Until about a year ago I had never tried a Sloppy Joe. Generally when I tell people that they look shocked, but it simply wasn’t something my mother served us. I tried the canned Manwich kind about a year ago and found that though sloppy, they’re actually really yummy and a great comfort food.
When I saw this recipe on the Skinny Taste web site I knew right away that I wanted to give it a try. Gina’s site has so many amazing recipes and this is no exception, it’s absolutely delicious. I actually ended up eating some of the leftovers just straight out of a bowl the next day because the recipe is so good. The vegetables give it a hearty texture and I actually prefer the taste to the canned version. The picture of this recipe is awful (I’ll have to take a new one next time I make it and update it) but just trust me, you should make this.
Source: Slightly adapted from skinnytaste.com
1.25 lbs 95% lean ground beef, raw
1 T steak seasoning (I used McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning which is amazing)
1 carrot, minced
1 medium onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ c red bell pepper, minced
4 oz mushrooms, minced
1 T red wine vinegar
1 T Worcestershire sauce
2 c tomato sauce
2 T tomato paste
1. Put carrot, onion, mushrooms and bell pepper into a food processor and pulse until minced and combined
2. Bring a large skillet to med-high heat and add ground beef. Break it up as it browns and add steak seasoning. Once meat is browned, add minced vegetables and garlic and mix to combine.
3. Reduce the heat to medium and add the Worcestershire sauce and red wine vinegar. Cook 5 more minutes.
4. Add tomato sauce and tomato paste and stir mixture. Cover with lid and reduce heat to simmer for 5 more minutes.
5. Measure out a ½ cup serving and pile it onto a bun!
Yields 7 (1/2 cup) servings. WW P+: 4 per serving