Aug 09

Sausage Apple Cheddar Frittata

Sausage Apple Cheddar Frittata

This Sausage Apple Cheddar Frittata is easy to make, low carb, super filling and so full of flavor – it’s my new go-to breakfast! I get bored with eggs sometimes but this egg dish is anything but boring. The homemade turkey sausage is full of seasoning and flavor and pairs perfectly with the sweet apple and sharp cheddar cheese. This frittata reheats well so you can make it once and eat it for breakfast for a few days or serve the whole family for breakfast or brunch. I was already torn between my love for my Corn and Zucchini Summer Frittata and Butternut Squash Autumn Frittata, but I think I might love this Sausage Apple Cheddar Frittata even more. A hearty, satisfying serving is just 205 calories or 6 Weight Watchers SmartPoints – a perfect way to start the day!

Looking for more tasty, lightened up breakfast recipes? Check out my Strawberry Avocado Toast Flats, Berry French Toast Muffins, Bacon Egg and Cheese Breakfast Pastries, Raspberry Peach Baked Oatmeal Singles, Ham and Cheese Egg Cups, Orange Cranberry Baked Oatmeal Singles, Apple Cinnamon Slow Cooker OatmealApple Streusel French Toast Muffins, Ham and Cheese Hash Brown Quiche, Maple Bacon Breakfast Wraps, Pear Gingerbread Baked Oatmeal Singles, Bubble Up Breakfast Casserole, Strawberry Banana Baked Oatmeal Singles, Hummus and Feta Omelet, Mini Dutch Baby Pancakes, Sausage Egg and Cheese Hash Brown Cups and many more in the breakfast category of my recipe index!

Sausage Apple Cheddar Frittata

Yield: 6 slices

• ½ lb (8 oz) 93% lean ground turkey
  • ¾ teaspoon salt, divided
  • ½ teaspoon black pepper, divided
  • 1/3 teaspoon ground sage
  • 1/3 teaspoon ground thyme
  • 1 pinch dried marjoram
  • 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 cup peeled, chopped apples
  • 8 large eggs
  • 1/3 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
  • 2 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (make sure to choose a quality sharp cheddar for added flavor)

1. Pre-heat your oven to 350.
  2. In a mixing bowl, combine the ground turkey with ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper and the sage, thyme, marjoram and crushed red pepper. Stir (or mush with your hands or a fork) until the turkey is well combined with the seasonings.
  3. Mist an 8”-10” oven-safe nonstick walled skillet with cooking spray and bring to medium heat. Add the seasoned turkey and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until the turkey is cooked through and broken into bite-sized pieces. Add the chopped apples and cook for 2-3 more minutes, stirring a few times.
  4. While the turkey is cooking, break the eggs into a large mixing bowl and whisk together until just combined. Add the yogurt, the remaining ¼ teaspoon of salt, ¼ teaspoon of pepper and shredded cheddar and stir together until mixed.
  5. When the turkey and apples are cooked, transfer them into the bowl containing the egg mixture and stir together. Spray the skillet you used liberally with cooking spray and then pour the egg mixture into the skillet. Cook on a burner set to medium heat for 5-7 minutes until the very outside edge of the frittata starts to turn opaque/look cooked. Transfer the skillet into the oven and cook for 15-17 minutes until the center is set. Let cool for 5 minutes, then slice into 6 slices and serve.

Weight Watchers SmartPoints:
6 per slice (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)

6 per slice (P+ calculated using a Weight Watchers brand PointsPlus calculator and the nutrition information below)

Nutrition Information per slice:
205 calories, 4 g carbs, 3 g sugars, 13 g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 19 g protein, 0 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)

an Emily Bites Original

Yum

16 Responses to “Sausage Apple Cheddar Frittata”

kathi — August 9, 2017 @ 8:23 am

Can’t wait to try this one out. Put the ingredients on my shopping list. Sounds delicious!

• Emily Bites replied: — August 23rd, 2017 @ 2:51 pm

I hope you love it!

Krista — August 9, 2017 @ 7:50 pm

I absolutely love your autumn frittata and your corn and zucchini frittata, can’t wait to try this one! What kind of apples did you use?

• Emily Bites replied: — August 23rd, 2017 @ 2:51 pm

I’ve used a few different kinds, I think last time was an Empire? I hope you love this one too!

Laura — August 12, 2017 @ 11:57 am

I have loved the other frittatas, I think the corn zuchinni may still be my favorite just because of the freshness when the corn is in season…but this one was amazing as well! Yesterday my myfitnesspal had your recipes for breakfast, lunch and dinner lol. We love your site, thank you for coming up with such great and low cal recipes!!

• Emily Bites replied: — August 23rd, 2017 @ 2:49 pm

I’m so happy you liked this one too! It’s hard for me to pick a favorite, haha. Thanks so much for cooking along with me! 🙂

gina schultz — August 16, 2017 @ 1:13 am

This is a super easy, tasty, filling and Point savvy recipe. I ended up using premade low-fat turkey sausage and swapped all but 2 of the eggs for eggbeaters. I also sautéed part of an onion and a bit of fennel bulb that I had from the night before. This is perfect for breakfast on the go, or served with salad for brunch with the girls. Love it!! Way better than quiche.

• Emily Bites replied: — August 23rd, 2017 @ 2:47 pm

I’m glad you loved it! 🙂

Madeline — August 20, 2017 @ 9:23 am

Fantastic recipe. This was a great way for me to use the remaining 1/2 lb of turkey I had leftover from when I made the Thai Turkey with Carrot Noodles.

• Emily Bites replied: — August 23rd, 2017 @ 2:43 pm

Perfect! Great idea. I’m glad you loved it 🙂

Elle — August 21, 2017 @ 12:11 pm

I don’t have a skillet that can be used in the oven, if I were to cook up the turkey mixture and add it to the egg mixture and then bake in a casserole dish in the oven, how long do you think I would need to cook it for? Maybe 20 or so?

Elle — August 22, 2017 @ 6:13 pm

For inquiring minds I baked in an 8×8 casserole dish at 350 for 25 minutes. It was still liquidy in the middle so I bumped it up to 375 for another 12 minutes and it’s perfecto. I really need to invest in a skillet though. Sooo tasty, it’s a keeper for sure.

• Emily Bites replied: — August 23rd, 2017 @ 11:33 am

Thanks Elle! I just got back from vacation and I’m trying to catch up on comments. I’m glad you tried it because I wouldn’t have known what to tell you either since I’ve always made frittatas in an oven-safe skillet! I appreciate you reporting back for others!

Laura — September 24, 2017 @ 6:43 pm

This is so great. Ready for a laugh? I was multi-tasking when I made the recipe and left out the best ingredients – the greek yogurt and the cheese! It still turned out really tasty and only 3 points that way. Can’t wait to make it the right way. Thank you for the great recipes, Emily.

Amber — October 11, 2017 @ 10:43 am

Was a little bummed I wouldn’t be able to make this (don’t currently have a cool oven skillet) but Elle’s comment has saved the day! Definitely going to make this sometime – maybe over the weekend to prep for breakfasts next week!

• Emily Bites replied: — October 18th, 2017 @ 4:12 pm

I hope you love it! You may also want to check with the manufacturer. My nonstick cookware is oven-safe to 400 degrees so you may be surprised!