Jun 17

Chocolate Fruit Dip

Fruit and chocolate are one of those magical combinations where both components are delicious on their own, but together they form one tempting, sweet, craveable mash-up of flavors. Almost any fruit tastes great with chocolate: tart berries, sweet bananas, cool melon, take your pick! This dip is thick, fluffy, chocolatey and just the right amount of sweet to complement the natural sweetness of the fruits without overwhelming them. This is super quick to whip up and easy to bring to a potluck, serve to guests or just make as a snack! However you serve it, it’s sure to be a crowd pleaser.

I slightly modified this recipe (I used light ingredients) from the Taste of Home Cooking School Cookbook. Taste of Home sent me a free copy and asked me to make one of the recipes for my blog. I don’t accept offers like that unless I’m sure I’m going to love the cookbook or product, but I am a huge Taste of Home fan, so I knew this book was sure to be filled with hits. The only problem was deciding what to make first. I especially liked this book because in addition to yummy recipes they included really useful cooking tips and advice on everything from taking proper measurements to grilling tips to how to devein shrimp to how to purchase the best meats at the grocery store. Many of the recipes have specific tips alongside them and if you’ve ever read a recipe that told you to make a yeast dough, stuff a chicken or caramelize onions and you thought “huh?” this book breaks down the steps with photos. It also teaches you how to make condiments like herb butter, Chili Mayo or Curry Ketchup and they have a fun chapter on DIY cocktails. If you love cookbooks I totally recommend it!

Chocolate Fruit Dip

Yield: 16 (2 tablespoon) servings

• 8 oz 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 t vanilla extract
  • 2 cups light whipped topping (I used Cool Whip Light)

1. In a large bowl, combine the sugar and cream cheese and beat with a hand mixer until combined. Add the cocoa powder and vanilla extract and beat again until thoroughly mixed. Add the Cool Whip and continue to beat until well combined.

2per serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)

75 calories, 9 g carbs, 4 g fat, 1 g protein, 1 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)

33 Responses to “Chocolate Fruit Dip”

Dawn S — June 17, 2012 @ 5:05 pm

Looks fantastic!

• emilybites replied: — June 17th, 2012 @ 9:44 pm

I hope you try it and love it, Dawn!

• Dawn S replied: — June 18th, 2012 @ 12:27 am

Tried it today… FANTASTIC!

Christina — June 17, 2012 @ 6:02 pm

Looks great I cant wait to try it! Thanks for taking such great care of us with all of these awesome recipes. Buffalo chicken wraps for dinner tonight!

• emilybites replied: — June 17th, 2012 @ 9:45 pm

Aw, thanks Christina! I hope the chicken wraps turn out great and that you love this dip as well!

Trish — June 17, 2012 @ 6:12 pm

Wow this looks amazing. I will definitely be making these soon. I’m making buffalo chicken pizza for dinner tonight!

• emilybites replied: — June 17th, 2012 @ 9:45 pm

Yay! I hope you love them both. Let me know! :)

Luv2resQ — June 17, 2012 @ 7:29 pm

Just put the batch in the fridge can’t wait!

• emilybites replied: — June 17th, 2012 @ 9:46 pm

Yum, that was fast! Let me know how you like it!

andrea brionne — June 17, 2012 @ 7:41 pm

could this get any better?! thank you for sharing this! love it :)

andrea brionne @thedailyeverythings.blogspot.com

• emilybites replied: — June 17th, 2012 @ 9:46 pm

Thanks, Andrea! Hope you make it and love it!

spunkysuzi — June 17, 2012 @ 9:50 pm

I will definitely be making this!

Kali — June 18, 2012 @ 7:23 pm

Made this last night.It is WONDERFUL! Caution: highly addictive!

MamaD — June 18, 2012 @ 9:39 pm

I like to whip light cream cheese and Cool Whip together with vanilla and cinnamon to spread on zucchini bread for sandwiches for the kiddos. I’m sure they will love this one too! They devour strawberries so this is a sure hit.

Keri — June 22, 2012 @ 3:56 pm

Do you think you could sub chocolate whey protein powder for the cocoa and sugar? Might up the nutritional value a bit ;)

Ashes — July 7, 2012 @ 7:56 pm

This was sooo delicious! I made it for a friends bbq and didn’t tell them till the end that it was a weight watchers recipe. I ended up sending everyone the recipe. It was a hit!!!! It was even licked off the plate!

Ashers — July 31, 2012 @ 1:35 am

Do you have any other WW P+ recipes?

• emilybites replied: — July 31st, 2012 @ 1:36 am

Yup! My whole blog is Weight Watchers P+ friendly recipes :)

Liz — October 13, 2012 @ 5:22 am

I had a party at my house tonight and served this dip with apples, strawberries and grapes. Everyone raved over it! It was so, so yummy. I sent this recipe home with a couple of people.

Stargazerss — January 6, 2013 @ 11:26 pm

Hi- I dont eat processed food (cool whip) So you think I could substitute homemade whipped cream instead? It looks yummy!

Tina — January 19, 2013 @ 2:19 am

This was a huge hit in my house, tonight!! Thank you!!

Anonymous — February 6, 2013 @ 8:35 pm

Oh my, this is SO yummy!! I have tried several of your recipes now and have been very pleased with all of them!! Thanks for all of your hard work!!!

Anonymous — February 7, 2013 @ 5:02 pm

Would you recommend this be made the day of? Planning to serve tomorrow at a party and wanted to see if its still good made a day before. Wasn’t sure if it lost some texture.

Thanks!

• emilybites replied: — February 7th, 2013 @ 5:04 pm

You can definitely make it the day before. Enjoy!

Ness P — March 15, 2013 @ 3:55 am

OMG!! I was just about to take a trip to the store cause i was craving something super chocolatey like Ben and Jerry’s with the brownie chunks. But then I thought; I saved this recipe, and have the ingredients im gonna try this. IT IS SO AMAZING!! So creamy and delicious! Every bite makes me dance in my seat. I think Im gonna make another batch and freeze half into popsicle molds and the rest for ice cream sandwiches with chocolate graham crackers. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Diane Shields — April 12, 2013 @ 4:02 am

Have you tried the Cool Whip Icing. I have wondered about mixing the chocolate or cream cheese flavor with Cool whip to make a very easy fruit dip. Your recipe reminded me.

Anonymous — April 23, 2013 @ 11:08 pm

this might be a good sub for the base of a fruit pizza

Kimber Morales — April 27, 2013 @ 12:40 am

Could you tweek the sugar with Truvia or Stevia????

Anonymous — June 22, 2013 @ 7:17 pm

I just featured your strawberry dessert on my blog. Here is the link:

I can’t wait to try this recipe. Thanks so much for sharing.

Karen @ Money Saving Enthusiast — April 20, 2014 @ 8:30 pm

My kids are going to love this. It looks so light. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Kristi@MyWeeklyHabit — June 7, 2014 @ 10:51 am

Hi! I made this dip and served it with strawberries last summer. It was a big hit with the kids and the grown-ups! I am making it again today for a pool get-together. Just wanted to let you know how much we enjoyed it! Thanks for sharing!

1. Pingback: Chocolate Fruit Dip | Collector Of Recipes