Mar 16

Taco Wrap Deluxe

I went to Taco Bell for the first time in about 10 years last week. You see, here in Buffalo we have an awesome and wildly popular local taco chain called Mighty Taco, so no one here ever really goes to Taco Bell. The last time I’d been to one was when I went to college in Ohio. We still get the commercials though, and every time I’d see one for Taco Bell’s Crunchwrap Supreme I’d think “That looks good – I could make that!” I decided to get one so that I could deconstruct it and make sure I got it right when I made my own. The Taco Bell version was tasty, but it was uneven and there was way too much sour cream for my tastes. I took a lot of bites that were all tortilla and sour cream without any meat or cheese. Not to “toot my own horn,” but the one I made myself tasted so much better than theirs! I think the ratio of spicy meat and gooey cheese sauce to sour cream and tortilla was way better (more meaty and cheesy…yum). Plus, this version rings in at only 7 P+ which is exactly half the number of Weight Watchers points the Taco Bell version will set you back!

I found this wrap to be really filling, and the recipe is so quick and easy to make. You could very easily half it or make one at a time. I posted it as 8 servings because that’s how many a pound of ground beef makes, but once you cook the beef you could certainly assemble one or two at a time. Fast, easy, delicious, and half the points of the original? Sold.

Taco Wrap Deluxe

Yield: 8 servings

• 1 lb raw 95% lean ground beef
  • 1 packet reduced sodium taco seasoning
  • 8 low carb, high fiber large tortillas (I used La Tortilla Factory Low Carb, High Fiber Whole Wheat Tortilla)
  • 1 cup (16 tablespoons) of queso dip or salsa con queso, warmed
  • 24 Baked Tostitos Scoops tortilla chips
  • Shredded lettuce
  • 1 medium tomato
  • ½ cup (8 tablespoons) of fat free plain Greek Yogurt (or sour cream if you prefer)

1. Bring a large skillet over medium heat and cook the ground beef, breaking it up with a spoon until browned. Add the taco seasoning and stir until combined. Continue to cook for another couple minutes to coat the beef in seasoning.
  2. Place a tortilla on a microwave-safe plate and spoon 2 tablespoons of queso dip in the center. Smooth the queso out in a circle, covering only the center of the tortilla (leaving 1-2 inches dry around the edges. Microwave the tortilla for 15-30 seconds to make it more pliable. Remove the tortilla from the microwave and add around ¼ cup of the seasoned beef and spread over the top of the queso. Break apart 3 tortilla chips and place those in a layer over the beef. On top of the chips, layer the lettuce, tomatoes and yogurt in whatever order you choose. I did yogurt last but I think it should probably be first after the chips, with the lettuce and tomatoes on top of it. Fold the edges of the tortilla up around the filling. There will most likely be a small gap in the center – that’s okay!
  3. Lightly mist a skillet with cooking spray and bring over medium heat. Place the taco wrap folded side up on the skillet and mist the top of the wrap with cooking spray as well. You can hold the folded flaps of tortilla down while it cooks if you want, but after a minute I just placed a smaller skillet bottom side down directly on top of the taco wrap to free up my hands and that held it together just fine. When the bottom of your wrap is browned (this should only take a few minutes), flip the wrap over, making sure all the tortilla flaps stay tucked underneath (this was actually easier than it sounds) and continue to cook for a few additional minutes until that side is browned too.
  4. Repeat with remaining ingredients (though if you have a large skillet or griddle pan you can likely cook more than one at once) and serve.

7 per serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)

247 calories, 32 g carbs, 9 g fat, 23 g protein, 14 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)

An Emily Bites Original

72 Responses to “Taco Wrap Deluxe”

Jenna — March 16, 2012 @ 1:10 pm

OMG! I love love love crunchwrap supremes! I’m gonna have to make this pronto!

• emilybites replied: — March 18th, 2012 @ 3:38 pm

I hope you love it, Jenna!

• Abby Moe replied: — July 25th, 2012 @ 10:54 pm

Are these regular 8in taco shells or the larger burrito size?

bananasandbeer.com — March 16, 2012 @ 1:34 pm

That looks so good!!!

