Jan 18

Taco Casserole Bake

This casserole was downright delicious. I found this recipe on another blog, Healthy-Delicious, and the author compared the flavors to a big order of nachos you’d order at a casual dining chain restaurant. I think she’s almost right, but this tastes even better! The chili oil makes this pretty spicy (in a good way) so if you like things milder you could use mild salsa instead of medium to tone it down a little. The original recipe was made with ground chicken, so you can use that instead if you prefer. If you like Mexican-American food, you will love this!

Taco Casserole Bake

Yield: 6 servings

• 24 Baked Tostitos Scoops
  • 1 T Chili Oil (I found this in the Asian foods aisle) - if you are considering replacing this with regular oil please note the chili oil adds a lot of spice and flavor to this dish, so replacing it will affect the flavor profile
  • 1 Onion, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 ¼ lbs extra lean ground turkey (I used Jennie-O which comes in a 1.25 lb package)
  • 2 T taco seasoning
  • 15 oz can black beans, drained
  • 1 c salsa (I used medium)
  • 1 c reduced fat shredded Mexican cheese (I used Weight Watchers brand)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a large skillet, warm the chili oil and sauté onions and garlic until softened. Add ground turkey and taco seasoning, break up into pieces and cook until meat is browned. Mix in salsa and beans and cook for a few more minutes until salsa thickens.
  3. Break up the tortilla chips into bite sized pieces and use them to line the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish. Evenly spread the meat mixture over the chips and then sprinkle cheese over the top*. Bake for 20 minutes.

7 per serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)

adapted from Healthy-Delicious

35 Responses to “Taco Casserole Bake”

Bean — February 9, 2011 @ 5:01 pm

looks delicious! just added it to my menu for the week!

Lisa — February 21, 2011 @ 12:12 am

This is so good! If you have kids, they will beg you to make it again!

Erin — May 24, 2011 @ 7:10 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

Anonymous — August 9, 2011 @ 10:06 pm

This was really good! I put a serving of this over a salad and mmmm a great taco salad!! Thanks Emily

Liz — November 1, 2011 @ 12:49 am

This was really good! Next time, I will omit the chips on the bottom- we ate it with more corn chips. Also would be really good in a taco shell or in a flour tortilla. YUM!

Nicole — December 2, 2011 @ 11:30 pm

The whole family enjoyed this one, kids included! Thanks for posting.

Reena the Diva — December 4, 2011 @ 7:25 am

adding this to my list of things to make this week! i like mexican dishes because most of the time i have over half of the ingredients in the house already. :)

emilybites — December 6, 2011 @ 2:54 am

Awesome, thanks everyone! Glad you liked it. Reena, let me know what you think!

Anonymous — January 22, 2012 @ 1:35 am

Made this for dinner tonight, big hit even with my picky brother who hates casseroles, he had 2 servings..thanks for all the great recipes.

Linda

• emilybites replied: — January 22nd, 2012 @ 3:54 am

Haha, I hear people have negative reactions to the word “casserole” all the time and I always think it’s funny. To me all that word really means is stuff mixed together in a 9×13 baking dish and baked – it can be delicious or awful depending what’s in it! I’m so glad your brother was able to give it a chance and that you both liked it. :)

Laura — February 4, 2012 @ 7:46 pm

This was really yummy! I left out the tortila chips so it was only 5 points and then at some on the side. I did add ff sour cream and some wholly guacamole too. My husband thought it was great as well. We love finding non diet tasting recipes while we try to stay on track with our weight watchers.

• emilybites replied: — February 5th, 2012 @ 1:39 am

Thanks, Laura! I’m so glad you and your husband loved it!

Pam — February 5, 2012 @ 4:07 pm

I’m excited to make this! My husband and I went to 2 stores looking for chili oil and had no luck. We bought some diced green chilis to add. I hope this doesn’t effect the flavor to much! Thanks for all the great recipes!!!

• emilybites replied: — February 6th, 2012 @ 1:09 am

I hope you like it!

SA — March 17, 2012 @ 1:31 am

Made this tonight. Loved it!!!

