May 28

Slow Cooker Beef Braciole

I just recently discovered Beef Braciole and it was love at first bite. I was at the grocery store and it was one of the samples employees pass out in the aisles. Have I mentioned how much I love Wegmans? Anyway, I’ve been wanting to cook it myself ever since, and though this Slow Cooker Beef Braciole version is very different than the Wegmans version it’s just as delicious. Plus, this one goes in the slow cooker rather than being braised – perfect for hot Summer nights when turning on your stove is the last thing you want to do!

The tomato sauce that the steak cooks in turns out amazing and soaks up a ton of the meaty flavor. I highly recommend serving the steak roll and sauce over a side of pasta! I photographed it with rice because when I opened my cupboard to make pasta I realized all I had was lasagna noodles and about a handful of elbow macaroni (oops). The rice was okay with it but the next night I ate the leftovers with pasta and it was so, so good. So good. If you don’t have enough points/calories left for pasta, I think roasted vegetables would also be delicious in the sauce.

Just to throw in a second opinion, my boyfriend got to eat some leftovers with pasta and said this is the best dish I’ve ever made him. The ease of this recipe combined with that rave review means I’ll definitely be making this again!

Slow Cooker Beef Braciole

Yield: 6 servings

• 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 ½ cups chopped fresh spinach
  • 2 teaspoons dried parsley
  • ¼ cup seasoned breadcrumbs
  • 1 oz Parmesan cheese, freshly grated (I grate mine on the smallest holed side of my box grater)
  • 1 tablespoon golden raisins
  • 1 ¼ lbs (20 oz) lean, trimmed top round beef steak (try to get a thin cut – less pounding!)
  • Salt & pepper to taste
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • ¼ cup water
  • 24 oz jar Marinara sauce
  • 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
  • You will also need either kitchen twine or toothpicks to seal the steak once the filling is rolled inside

1. In a large skillet, heat the 2 teaspoons of oil over medium heat and add the onions. Cook for a few minutes until onions are softened and add garlic. Cook another minute, stirring frequently, until fragrant. Add the spinach and stir for about a minute until spinach is wilted. Remove the mixture from heat and transfer to a medium sized bowl. Add the parsley, breadcrumbs, Parmesan and raisins. Stir together to combine and set aside.
  2. Place your steak on a large piece of parchment paper and cover with another piece of parchment paper. Using a meat mallet, pound the steak to ¼ – 1/3” thick. This took me several minutes. Sprinkle with salt & pepper.
  3. Spread the breadcrumb/spinach mixture down the center of the length of the steak. Roll the steak around the filling beginning with the long side. Tie the rolled steak up with kitchen twine or secure the edges with toothpicks (not the fanciest way to do it but I forgot to buy twine and this works in a pinch!).
  4. Pour the remaining tablespoon of oil into the large skillet and bring it over medium-high heat. Place the rolled steak into the skillet (mine was long so I had to curl it into a C shape to get it to fit in my largest skillet) and brown for 2-4 minutes on each side until the sides are seared.
  5. Transfer the steak to your slow cooker and add ¼ cup of water to your skillet to deglaze the pan. Scrape up all the browned bits in the skillet (the water will turn brown) and pour it into the slow cooker over the steak. Add the marinara sauce and crushed tomatoes and stir together. Spoon the sauce over the top of the steak and place the lid on the slow cooker. Cook on low for 5 ½ – 6 hours.

Weight Watchers SmartPoints:
7 per servings (SP calculated using the recipe builder on

7 per servings (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on

313 calories, 20 g carbs, 9 g sugars, 13 g fat, 4 g saturated fat, 28 g protein, 4 g fiber (from

This post contains affiliate links

19 Responses to “Slow Cooker Beef Braciole”

Bev Pasquariello — May 28, 2013 @ 11:10 pm

omg you have done it again. Round steak here i come.

• Emily Koenigsberg replied: — May 29th, 2013 @ 3:55 am

I hope you love it, Bev! 🙂

Anonymous — May 29, 2013 @ 3:54 am

Looks delicious! If you remember to ask, most butchers will give you twine for free 🙂

• Emily Koenigsberg replied: — May 29th, 2013 @ 3:56 am

Pro tip! Thanks, I will try that next time (if I remember, haha).

jojo — May 29, 2013 @ 9:25 pm

This looks absolutely devine! Thank you!