• emilybites replied: — March 18th, 2012 @ 3:38 pm

Thanks! You should definitely try it! :)

Angie — March 16, 2012 @ 3:39 pm

You could probably use a panini press to cook it too…

• emilybites replied: — March 18th, 2012 @ 3:39 pm

Sure, that would probably work great! Let me know :)

KristaD — March 16, 2012 @ 4:12 pm

Can’t wait to try this

• emilybites replied: — March 18th, 2012 @ 3:39 pm

Hope it’s a hit!

Ferreh Hiatt — March 16, 2012 @ 7:10 pm

You just made my MONTH. I love the Crunch Wrap Supreme, but haven’t eaten one in ages because, well, it would ruin my week… ;o) But this? This is genius. Can’t wait to try it!

• emilybites replied: — March 18th, 2012 @ 3:40 pm

Thanks, Ferreh!! I really hope you love it. Let me know what you think!

Anonymous — March 16, 2012 @ 8:40 pm

That sounds really good!

• emilybites replied: — March 18th, 2012 @ 3:40 pm

Thanks, I hope you try it and love it!

MSPRunGirl — March 16, 2012 @ 10:59 pm

THIS.IS.AMAZING.

Just made it, and it is exactly like taco bell’s. Thanks Emily!!

• emilybites replied: — March 18th, 2012 @ 3:40 pm

I am so happy you loved it! Thanks for letting me know :)

Kirsten — March 16, 2012 @ 11:44 pm

Sounds great! I wanted to make ‘tortilla/grilled chicken/cream cheese/curry(powder)/(very thin sliced)cucumber-wraps’ as a starter when my friend comes over on sunday, but couldn’t really think of a way to use the left over tortillas. This will make a great lunch along with a cup of fresh vegetable soup or a salad! Definately going to try this!

• emilybites replied: — March 18th, 2012 @ 3:41 pm

Perfect timing, then! I love when that happens. Hope you love this!

Allison — March 17, 2012 @ 12:16 am

Haha I miss Mighty Taco! :)

This looks amazing, definitely going on the menu for DBF and I this weekend, thanks!

• emilybites replied: — March 18th, 2012 @ 3:42 pm

Isn’t Mighty the best? If I moved away it’s one of the things I would miss most, lol. I hope you and DBF love this!

Roz @ weightingfor50 — March 17, 2012 @ 6:13 am

Hi Emily. Another bookmarked “keeper” of a recipe. Thanks as always. Hope you have a great weekend.

• emilybites replied: — March 18th, 2012 @ 3:42 pm

Thanks, Roz! I hope you’re having a great weekend as well :)

Wilma NC — March 17, 2012 @ 11:02 am

Going to try this one!!!

• emilybites replied: — March 18th, 2012 @ 3:43 pm

Definitely do it. Let me know what you think!

Bri — March 18, 2012 @ 8:57 pm

mmmmm…LOVE Mighty Taco!!! We’re getting one in Rochester; this MAY be a problem for me!

• ToyLady replied: — March 19th, 2012 @ 12:44 pm

Okay, now I’m going to have to try this Mighty Taco! Thanks for the heads up! :)

And, of course, the wrap looks fantastic – I’ve always got a supply of tortillas, and already a couple of ideas . . .

I don’t really do Taco Bell, even though there’s one within walking distance. Sadly (or not), it’s not open when I’m walking the dog in the mornings.

• emilybites replied: — March 19th, 2012 @ 3:13 pm

I heard that! In Henrietta, right? I am excited for you, Bri! :)

Anonymous — March 18, 2012 @ 9:42 pm

Holy moly I am SO SO SO excited to try this. Crunchwrap supremes are my favorite food from taco bell.

• emilybites replied: — March 19th, 2012 @ 3:14 pm

I hope you love it! Let me know :)

TK — March 19, 2012 @ 2:58 am

I made this tonight, SO DELICIOUS. My very fave Taco Bell treat, and so reasonably pointy! I’m not the greatest cook, but I love trying all your recipes.

Tragically the store I went to didn’t have the right tortillas, so mine was a few points higher, but still worth it!

• emilybites replied: — March 19th, 2012 @ 3:15 pm

I am so glad it turned out great! :)

Anonymous — March 20, 2012 @ 1:55 am

Hello! Just wondering what brand queso you used in the P+ calculations?