• emilybites replied: — March 18th, 2012 @ 3:43 pm

So glad to hear it was a hit!

Anonymous — March 30, 2012 @ 8:01 pm

Do you have the nutritional information for this dish? I’d love to try it, but am counting calories/fat versus doing weight watchers (for budget purposes).

Thanks!

• emilybites replied: — April 7th, 2012 @ 9:25 pm

I started providing full nutrition information for my recipes at the beginning of the year, but it’s taking me quite a while to go back through and add it to all my older recipes. If you want to NI for this recipe before I get it, I use the free recipe builder at myfitnesspal.com, so you are totally welcome to enter the ingredients there!

Anonymous — April 1, 2012 @ 11:08 pm

I made this tonight and it was beyond delicious. I omitted the corn chips and added corn, black olives, and petite diced tomatoes to add a little more. Topped it with FF sour cream and Wholly Guacamole – delish!

My boyfriend and I can’t stop raving about this recipe and we’re so glad we have leftovers. Thank you for your WW friendly blog and delicious recipes!!

• emilybites replied: — April 7th, 2012 @ 9:27 pm

Sounds like some yummy additions. I always love adding Wholly Guacamole! I’m so glad you and your boyfriend both loved this! Thanks for your comment :)

• Anonymous replied: — April 29th, 2012 @ 9:16 pm

IS WHOLLY GUACAMOLE A BRAND NAME? cATHY

Jennifer Dent — July 24, 2012 @ 10:07 am

This dish was super yummy! I am always a fan of WW recipes my husband and 4 children will also eat. Looking forward to trying more of your recipes:)

Kim — August 4, 2012 @ 1:16 pm

I really want to make this dish… but I cant find chili oil. Is there another name for it. or a substitute?

Jennifer Dent — August 6, 2012 @ 2:47 pm

I made my own. You can look up a recipe on line

LoisLane59 — November 13, 2012 @ 8:01 pm

Emily – I love your website! I have made several of your recipes and there is none that we don’t like. Last night we had this Taco Casserole Bake. Everyone loved it.
    Thanks for helping those of us on WW stay on plan with your delicious recipes!

fridaynightgirl — January 10, 2013 @ 12:17 pm

Hi Emily! I found your blog in a google search for GOOD food that weight watchers doesn’t hate. Yes, really.

I made the taco casserole bake last night and it was a HUGE hit (except with the 10 year old who, oh my gosh mom, can’t be compelled to eat anything remotely spicy).

Thanks to all the really yummy looking recipes on your site, I believe this WW thing might work after all. Thanks! I plan on posting a link back from my blog http://fridaynightgirl.wordpress.com. Have a look!

Anonymous — January 12, 2013 @ 1:07 pm

Emily, do you think leftovers could be frozen and reheated? or would it be best to cut recipe in half for just two people. Thank you!!!- Krista R.

Jaime — February 7, 2013 @ 7:53 pm

The portion sizes rock on this.. just had leftovers for lunch and I’m so stuffed! Recipe was delicious. :)

Anonymous — February 18, 2013 @ 5:28 pm

This was really good. It’s a keeper!

• Anonymous replied: — February 18th, 2013 @ 5:30 pm

I used 1 pound canned white meat chicken, shredded, instead of turkey.

Nick Miller — April 29, 2013 @ 10:20 pm

Do you add water with the taco seasoning like most packs say, or does the salsa replace the need?

kimbosue — May 15, 2013 @ 12:14 pm

It was SO, SO good! I am glad I found the chili oil to add. I think that was the key ingredient. Thanks so much. Looking forward to trying more of your recipes!

Anonymous — September 14, 2013 @ 11:22 pm

I’m not sure I’ve ever posted on a recipe before but THIS WAS SOOOOOO GOOD! I loved it so much and will be making it A LOT! THANK YOU!!! :)

abby — June 3, 2014 @ 3:11 pm

Do you know that calories per serving for this recipe?

Jena — September 9, 2014 @ 12:50 pm

Would it be possible to get the nutritional information for this recipe?