Feb 03

Bacon Cheeseburger Mini Puffs

I meant to post these in time for them to be added to your Super Bowl menu. Actually, I originally made them a few days ago (plenty of time!) but I thought they needed some tweaks so I didn’t get to post the final product until today. You still have a few hours to run out and buy the ingredients if you’re so inclined!

I got the idea for these from the Pepperoni Pizza Mini Puffs I’ve made and enjoyed in the past. I figured it’d be pretty easy to use the base from those and change the flavors to something equally as tasty. I made these pretty basic but you could definitely add in other things to customize them to your liking: chopped tomatoes, pickles, jalapenos, mushrooms, or whatever else you like to put on burgers. I think I might try them with a few chopped grape tomatoes or some chopped pickles next time. I recommend serving these with ketchup and mustard for dipping – it gives you the full burger flavor experience.

These are super quick to throw together and the recipe can easily double to feed a larger crowd. Perfect for a party but also easy enough for just a snack. Get all the cheeseburger flavor you love in each little puff!

Bacon Cheeseburger Mini Puffs

Yield: 24 puffs

• 6 oz raw 95% lean ground beef
  • 1 T McCormick Hamburger seasoning
  • 3 T finely chopped onion
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • ¾ c white whole wheat flour
  • ¾ t baking powder
  • 1/8 t salt
  • 1/8 t crushed red pepper flakes
  • ¾ c skim milk
  • 1 large egg
  • 4 oz reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (I used Cabot 50% reduced fat but you can also use 2% pre-shredded)
  • 3 T Hormel Real Bacon Bits

1. Pre-heat the oven to 350. Lightly mist a 24 count mini muffin tin with cooking spray.
  2. Bring a medium skillet over medium-high heat and add the ground beef. Cook, breaking up into small pieces with a spoon or spatula. When partially browned, add the hamburger seasoning and mix in. Continue to cook until meat is browned. Add chopped onion and garlic and cook a couple more minutes until onion is tender. Remove from heat.
  3. In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt and crushed red pepper. Add the milk and egg and whisk together to thoroughly combine. Add the ground beef mixture, cheese and bacon bits and stir until combined.
  4. Divide the batter evenly amongst the prepared mini muffin tin cups. Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes until golden. Serve with the condiments of your choice for dipping (I prefer ketchup and mustard).

1 per puff, 5 for 4 puffs (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)

Nutrition Information per Puff:
44 calories, 3 g carbs, 2 g fat, 4 g protein, 0 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)

An Emily Bites Original

27 Responses to “Bacon Cheeseburger Mini Puffs”

Anonymous — February 3, 2013 @ 6:49 pm

Hmmm, don’t have any McCormicks Hamburger Seasoning. Any idea what’s it in so I can substitute?

Anonymous — February 3, 2013 @ 6:52 pm

Oops, never mind. :-) I looked it up: SALT, SPICES (INCLUDING BLACK PEPPER AND CHILI PEPPER), ONION, RED BELL PEPPERS, SUGAR, GARLIC, AND NATURAL FLAVORS. Can’t wait to try these. Thanks for posting.

hotspicyandskinny.com — February 3, 2013 @ 10:06 pm

Beautiful photo!

Sweet and Savory Eats — February 3, 2013 @ 10:23 pm

These look great! I bet my kids would love them:)

whathavewegothere — February 4, 2013 @ 12:02 am

Oh, I like the look of those!!

Jillian — February 4, 2013 @ 1:56 am

I love your blog so much. All of your recipes are so flavorful you do not even feel deprived. I am pretty sure I want to try them all! Thank you for sharing your wonderful recipes!

Jillian — February 4, 2013 @ 1:56 am

This comment has been removed by the author.

Lbreck1114 — February 5, 2013 @ 11:04 pm

Wow…I just ran across your site and would like to thank you so much for all of your hard work in putting these recipes up with their nutritional value!! Can’t wait to try them!
    Laraine

Anonymous — February 6, 2013 @ 4:15 pm

I printed off this recipe yesterday and knew that I had all the ingredients at home – so I made them to go along with my bowl of soup for dinner. They ROCK!! I’m having them for lunch today too. Can’t wait to make them for my grandchildren or for a party.

Samantha_dessertaholic — February 6, 2013 @ 7:35 pm

Would ground turkey be as sustainable as ground beef? I never use beef any more if I can help it. These look good and super easy to make!

Anonymous — February 7, 2013 @ 2:51 pm

Samantha – I used ground turkey.

Regan @ Cabot Creamery — February 7, 2013 @ 5:13 pm

Can’t wait to try these. I know my husband & kids would love them! (And thanks so much for the mention!)

Evangelista Nick — February 14, 2013 @ 9:51 am

It’s such a shame that I am a vegan! Maybe I’ll try to make it with mushrooms instead of bacon. What do you think about it? Will it be good?

Maison — March 5, 2013 @ 12:30 am

So when I read this I wasn’t sure how I would like them, but your recipes never fail to be anything other than outstanding and this one proved true to that! Oh my wow these were awesome!!!!

dbd07 — March 21, 2013 @ 12:14 am

So, I know that it would alter the nutrition information– but could this be made with the regular white flour or does it have to be the whole wheat? & do you think you could make it in the regular size cupcake tins or does it need to be in a mini pan?

gmb52 — April 7, 2013 @ 10:52 pm

Delicious!!! My husband and I both loved these. Definitely a keeper!! Thank you, Emily!!!

Michelle — April 10, 2013 @ 10:16 pm

Made these two nights ago for dinner and had to use white flour because I didn’t have wheat on hand. Still tasted great, I just added extra points in case! :) Another great recipe.

Anonymous — April 26, 2013 @ 11:58 pm

Hi…I have a question and forgive me if I seem a little slow. When you say “T” do you mean teaspoon or tablespoon. Thanks

• Anonymous replied: — May 20th, 2013 @ 4:51 pm

Ususally in recipes “T” means Tablespoon and “t” means teaspoon.

Jenny Haggerty — August 24, 2013 @ 6:17 pm

Emily,
    I just joined ww and was getting nervous about what I would get to eat as I am a very picky eater ( hence needing the ww) I Love your site , found you on pinterest and almost everything I look at comes from your site. Thanks for making this easier and posting the points!

Cindy — August 30, 2013 @ 6:53 pm

Has anyone tried making these regular muffin size, and if so, how long did it take to bake them?

Anonymous — September 15, 2013 @ 8:38 pm

Do you think this batter would freeze well?

Cecilia Sutton — December 31, 2013 @ 2:41 am

Could you add some dill relish to the mix? I love dill pickles on my burgers but don’t want to make the mix too moist.

Beth — March 16, 2014 @ 9:06 am

I have a very sensitive (to spice) palette and even though this recipe calls for very little red pepper flakes, it still has a bit to much kick for me. Any suggestions on how to keep the flavor but exclude the red pepper flakes?
    Thanks

• Emily replied: — March 16th, 2014 @ 9:59 am

Hm, without suggesting a similarly spicy replacement, maybe add a bit more burger seasoning or a flavor twist with a bit of pickles or relish in the mix?

WeightWatchingMommaTo3 — April 21, 2014 @ 7:11 pm

I just had to thank you so much for all your fantastic family and WW friendly recipes !! I use your site several time a week and have lost 70.6lbs in the last 6 months. I owe part of my success to you! Made these for notoriously picky children and husband and they chowed them down. One more wonderful, quick and satisfying recipie that will go in to our regular rotation . Thanks again for all your hard work!! You rock!!!!

1. Pingback: 25 Delicious Bacon Recipes - In The Kitchen With KP : In The Kitchen With KP