• emilybites replied: — March 20th, 2012 @ 1:58 am

I used Tostitos brand

Proud mommy of 4 — March 20, 2012 @ 9:08 pm

Sooooo yummy! Mexican is my favorite! Was a lot better than Taco Bells IMO more tasty! Found the wraps you used at Walmart and they are now my favorite as well. Super filling. Once again you are a hit in my house.

• emilybites replied: — March 21st, 2012 @ 1:50 am

I am so happy you loved them! I thought these were better than Taco Bell’s too (not to toot my own horn), so I am glad you agree! I love those tortillas, they are the only big ones I use. Thanks for your comment! :)

Michelle — March 20, 2012 @ 10:57 pm

These were amazing!!! Thank you for the great recipe

• emilybites replied: — March 21st, 2012 @ 1:50 am

Glad you loved them, Michelle!

Tabitha — March 21, 2012 @ 12:52 am

Just made these tonight. A-mazing. My husband said that we never have to go to Taco Bell again!

• emilybites replied: — March 21st, 2012 @ 1:51 am

I am so glad they were a hit! Thanks for letting me know :)

Reena the Diva — March 21, 2012 @ 7:30 am

Wow. I haven’t had a crunchwrap in ages, I remember when it came out in 2006 is right around the time I started ww. Making your version tomorrow… ill be back with a review ;)

Reena the Diva — March 21, 2012 @ 10:48 pm

okay, so it was great!! but mine was 10 points instead of 7. i couldn’t find the tortillas you used (well, i know where to find them, but that store is out of the way) and also i used a little more tortilla chips in mine. but it was yummy and filling, thanks for this recipe!!

• emilybites replied: — March 26th, 2012 @ 9:56 pm

I’m so happy you loved it, Reena! Those are my favorite large flour tortillas because they taste good and they are super low in points, but not every store has them. Thanks for coming back to review the recipe! :)

Anonymous — March 26, 2012 @ 2:31 pm

Emily – I can’t stress enough how awesome these are. Thanks for taking the time to deconstruct and share with the rest of us! I’m becoming addicted to your website. I’ve made this multiple times now. Used ground turkey breast (because that’s what I had) and it brought it down to 6+ pts. Pretty guilt-free. Also added some hot sauce on top of the yogurt and green onion and cilantro mixed in with the lettuce and tomato. Delicious. Thanks again! ~ Amy

• emilybites replied: — March 26th, 2012 @ 9:58 pm

Yay, I’m so happy you loved these so much! Sounds like you made some yummy tweaks. I love cilantro. Thanks for letting me know these were a hit! :)

Cindy Foreman — March 26, 2012 @ 8:55 pm

Emily, I made this tonight and the family LOVED them! I made a few adjustments to fit the different food personalities in my family. My future daughter in law is a vegetarian so I made hers with refried beans instead of the meat mixture. I added some of the refried beans to my husband and my oldest son’s as well (along with the meat mixture) and my youngest son and I had them just the way described :-) and every one absolutely raved about them! They are BY FAR better than the ones from Taco Bell.

• emilybites replied: — March 26th, 2012 @ 9:59 pm

I’m so happy you thought so too! When I was eating it I kept thinking “Oh my gosh, this is SO much better than the original…I can’t believe it’s so much healthier!” Haha. I love refried beans – great tip for making this vegetarian! Thanks for letting me know your family loved these!

Anonymous — March 27, 2012 @ 12:47 am

My husband just took the first bite and with a full mouth exclaimed, “This is delicious!!!”

• emilybites replied: — March 30th, 2012 @ 10:43 pm

I love that reaction!!! :)

I’m so happy to hear he loved them. Thanks for letting me know!

sarah — March 27, 2012 @ 4:53 pm

This was just like eating at taco bell but so much healthier!!! Thank you so much for your amazing recipes!

• emilybites replied: — March 30th, 2012 @ 10:43 pm

Thanks, Sarah! I’m so happy that you liked these :)

Michelle — March 29, 2012 @ 11:42 pm

Emily this is an amazingly delicious recipe! I felt like I was eating taco bell, but better! Thank you for all of your yummy recipes!

• emilybites replied: — March 30th, 2012 @ 10:44 pm

Aw, thanks, Michelle! Good to hear that these were a hit. Thanks for telling me! :)

Travis — April 5, 2012 @ 3:12 am

I made this tonight, but i used ground turkey because it’s what I had on hand and i think it was still better than taco bell. Thanks for this recipe!

