Enchilada Wonton Cupcakes
I want to start this post by thanking all of you who reached out to me this week after watching the most recent episode of Grey’s Anatomy. I didn’t see it, but evidently some of the characters were at a wedding where they had macaroni & cheese “cupcakes” (like these ones, perhaps?) and started discussing how every food should be made in cupcake form and wondering why it isn’t. The fact that several of you out there immediately thought something to the effect of “That’s already a thing! Emily Bites does it!” and reached out to tell me made my day/week/month. I love you guys! Since I’ve made everything from Spaghetti & Meatballs to Oatmeal to Tacos to Meatloaf to Spinach Dip and much more in individual, cupcake-sized servings, I agree that pretty much every savory dish can be “cupcake’d.” Click here to view all of my “muffin tin meals” or check out the category in my recipe index.
Okay, moving on. Sorry for the distraction. Let’s focus for a moment on these Enchilada Wonton Cupcakes. I absolutely love enchiladas. When you think about it, what’s not to love? I’ve wanted to use the flavors in a wonton cupcake for a while now and these were certainly worth the wait. You can customize them based on your own preferences as well. If you want them mild, leave out the chilies and use a mild enchilada sauce. If you like a little heat, go for a spicier sauce and toss in the chilies. The pepper jack cheese gives these a little bit of a kick on its own, but not enough to bother anyone who doesn’t like spicy food. I loved these Enchilada Wonton Cupcakes. They have all the flavors I adore in enchiladas and built-in portion control. All for only 139 calories each!
Yield: 8 cupcakes
- 2 cups cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced small or shredded
- ½ cup enchilada sauce
- 2 scallions, sliced (plus more for garnish, if desired)
- *optional* 1 tablespoon diced green chilies, drained
- 16 wonton wrappers (typically found in the produce section)
- 4 oz 50% reduced fat Pepper Jack cheese, shredded (I used Cabot brand)
- Pre-heat the oven to 375. Lightly mist 8 cups in a muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the chicken, enchilada sauce, scallions and chilies if using. Stir to combine until fully mixed.
- Push a wonton wrapper into the bottom of each of the eight sprayed cups in the muffin tin. Using about half of the chicken mixture, spoon evenly into the wonton wrappers. Sprinkle about half the cheese evenly over the top of each cup. Press another wonton wrapper on top and repeat the layering steps with the remaining ingredients.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until golden brown. Let cool 5 minutes before removing from muffin tin.
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
4 per cupcake, 7 for 2 cupcakes (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
139 calories, 9 g carbs, 4 g fat, 17 g protein, 0 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
An Emily Bites Original