I love zucchini. It’s one of my favorite vegetables and it’s so versatile. I’ve made Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins, Zucchini Squares, Parmesan Zucchini Rounds, Sausage-Stuffed Baked Zucchini and Baked Zucchini Fries. I’ve also used it in collaboration with other yummy vegetables in recipes like my White Vegetable Lasagna and Barley Beef Skillet. Zucchini goes with everything, but my favorite pairing has always been Parmesan cheese. Zucchini and Parmesan are the new peanut butter and jelly, trust me. The original recipe for this used sharp cheddar (which is one of my favorite cheeses), so I decided to make a double batch and try it both ways. Parmesan was so much better. You can use any cheese you want really, but I highly recommend you go with Parmesan.
This recipe comes together very quickly and makes a perfect side dish or hors d’oeuvre. The tots are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside and they make a great healthy replacement for tater tots. If you have kids who usually turn up their noses at vegetables, these zucchini tots could be a great solution. At only 27 calories each, these are tots you can feel great about!
Yield: 12 zucchini tots
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (I shredded mine on the large holed side of a box grater)
- ¼ medium onion, chopped
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 oz Parmesan cheese, freshly grated (I use the smallest holed side of a box grater. Alternately, if you want to use canned grated Parmesan cheese you can use ¼ cup of that.)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400. Mist a 12 cup mini muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Wrap the shredded zucchini in a paper towel (or clean dish towel) and squeeze to extract any excess moisture from the zucchini.
- In a medium bowl, stir together all ingredients until combined. Spoon the mixture evenly into the prepared mini muffin tin and press down on the filling in each cup with the back of the spoon to compact them together.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the tops are beginning to turn golden. Run a plastic knife around the outside of each top while still in the muffin tin and they will come right out.
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
1 per tot, 2 tots are still 1, 3 tots are 2 (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
27 calories, 2 g carbs, 1 g fat, 2 g protein, 0 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
slightly adapted from The Two Bite Club