• emilybites replied: — April 7th, 2012 @ 7:46 pm

I’m so glad you loved it!

kara smith-laubenstein — April 16, 2012 @ 4:21 pm

I love, love, love your site. I am journeying through Weight Watchers now & your recipes are better than anything Weight Watchers puts out. Flavorful, fun, exciting! I have 1 quick question about these…did you use the large Mission Tortillas or the original size? (I think the large have 8 in the package & the original have 10)
    Thanks!! (I will be making these ASAP)

• emilybites replied: — April 17th, 2012 @ 7:07 pm

Thanks so much, Kara! My package comes with 8 tortillas and says “large whole wheat” on it. I didn’t know they came in other sizes! I’m glad you’re loving my site. Let me know how these turn out!

Kim P — August 22, 2012 @ 4:19 am

Made this for dinner tonight, and the whole family LOVED it! I put the lettuce and tomato and some black olives on top after cooking it. So yummy! Thanks!

Stacy — October 22, 2012 @ 12:24 am

How many points is this for Weight watchers plus points???

• emilybites replied: — October 22nd, 2012 @ 12:26 am

Stacy, the points and NI are at the end of the recipe

Stacy — October 22, 2012 @ 12:35 am

Never mind, I figured it to be 6 wwpp but i will still count it as 7 just to be safe… Ty for the recipe..Very good and simple : )

Lane — December 11, 2012 @ 2:27 pm

We made this last night! Yummy! I enjoyed it more than the real thing from Taco Bell!

Tama Perez — February 8, 2013 @ 1:50 am

What would the pp be without the yogurt or sourcream?

The Hecks — February 8, 2013 @ 2:07 am

These were so good! My husband kept asking “are sure this a Weight Watchers recipe?” So yummy! I actually used a low carb flour tortilla instead of whole wheat…my husband isn’t a fan of whole wheat tortillas! Thanks for your recipes…they have been a hit with out family.

Anonymous — April 13, 2013 @ 3:17 am

OMG this was so YUMMY!!!!! And so easy I followed the directions to a T!! Thanks again for all your hard work and for sharing!!!

Anonymous — May 7, 2013 @ 1:45 am

This looks SO AMAZING! Quick question tho cause im a lil confused on the serving/points plus side of it….I have to cut it in 8 pieces and 1/8 of it is SEVEN POINTS?!? I would DEFINITELY want to eat the whole thing but I am on WW and that would total me in at 56 points for this one wrap. Am I bein dumb and reading it wrong? lol

• Emily Koenigsberg replied: — May 7th, 2013 @ 1:50 am

Huh? I’m not sure how you’re getting that but each wrap is seven points – no cutting involved! The recipe makes 8 wraps. If you look at the ingredients it has a pound of ground beef and a tortillas and then the instructions have you repeat to make 8 wraps. Does that help?

• Emily Koenigsberg replied: — May 7th, 2013 @ 1:51 am

8 tortillas* – sorry, posting from my phone!

Rachael — July 28, 2013 @ 11:16 pm

Just started WW, and this is the first WW recipe I made. My husband is so shocked. He LOVES them. They turned out so delicious!! Looking forward to trying more of your recipes!

Anonymous — September 5, 2013 @ 5:02 pm

Do you think that I could brown this in a waffle maker? Amy

Elizabeth — October 22, 2013 @ 11:57 pm

Oh, wow! I just made these for dinner, and they were amazing! Just like Taco Bell, but without the upset stomach that goes with it. :-) My husband has announced that I can make these any time. I love it when you feel like you’re eating junk food, but you’re not. And seeing as how I’m just re-starting the Weight Watchers journey, I think these’ll become regulars.

Vanessa — March 28, 2014 @ 7:54 pm

Omg…. I made this last night… It was amaze-cakes!! If it wasn’t a Friday during Lent I think we may have had them for lunch and dinner tonight too!!! Thanks, Emily!!

Anonymous — June 2, 2014 @ 7:54 pm

Hi Em – I’ve been wanting to me these for a while now, any ideas on what to serve as a side dish? Maybe just a simple cucumber salad?

1. Pingback: Voting Closed: Best of 2012 Reader’s Choice Awards! » Emily Bites