Bubble Up Lasagna Bake
This Bubble Up Lasagna Bake is a fun twist on an old favorite and a great way to get the sauce, cheesy, meaty flavors you love without prep time and layering. My husband loved this one, though I have to make his without mushrooms – it still tastes great! Better yet, a generous, filling serving of this casserole is only 335 calories or 8 Weight Watchers SmartPoints.
Looking for more easy, lightened up comfort food casseroles like this Bubble Up Lasagna Bake? Check out my Cottage Pie, Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Potato Bake, Layered Chicken Enchilada Bake, Chili Cornbread Bake, Teriyaki Chicken and Rice Casserole, Bubble Up Chicken Pot Pie Casserole, Chicken Parmesan Quinoa Bake, Cheesy Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole, Bubble Up Pizza Casserole, Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta Bake, Sausage and Stuffing Brunch Bake, Deep Dish Sloppy Joe Casserole, Bubble Up Enchilada Casserole and many more in the casserole section of my recipe index!
Bubble Up Lasagna Casserole
Yield: 6 servings
- 1.25 lbs raw 95% lean ground beef
- 8 oz sliced white mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 cup pasta sauce
- 10 oz package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed of all liquid)
- 1 tablespoon sliced fresh basil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1 (7.5 oz) can of refrigerated biscuit dough, biscuits cut into quarters (I used Wegmans brand, Pillsbury also makes them – if you can only find Grands, weigh out 7.5 ounces and cut them into small bite-sized pieces)
- 3/4 cup shredded 2% Mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup fat free ricotta cheese
- Pre-heat the oven to 350. Lightly mist a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Bring a large skillet or saute pan over medium heat and add the ground beef. Cook beef, breaking up with a spoon or spatula for a couple minutes and then add the mushrooms. Cook both for an additional 6-8 minutes until the beef is cooked through in pieces and the mushrooms are softened. Stir in the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, pasta sauce, spinach, salt, Italian seasoning, pepper flakes, pepper and biscuit dough pieces until well combined. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and spread evenly. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle the Mozzarella over the top. Drop spoonfulls of the ricotta across the surface of the casserole and then sprinkle with a bit more Italian seasoning. Return to the oven for another 15 minutes until hot and bubbly. Top with additional sliced basil if desired.
Weight Watchers SmartPoints:
8 per serving (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Weight Watchers PointsPlus:
9 per serving (PP calculated using a PointsPlus calculator and the nutrition info below)
335 calories, 32 g carbs, 9 g sugar, 9 g fat, 4 g saturated fat, 34 g protein, 3 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
an Emily Bites Original