Jan 10

Caprese Dip

The NFL playoffs have arrived, the Super Bowl is approaching and the NHL is coming back for some sort of a weird half-season (better late than never, I suppose). To celebrate all the televised sports I’ll be watching this month I really wanted to post a gooey, cheesy dip recipe. I’ve wanted to do something with Caprese flavors for a while and I thought a dip would really showcase the fresh basil, juicy tomatoes and stringy Mozzarella cheese. Mozzarella on its own would be hard to dip into so I decided to mix in some cream cheese and yogurt to give it more of a dip consistency. I also threw in some garlic because who doesn’t love that? I thought the results were delicious and you get a whole ¼ cup for only 3 Weight Watchers Points+ or 134 calories. You can serve these with all sorts of dippers. I ate it with both celery sticks and toasted sandwich thin triangles (see below) but baguette slices, tortilla chips or other veggies would work great too. Whether you’re cheering on a team or just making snacks for a fun night in, this cheesy dip is sure to be a crowd pleaser!

Caprese Dip

Yield: 8 (generous 1/4 cup) servings

• 8 oz of 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
  • ½ c fat free plain Greek yogurt
  • 1 ½ cups shredded Mozzarella cheese, divided
  • ¼ cup diced fresh basil
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • Salt & black pepper, to taste
  • ¾ cup grape tomatoes, quartered

1. Preheat the oven to 350.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese, yogurt, 1 cup of the Mozzarella, basil, garlic, salt and pepper and mix thoroughly. Fold in the tomatoes. Using a spatula, spread mixture evenly across the bottom of a glass pie plate. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup of shredded Mozzarella.
  3. Bake for 18-20 minutes and serve immediately.

3 per serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)

134 calories, 3 g carbs, 9 g fat, 9 g protein, 0 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)

An Emily Bites Original

27 Responses to “Caprese Dip”

crazinessiscontagious.com — January 10, 2013 @ 2:16 am

Oh well that just looks all sorts of fabulous :) will be trying this weekend – what a great idea!

موسوعة الطبخ — January 10, 2013 @ 8:54 pm

very nice thank you so much =)

Kay — January 11, 2013 @ 4:32 am

I think my boyfriend may be in love with you. We’re both on a weight loss journey together and a sucker for anything that has snacking abilities while still being in a healthy points+ range. THANK YOU!

Rebecca B. — January 12, 2013 @ 6:11 am

I can’t wait to try this for the Super Bowl! I started back on WW January 1 and was so excited to find your site! Thank you for sharing these wonderful recipes!

lindsaynhyatt — January 12, 2013 @ 5:06 pm

Hi! Love your blog! Did you find the basis for this recipe on Pinterest? I only ask because I tried a version of it (the non-lightened up one) and the consistency was weird. I will have to try this version. Thanks for sharing! :)

-Lindsay
    thedailysampler.com

• emilybites replied: — January 12th, 2013 @ 5:46 pm

No, I made this up. I used the base from my pepperoni pizza dip recipe and added Caprese ingredients. If I had based it off someone else’s recipe I would have credited them! I always do.

Robyn — January 13, 2013 @ 5:08 pm

I seriously love your recipes! I found you through Pinterest and I’ve been excitedly reading through your whole blog. I love finding weight watcher friendly recipes that don’t taste like crap or feel like “diet” food.
    Thanks!

Anonymous — January 13, 2013 @ 6:39 pm

Looks so good. Definitely going try this soon. Thanks for sharing!

Tom

Lori — January 14, 2013 @ 2:26 am

Visited friends this weekend and I knew there would be chips and dips so I brought my own! This recipe came in just in time and was a major hit! Wound up leaving the recipe with my friends, they couldn’t believe it was WW friendly! It was delicious! All of your recipes are always delicious and never leave me feeling deprived or as if I am missing something! Several of them are on my menu for this week!

Kristen — January 14, 2013 @ 5:07 am

I just wanted to say that I am SO glad I found you on Pinterest!! I made 5 different things of yours this weekend, all big hits! I love how so many things are made in muffin tins to eliminate guessing on portion size. Looking forward to all of the new WW friendly foods that I will be trying!

Jess Huckins — January 14, 2013 @ 5:35 pm

Made this for the Patriots playoff game this weekend, and served it with Parmesan Garlic Pretzels Crisps. So good.

Anonymous — January 15, 2013 @ 6:42 am

A 1/4 cup serving is generous – really?

• emilybites replied: — January 15th, 2013 @ 12:19 pm

Yup! Most dips have a serving size of 2 tablespoons.

• emilybites replied: — January 15th, 2013 @ 12:23 pm

But just so you know, when I say “generous 1/4 cup” as a measurement it means a little more than 1/4 cup. As in, be generous when measuring.

Anonymous — January 16, 2013 @ 5:06 pm

Awesome, awesome dip! I loved it best with celery sticks! Thanks for your wonderful site, have tried many recipes and love them all. You are making my WW journey a bite easier and definitely tastier! Thanks

Anonymous — January 20, 2013 @ 4:37 pm

I just made this recipe for a small get together last night and it was so easy to make and DELICIOUS! It didnt last long out of the oven! Served it with the sandwich thin triangles, garlic cracker and tortilla chips! Cant wait to make it again! Thanks so much for your recipes!

Shelby Neeley — February 4, 2013 @ 3:00 am

This looks amazing! I want to make it tomorrow for a get together, but I won’t be able to serve it right away. Will it still be okay? Or will become a strange consistency? Thanks!

• emilybites replied: — February 4th, 2013 @ 3:03 am

This definitely needs to be served hot or else the cheese will thicken up. Could you put it all together earlier in the day and then put it in the oven right before you want to serve it?

• Shelby Neeley replied: — February 4th, 2013 @ 3:04 am

I can do that. Thank you! :)

Anonymous — February 4, 2013 @ 10:53 pm

Wow, this looks AMAZING! I’m definitely going to make it soon. The flavors of Caprese are one of my all-time favorite combinations (I’m super Italian). Please feel free to check out some of my recipes at http://www.thebiteiswrite.com! :)

Michelle — February 6, 2013 @ 1:44 am

This comment has been removed by the author.

Anonymous — February 6, 2013 @ 9:02 pm

Made this for super bowl and it was a hit. I had to substitute dried basil for fresh and it was still yummy. Can’t wait to use my own fresh basil this summer!!

Anne — April 25, 2013 @ 8:05 pm

Made this for a girl’s trip and it was freaking-fantastic!
    Since I have picky eaters in my group of friends, I didn’t tell them it was a diet friendly food until after they stuffed their faces. They were in complete and total shock that it was actually not bad for you!

Thank you for all your recipes–I know it must consume a lot of your time calculating all the nutrition facts, photographing the foods, etc–this mom of two really appreciates it and so does my husband! He is down over 50 pounds and I think its your recipes that helped him be so successful. Dieting is not a “diet” anymore for him, its a way of life–so for that, I am forever grateful!

KimS — June 20, 2013 @ 3:33 am

Are you able to make this ahead of time and reheat in the oven or microwave?

Anonymous — December 28, 2013 @ 12:49 am

Made this as an appetizer/ snack for the family Christmas, and it was so good! Thank you for the great recipe.

Anonymous — January 29, 2014 @ 5:33 pm

Could you make this in a crockpot?

Sammy — July 3, 2014 @ 11:20 pm

Has anyone tried leaving this in a crockpot?