Jul 09

Crispy Corn Fritters

One of my favorite Summer flavors has always been corn on the cob. I remember when I was a kid my parents would make us go outside and husk the corn they’d bought before dinner. My brother, sister and I would sit on the picnic table in the backyard and meticulously try to pick every one of the little “hairs” out from between the kernels. We always boiled corn on the cob on my family, but I recently tried it grilled and I loved it that way too. I’m pretty sure I’d love it through any preparation. When I was young I loved smothering my corn with butter from one of those butter push-ups and sprinkling salt all over the top. Nowadays I am actually more of a corn on the cob purist. I usually just eat it plain. The sweet, juicy bursts of corn are generally all the flavor I need.

I actually found this recipe in the winter months and I have been impatiently waiting ever since for summer to hit so it would be seasonally relevant. Today, I finally got to make it! It was totally worth the wait. I love the texture: juicy bubbles of corn surrounded by a crispy coating too. The flavors are great too. Corn is truly the star here, with just a little onion, flour and egg to hold it all together and a little salt and pepper for flavor. You are welcome to add more herbs or seasoning if you’d like, but for a corn-lover like me, these fritters are a true celebration of the fresh corn. These make a great side dish to any meat you may want to throw on the grill and come together really quickly. This may be my new favorite Summer side dish!

Crispy Corn Fritters

Yield: 12 fritters

• 3 large uncooked ears of corn, husked and rinsed
  • 1 shallot, diced small
  • 2 scallions, diced small
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3 T canola oil
  • Salt & pepper to taste

1. Using a sharp knife, cut the kernels off of the corn cobs. Place the kernels into a large mixing bowl and add the shallot, scallions and garlic. Stir to mix. Add the egg and the flour and stir again until thoroughly combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
  2. Place a tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet and bring it over medium heat. Fill a ¼ cup measuring cup about ¾ full with the corn mixture and when the oil is hot dump the measuring cup contents into the oil. Using a spoon or spatula, press down on the pile you just made to flatten into a cake. Repeat three times until you have four cakes in the pan. Cook the fritters for 1-2 minutes until golden on the bottom and then flip and cook for another 1-2 minutes. When the fritters are golden on each side, remove them to a plate covered with a paper towel to drain off any excess oil.
  3. Repeat step 2 twice more until you have used all of the corn mixture to make 12 fritters.

2 per fritter or 5 for 2 fritters (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)

82 calories, 10 g carbs, 4 g fat, 2 g protein, 1 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)

Pin It

40 Responses to “Crispy Corn Fritters”

Anonymous — July 9, 2012 @ 12:14 am

Can I use frozen corn? If so, how much is 3 ears worth? Thanks!

• emilybites replied: — July 9th, 2012 @ 12:21 am

I’m sure you could probably use frozen corn, but as I used fresh corn I’m not sure how much you would need!

• Unknown replied: — July 9th, 2012 @ 1:58 am

1 cup of frozen is roughly 2 ears of corn, so probably a cup and a half, give or take a bit.

• emilybites replied: — July 14th, 2012 @ 1:48 am

Thank you!

Holly — July 9, 2012 @ 1:20 am

Cant wait till ontario corn is in to try this!

• emilybites replied: — July 14th, 2012 @ 1:49 am

Let me know what you think!

bc — July 9, 2012 @ 1:31 am

So many onions in the mix…hubby can’t eat onions. Will it work without do you think?

• emilybites replied: — July 14th, 2012 @ 1:49 am

Sure, but the onions add to the flavor so you may want to add some herbs or spices to the mix!

Unknown — July 9, 2012 @ 1:56 am

Corn is one of my favorites. I may also have to find a way to sneak cheese or bacon in there.

• emilybites replied: — July 14th, 2012 @ 1:50 am

Mmm…bacon.

Lollie — July 9, 2012 @ 2:05 am

1 ear of corn yields about 1/2 cup of corn :) And if you don’t use onion, I would add a bit more corn and/or flour.

Lollie :)

• emilybites replied: — July 14th, 2012 @ 1:50 am

Thanks, Lollie!

Anonymous — July 9, 2012 @ 2:56 pm

I usually make mine with corn meal because I like the crunch. I’ve put bacon in too and it is a yummy addition. But, if you have great sweet corn, I agree with the author. Let it be the star!

• emilybites replied: — July 14th, 2012 @ 1:51 am

I’ll have to try it with corn meal next time! :)

missamath — July 10, 2012 @ 12:48 am

I was trying a recipe from Pinterest (how I love you) for mexican corn (which was too rich for me) but I discovered my new favorite way to eat corn on the cob; with a healthy squeeze of lime. I love the fresh taste, and I’ve found that I don’t need butter or salt on my corn, just the lovely lime. Just thought I’d share.