Laura — May 30, 2013 @ 12:09 am

This is one recipe I can’t wait to try. My family used to make this when I was young, and you’re right, it’s great with pasta! Thank you!

Julie @ Table for Two — May 30, 2013 @ 1:53 am

This looks so amazing and I can imagine how tender the steak gets!

Anonymous — May 30, 2013 @ 7:44 pm

The only meal “Debra” cooked that everyone loved on “Everybody Loves Raymond”. Now I have the recipe!! Thank you!

Sherri @ The Well Floured Kitchen — May 31, 2013 @ 5:27 pm

So glad you enjoyed it! The raisins are an interesting twist. I do the toothpick thing too sometimes (not super elegant, but hey it works!)

Anonymous — June 7, 2013 @ 2:05 pm

That’s the first thing I thought of also!! I’ve always wondered how to make it since seeing that episode! LOL

Anonymous — June 12, 2013 @ 9:24 pm

I love your blog so much! Such great recipes and everyone has been delicious! I have the beef braciole in my slow cooker right now. I have a question, though, You have the setting at Low for 6 hours but the The Well Floured Kitchen recipe had the setting as High for 6 hours. Should I turn up my slow cooker?

• Emily Koenigsberg replied: — June 12th, 2013 @ 9:35 pm

I cooked mine on low and when I checked it at 5 1/2 hours it was cooked through perfectly. All slow cookers are a little different, so see how it works in yours!

• Anonymous replied: — June 13th, 2013 @ 12:51 am

This was so delicious served over pasta! My husband said “This is excellent!”. Six hours on low was spot on. Thanks for your great recipes.

Bev Pasquariello — July 28, 2013 @ 1:57 pm

Emily, i did make this and it was fantastic i left out the raisins tho, not found of them cooked. Used mushrooms instead. Awesome, reminds me of the sauce my husbands grandmother used to make with beef or port chops braised in sauce the sauce is a tenderizor and the meat just melts in your mouth

Michelle — April 24, 2014 @ 4:10 pm

Found your website through r/pointsplus on reddit and found this as one of the first recipes! It’s in the crock pot now and it smells so delicious! I can’t wait to try it out tonight with the boyfriend!

Laura A — January 4, 2016 @ 12:55 pm

I have been meaning to comment on this recipe for a long time now. Thank you, Emily for this one! This has become a family favorite (a family with a bunch of “my Sicilian grandmother was the best cook…” members). So, I followed your recipe to a T, and they all raved about I – not just once, but every time we make it. They don’t even know it was a lightened-up recipe. We even had it for this New Years Eve, and it made everyone happy. Just one note – I have learned the hard way to ask the butcher to thin slice the meat for me. I have tried, and failed, one too many times trying to make thin slices myself. And trust me folks – use the raisins. That is the true way to make it, and it really adds a subtle yet lovely something to the taste. Thanks again, Emily!!!

• Emily Bites replied: — January 10th, 2016 @ 12:08 am

I’m so happy this one is a hit with your fam!! That means a lot to me. Good call on having the butcher slice the meat thin – MUCH better than doing it yourself!

Marybug — January 18, 2016 @ 1:58 pm

I am making this recipes for the fourth time now! It’s one of our favorites! Thanks for an awesome recipe! Your blog has been my favorite for the past few months.

Karen — February 18, 2016 @ 4:21 pm

Hi there :

I’m really bad at commenting on blogs, which is totally pathetic since I write a cooking one myself (not anywhere near as good at this one – serious amateur here 🙂 ) I had to make an exception to my usual lame loser status for this recipe though…I made this for my family this week and we all absolutely LOVED it. I’ve lost 82 pounds on WW since last April and I’m always on the lookout for good recipes to help me along the way…this one is definitely going into the rotation. A number of folks on WW Connect (the only feature I like about the new program) recommended your blog; I am totally stoked to try some more of your recipes…goal here I come 🙂 thank you, thank you, THANK YOU !!