because that’s what I had in my cupboard but you can use whatever your favorite is!

Becca — January 30, 2012 @ 7:10 pm

These look delicious! I’ve never been a huge fan of bell peppers uncooked but I do love them in fajitas/sauteed.

By the way, I made the revised bubble up enchiladas last week and we loved them! I posted them on my blog and have printed out several more recipes of yours to try… next up, taco “cupcakes”! Love your blog!

• emilybites replied: — January 31st, 2012 @ 3:22 am

Thanks! Glad to hear the bubble up enchiladas were a hit. Hope you like the taco cupcakes! :)

• Anonymous replied: — June 6th, 2013 @ 7:08 pm

We are going to try these tonight! I didn’t realize you lived in the Buffalo area. I lived in Lewiston for 33 years until I moved to Atlanta. Reading your site keeps me close to home!! :)

Lisa

flyliketime — February 1, 2012 @ 2:49 am

Ohhh myyyy gosh.

These were simply amazing!!!!!!!!!!

I couldn’t resist having two of them. They are VERY filling. But so delicious.. I just had to have one more.

Thank you for such an awesome recipe.

• emilybites replied: — February 2nd, 2012 @ 12:24 am

Yay! I’m happy you loved them so much. :)

Erin — February 5, 2012 @ 1:35 am

Where do you find the Weight Watchers rolls? I can’t always find them where I normally shop!

• emilybites replied: — February 5th, 2012 @ 1:38 am

I’ve found them at Wegmans and Tops, but I think Tops has them more frequently. I usually end up going to both stores every week so it’s hard to keep track!

Tiff — February 9, 2012 @ 12:05 am

This was so very yummy!! I made it with some oven fries :)

• emilybites replied: — February 9th, 2012 @ 3:04 am

Glad it was a hit!

Anonymous — March 15, 2012 @ 4:34 am

Made these tonight..yummy! I added some sautéed mushrooms on the top. ;-) my bottom bun got soggy…I probably did something wrong, but they still were delicious. I had to use whole wheat buns cause I could not find the ww ones :-( thanks for the recipe…Jaime ;-)

• emilybites replied: — March 15th, 2012 @ 7:19 pm

Mmm, sauteed mushrooms. Glad you liked these!

Anonymous — March 15, 2012 @ 7:09 pm

I have a question. So shaved steak is out of the question? How much difference is it for W.W. points? Just wondering because I love a nice Steak and Cheese.

• emilybites replied: — March 15th, 2012 @ 7:19 pm

I don’t see why shaved steak would be out of the question…that’s just not what these are! These are Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes.

Anonymous — March 16, 2012 @ 12:45 am

Made them tonight, thumbs up!!

• emilybites replied: — March 18th, 2012 @ 3:53 pm

Glad you liked them!

Starofsorrow — April 29, 2012 @ 1:53 am

Made them tonight as well, Great reviews from family!

Even Mom said that it reminded her of the Philly Cheesesteak, which was exactly what we were going for. lol!

Anonymous — August 14, 2012 @ 1:56 am

So yummy!!! Hubby said he could eat 4 of them! The baby loved them too :)

Unknown — August 10, 2013 @ 5:53 pm

Made these today, delicious! I used A1 and put them on Healthy Life 80 calorie wheat buns. We have to take a recipe to share at our next WW meeting and this is what I’m taking. I love all your recipes!

Kathie — August 23, 2013 @ 1:51 pm

I made these for dinner last night and OMG – they are delish! I keep raving about them and sharing the recipe with whomever will listen to me. As a previous poster said, you make following WW so easy!

Jenn — September 16, 2014 @ 4:24 pm

I have to LOL that the print version says CheeseCAKE. I even wrote it on my menu plan that way. I sure wish we were having cheeseCAKE for dinner.

These are great though!