• emilybites replied: — July 14th, 2012 @ 1:52 am

Yum, that sounds delicious. I love lime and that sounds like a great combo. Thanks for the great idea!

JC — July 11, 2012 @ 7:47 pm

I loved the flavor.
    I just couldnt get the corn into compact patties, they would fall apart

• emilybites replied: — July 14th, 2012 @ 1:45 am

I’m bummed to hear that because I was shocked at how well mine stayed together! Not sure why you didn’t have the same result but I’m glad you liked them anyway!

• Gayla Bursiaga replied: — March 17th, 2013 @ 12:07 am

I made these tonight and I couldn’t get mine to compact together either. :-(

Melissa — July 12, 2012 @ 3:26 am

I tried it tonight and they were delicious. I think next time, I’ll sprinkle some chipotle seasoning in it for a kick. I had a hard time with it falling apart as well but I was putting too much in the patty. Can’t wait to try it again!!

• emilybites replied: — July 14th, 2012 @ 1:47 am

These would be great with some chipotle seasoning – yum! I’m sorry yours didn’t stay together. I didn’t have that issue at all or else I would have mentioned it in the description or tried it again! I’m glad you loved the flavors though :)

racefor50states.com — July 12, 2012 @ 4:25 am

Do you think egg whites would work? Or is that just getting too-diety? :)

• emilybites replied: — July 14th, 2012 @ 1:48 am

The egg is what binds these together, so I personally wouldn’t mess with it but you could certainly try it!

Anonymous — July 17, 2012 @ 4:19 am

The flavor was AWESOME- like the PP’s i couldn’t for the LIFE of me get my patties not to fall apart… They DEFINITELY don’t look like yours :(

Not sure what i did wrong… :’(

• emilybites replied: — August 16th, 2012 @ 3:11 am

Bummer, I’m really not sure either, because mine stayed together. Maybe try adding another egg?

Bridget — July 24, 2012 @ 1:11 am

These are delicious! I did figure out though that 2 eggs worked much better than 1 and just 1/8 c more flour. I used frozen corn not sure if that’s why they wont stick together with just the one :(

• emilybites replied: — August 16th, 2012 @ 3:12 am

Glad you liked them, Bridget!

Angela G. — July 29, 2012 @ 7:04 pm

Loved these! And I too had a little trouble keeping some of them together. Next time I’m going to add another egg and maybe a bit of polenta.

• emilybites replied: — August 16th, 2012 @ 3:13 am

Happy to hear you loved them! I feel bad that people are having a hard time keeping them together since mine didn’t do that (WEIRD) but I am glad to hear you liked them anyway :)

Anonymous — August 15, 2012 @ 4:53 pm

Oh my, these were so good! I’m making them again tonight just to make sure last night wasn’t a fluke. I had a little less cord than was called for but forgot and added the same amount of flour. They stuck together great!

• emilybites replied: — August 16th, 2012 @ 3:13 am

I’m so happy you loved them! :)

MN Farmers wife — September 12, 2012 @ 5:38 pm

I’ve been telling everyone I get into a zucchini conversation with about these little gems! I’ve reprinted the recipe 6 times now and given it out!! These are great! Corn Fritters are great too and have sent along that recipe too! Thank you so much!

MN Farmers wife — September 12, 2012 @ 5:41 pm

Shoot, I thought I was on your Zucchini Tot recipe! Well anyway, you get the idea! Both recipes are great and I’ve been talking them up all over town!!

Mikee Vee — February 5, 2013 @ 2:23 pm

I used a bag of corn that I had blanched and frozen. It was delicious. Love this recipe. For variety, you could shred a potato into it and add some shredded cheddar cheese. Once plated, top it off with some fresh salsa! Enjoy!

Alex Jacob — February 8, 2013 @ 12:41 pm

Looking simply delicious…Moth watering will try it.
    Cardiac Surgery India

Jennifer Newheiser — March 12, 2013 @ 6:55 am

I made this tonight and I really didn’t like it. It also produced so much smoke that my smoke detector kept going off which was really annoying. Oh well.

Kristi Smylie — May 28, 2013 @ 1:47 am

These were super yummy! I did switch out flour for Almond meal and add an extra egg to keep it all together. This is a keeper and am excited about making them a little spicier next time. Thanks for the recipe.

suziquzi86 — February 9, 2014 @ 11:58 pm

I tried this recipe out, but baked instead of fried. Made awesome “corn cookies”! I have a review and tips at http://pintestkitchen.wordpress.com/2013/06/01/crispy-corn-fritters/

carbar — March 5, 2014 @ 5:47 pm

Had this for dinner (with the frozen corn, extra flour, +1 egg) and it was AMAZING! It stuck together perfectly and what a treat!! Thanks Emily :)

1. Pingback: 20 Weight Watchers Side Dish Recipes - A Spectacled Owl