Apr 09

Roasted Poblano Corn Chowder

A new restaurant opened in my area a few months ago that sells an absolutely to-die-for Roasted Poblano Corn Chowder. I’m pretty sure I could eat it every day. The first time I tried it I knew I wanted to see if I could find a similar recipe to make at home. I scoured the internet and found a recipe from the Whole Foods Market Cookbook posted on a few different blogs. It’s not exactly the same as the version at my local restaurant, but once I thickened it up a little by running some of it through the blender and adding it back in it was close enough for me. This soup is really filling and easy to make. One cup is only 4 P+ or you can have a large 1 ½ cup serving for only 6 P+. The sweet bites of corn mix together so well with the roasted pepper flavor and the soft, thick potatoes. This soup is great on its own, but you could also experiment with adding toppings such as avocado, sour cream, or a couple tablespoons of 2% shredded sharp cheddar. The cheddar only adds one Weight Watchers P+ and I thought it gave it a tasty twist. This recipe makes a lot of soup, so I am excited to freeze some and be able to enjoy this yummy homemade version of one of my favorite soups anytime I want.

New Potatoes

• 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 celery stalk, chopped
  • ¼ cup + 1 T flour
  • 6 cups vegetable broth
  • 2 cups skim milk
  • 1 ½ lbs new potatoes (also known as fingerlings or creamers), unpeeled and diced
  • 1 (16 oz) package of frozen corn kernels
  • ¼ t cayenne pepper (or more or less to taste)
  • salt & pepper to taste

1. Pre-heat the oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Brush the outsides of the poblano and red peppers with the olive oil and set them on the baking sheet. Pleace in the oven to roast for about 30 minutes until the skin on the peppers is charred and peels off easily. Peel the skins off the peppers and slice them open to discard the seeds. Chop the peppers into small pieces and set aside.
  2. In a large pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, onion and celery and cook for about 5 minutes until the onions are translucent. Reduce the heat to low and stir in the flour to coat the vegetables. Cook for another five minutes, stirring frequently. Turn the heat back up to high and slowly whisk in the vegetable broth, stirring constantly. Add the milk and stir to combine. Bring the soup to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer for 5 minutes, stirring often. Add the poblanos, red pepper, potatoes, and corn. Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Add the cayenne, salt & pepper and stir.
  3. Transfer three cups of the soup mixture into a blender and blend until the potatoes, corn, etc are smooth and the mixture is thick. Pour the thickened mixture back into the pot with the rest of the soup and stir to combine. Simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes and serve.

4 per serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)

136 calories, 25 g carbs, 3 g fat, 5 g protein, 3 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)

adapted from the Whole Foods Market Cookbook, found on several blogs including SammiW and Teri’s in the Kitchen

Topped with 2 tablespoons of 2% shredded cheddar (one additional P+)

16 Responses to “Roasted Poblano Corn Chowder”

Anonymous — April 16, 2012 @ 1:18 am

This was so good even though I had a blond moment and used 6 cans vegetable broth instead of six cups! It was more a soup soup than a chowder. Still yummy!!

• emilybites replied: — April 17th, 2012 @ 7:12 pm

Haha, you’ll just have extra leftovers :). Glad you liked it!

Jason and Kacina — April 21, 2012 @ 12:46 am

Could you make this in the crock pot?

• emilybites replied: — April 24th, 2012 @ 1:53 am

I’m not sure, I didn’t make it that way. You would definitely have to make the roux first. If you try it out, let me know!

JBSulman — September 3, 2012 @ 9:26 pm

My daughter and son were at Central Market yesterday and they had this soup in their cafeteria so we tried a sample and loved it. I came home and “googled” the recipe and found it on your site. Today we made a big pot of this soup. It is very good just a little too hot my wife and son though my daughter loves it. Next time I’ll leave the cayenne out and switch one of the poblanos with another red bell pepper.. A few changes I made: I used half milk and half heavy cream and roasted the peppers over a charcoal grill instead of in the oven. I left out the olive oil on the peppers to make up for some of the the extra cals the milk/cream added and I used regular butter. I also roasted the corn in a cast iron skillet before putting it in the soup. With all the extra stuff the cal count came to about 215 calories per cup, which is the portion I have with my lunch. The batch made about 12 cups.

Thank you for posting! I enjoy your site very much.

Laura — September 15, 2012 @ 6:48 pm

I made this today because it was a nice fall day and game day. I also made the slow cooker beef bbq. Both were great. Thank you as always for the recipes.

Anonymous — November 22, 2012 @ 1:23 am

My brother rеcоmmеndeԁ I mіght
    like this webѕitе. He wаs totally right.
    This poѕt actually made my dаy. You can not imagine just hоw much
    timе I had ѕpent for this іnfo!
    Thanκѕ!
    Feel free to surf my website ; nonioryginal.pl

Anonymous — November 22, 2012 @ 2:10 am

Thank you for the аuspicіоus wrіteuρ.
    It in fact was a аmusement accоunt it.
    Look advanced to more added agreeablе from you!
    Нowever, hoω could ωe communісate?
    Also visit my webpage Noni

Anonymous — November 22, 2012 @ 2:42 am

I was curious if you eveг thought of changing the layout of your websіtе?
    Its very well wrіttеn; I loѵe what уouvе got to say.
    But maуbe уou сoulԁ a little moгe іn thе way of content so peoрle coulԁ connect with іt
    better. Youve gоt an аwful lot of text
    for only hаving 1 or 2 pictures. Maybе you cοuld spacе it οut better?
    My webpage : Sok z Noni

Anonymous — November 22, 2012 @ 6:54 am

Heу Ӏ know thіѕ is off
    topic but І ωas ωonderіng if you knew of anу widgetѕ I
    could add to mу blog that automatіcаlly tweet
    mу newеst twitter updates. I’ve been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.
    Here is my blog postwork from home

Anonymous — November 22, 2012 @ 7:08 am

I hаνe fun with, cauѕe I discoνered eхасtly what I ωas looκing for.

Үou have ended my fоur day long hunt!
    God Blesѕ you man. Have a niсe day.

Bye
    My web blog :: work from home

Anonymous — November 22, 2012 @ 8:20 am

Hоwdy! Ӏ know thіs іѕ somewhat off toрic but I ωas ωonԁerіng if you
    knew whегe I coulԁ get a captсhа ρlugin for my commеnt form?
    Ι’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m hаving ρroblems findіng onе?

Thanκѕ a lot!
    Feel free to surf my page http://myearnmoneysite.com/

موسوعة الطبخ — January 10, 2013 @ 8:55 pm

very nice thank you so much =)

Earnest Efforts — February 2, 2013 @ 2:50 pm

This looks fabulous! I’m making it for a lunch we’re having tomorrow with friends. Will be using no butter (can’t keep it in the house because we’ll eat it :-) and almond milk rather than cow’s milk. Thank you!!!

Anonymous — August 16, 2013 @ 8:47 pm

I have made this soup twice. It is sooooo good! Thanks for recipe.

Anonymous — November 29, 2013 @ 7:31 pm

I have made this soup multiple times. It is a household fave! I can’t wait to try some of your other recipes!