Buffalo Chicken Wraps
As many of you know, I’m a Buffalo girl. I grew up in Buffalo, and I live there now. It’s entirely possible that I have wing sauce running through my veins. Needless to say, I love Buffalo chicken. I could probably make a different Buffalo chicken recipe every week and never tire of it. In the past I’ve already made Buffalo Chicken Pizza, Buffalo Chicken Chili, Buffalo Chicken “Cupcakes”, Buffalo Chicken Bites, Buffalo Chicken Roulades, and Buffalo Wing Hummus. I have loved every single one of them.
I don’t have a lot of wraps or sandwiches on my blog yet, and my brainstorming session for creating a new wrap idea went something like this: “Buffalo chicken? Yes.” Satisfied that no further brainstorming was needed, I set to work figuring out how to perfect a lightened up Buffalo Chicken Wrap. It totally lived up to my expectations. My pound of chicken contained four breasts, so I tried four different ways of layering the wing sauce in the breading before determining that coating it in the sauce last was the way to go. I also tried the bread crumbs toasted and untoasted and preferred toasted. I tried the wrap with a wedge of Laughing Cow blue cheese and then again with Marie’s Light Chunky Blue Cheese dressing and found the dressing was so much better for this particular recipe.
I loved this wrap. It turned out exactly the way I’d hoped. I know some of you are going to ask if you can use ranch dressing instead of blue cheese. The Buffalonian in me gets an aghast look on her face and screams “NOOOOOO!!!” in horror. Such a suggestion is heresy in Buffalo. The food blogger in me (who realizes that outside of Buffalo many people eat their wings this way and that some people don’t even like blue cheese dressing) still looks aghast but begrudgingly says “I guess so…” which dilutes that wing sauce running through my veins just a little bit. Sigh. It’s a Buffalo thing.
Buffalo Chicken Wraps
Yield: 6 wraps
- 1/3 cup unseasoned bread crumbs
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 (4 oz each) raw boneless, skinless chicken breasts (1 lb total)
- 1/3 cup Buffalo wing sauce (I used Anchor Bar brand)
- 6 low carb, high fiber tortillas (I used La Tortilla Factory’s Smart & Delicious Low Carb, High Fiber)
- 9 tablespoons light blue cheese dressing (I used Marie’s Light Chunky Blue Cheese – my favorite brand by far!)
- Lettuce, chopped (I used Romaine)
- 2 medium carrots, shredded with a vegetable peeler
- Optional: additional wing sauce for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 375. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Spread the bread crumbs across the bottom of a large dry skillet and bring over medium heat. Cook for a few minutes, stirring every minute or so to rotate which crumbs are on the bottom until the crumbs are lightly browned.
- In a shallow bowl, lightly beat the 2 egg whites. Place the bread crumbs on a separate shallow bowl or plate. Pour the wing sauce in a third shallow dish. Set aside.
- Combine the flour, black pepper and chicken breasts in a large Ziploc bag and seal shut. Shake until the breasts are fully coated with the flour.
- Dip one floured chicken breast in the egg whites, coating all sides, and then press it into the bread crumbs. Flip the breast to coat with crumbs and then dip it in the wing sauce on both sides to coat. Place the coated breast on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining breasts.
- Bake about 12 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken from the oven and slice into strips.
- Warm the tortillas slightly in the microwave for a minute or so to make them more pliable. Spread 1 ½ tablespoons of blue cheese dressing across the center of each tortilla. Divide the chicken strips evenly amongst the tortillas and top with a drizzle of additional wing sauce if desired (optional). Top the chicken with lettuce and carrots and then fold the ends in and the sides over. Cut in half and use toothpicks to hold tortilla in place if desired.
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
7 per serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
274 calories, 26 g carbs, 11 g fat, 28 g protein, 13 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
An Emily Bites Original