Parmesan Zucchini Rounds
It was so sunny and warm last week that I started getting prematurely excited for one of my favorite summer vegetables, zucchini. Of course, it went back to being cold this week and even snowed last night (really?), but my zucchini craving remained. I’ve had this recipe bookmarked from Cooking Light for a long time, so this seemed like the perfect time to finally try it! Cooking Light labeled these as “chips” but when I cut them into ¼” rounds as instructed the zucchini did not get crispy, so I’m calling them rounds. You could probably cut them thinner if you want them to be chips, but I actually think I like them better this way. The Parmesan and bread crumb coating gets crispy but the zucchini on the inside remains soft and juicy. Parmesan and zucchini is such a tasty flavor combination and these rounds make a great side dish, snack or appetizer. Serve them in place of starchier side dishes like potato chips or French fries for a healthy swap!
Not to be a pain, but…if you haven’t yet voted, I was nominated for Fitness Magazine’s Blog Awards in the Best Healthy Eating Blog category and I would love your vote! If you love my recipes, please consider taking a moment and supporting me here. I appreciate it!
Parmesan Zucchini Rounds
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 oz Parmesan, freshly grated (I used the smallest holed side of a box grater)
- ¼ cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 egg whites
- 2 ½ cups zucchini rounds, sliced about 1/4” thick (this was about 2 small zucchini)
- Preheat oven to 425. Line two baking sheets with aluminum foil and place a wire baking rack on top (I used two metal cooling racks).Lightly mist the racks with cooking spray.
- Combine the Parmesan, bread crumbs, pepper and garlic powder in a shallow dish and mix together.
- In a small bowl, beat the two egg whites. Dip each zucchini round in the egg whites to coat both sides and then press each side of the round into the bread crumb/Parmesan mixture. Place the coated round on the wire rack on the baking sheet. Repeat with remaining zucchini rounds.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until the Parmesan and bread crumb coating is browned and crisp. Serve immediately.
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
2 per serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
71 calories, 7 g carbs, 2 g fat, 6 g protein, 1 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
slightly adapted from Cooking Light