Guest Post: Skinny Tex Mex Casserole
Greetings from the beach! I’m on vacation in North Carolina this week but I’m happy to say that I’ve lined up two awesome guest posters to each share a favorite recipe from their own blogs with you while I’m gone. Please show them a warm welcome! Today is the first ever guest post on Emily Bites and it comes courtesy of Brooke Griffin, creator of Skinny Mom. Skinny Mom is a community of close to 100 mommy bloggers who post “the skinny” on food, fashion, fitness and family. Their mission is to “educate, support and motivate moms to lead their healthiest lives.” The site has a ton of great skinny recipes as well as tools for healthy living and I think you’re all going to love the recipe below. Without further ado, here’s the guest post for Skinny Tex Mex Casserole…
(From Skinny Mom) Sometimes the best recipes come from moments where you have no idea what to cook. Oh, and that last minute sprint to the grocery store! I came up with this quick and great tasting recipe a few weeks ago as I needed to cook dinner and the only main ingredient that I had on hand was lean ground beef. After throwing in other ingredients I had at home – green peppers, onion, and a box of whole wheat pasta – I came up with this delicious Skinny Tex Mex Casserole. The spicy flavors of the cumin and chili powder pair perfectly with the sweet corn. Feel free to add ½ cup reduced fat shredded cheese on top of the casserole before baking, but please note that the cheese is not calculated in the nutrition info or shown in the picture.
By providing the “skinny” on healthy living trends, Skinny Mom educates, supports & motivates moms to live their healthiest lives. Skinny Mom provides readers with the latest and greatest healthy living content, products and food and fitness planning through Skinny Mom’s Monthly Membership. Connect with Skinny Mom through on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.
Skinny Tex Mex Casserole
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 can 10.75 ounce Campbell’s Healthy Request Cheddar Cheese Soup
- 1 can 10.75 ounce Campbell’s Healthy Request Tomato Soup
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 lb lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 can 4.5 ounce green chilies
- 1 10 ounce can Rotel Mild tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can Black Beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15 ounce can Sweet Corn, drained
- 2 cups cooked whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp onion
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Using non-stick spray, spray a casserole dish and set aside.
- In a large skillet, add garlic, onion and hamburger meat. Brown hamburger meat, garlic, and onion until cooked through and the meat is no longer pink. Drain any liquid out of meat and return to low heat.
- Add Campbell’s Healthy Request Cheddar Cheese Soup, green chillies, and Rotel Tomatoes to cooked onion, garlic, and hamburger. Add in 1tablespoon of chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Stir on low heat for 3-5 minutes.
- In a medium sized bowl, add Campbell’s Healthy Request Tomato Soup and ½ cup of water. Whisk together until well mixed.
- In a large stock pan (I used the same pan that I cooked penne pasta) mix together cooked pasta, Campbell’s Healthy Request Tomato Soup with water. Stir until mixed.
- In a small bowl combine black beans and corn. Add 1 tsp chili powder and gently toss to mix.
- Pour pasta into the bottom of casserole dish. Top with hamburger meat mixture and then add corn and black beans mixture to top.
- Bake casserole in oven for 15 minutes until heated through.
Optional: Add ½ cup reduced fat cheddar cheese on top before baking.
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
9 per serving
374 calories, 50 g carbs, 10.8 g fat, 20 g protein, 9 g fiber
Weight Watchers points+ values and nutrition information calculated by Skinny Mom
Skinny Tex Mex Casserole by Skinny Mom