Feb 20

Nutella Thumbprints

A little bit of Nutella goes a long way toward making these rich, decadent cookies. If you’re unfamiliar with Nutella, it’s a hazelnut spread made with cocoa and skim milk to create a creamy chocolatey, nutty taste. If you really love hazelnuts and you want to take these cookies a step further, the original recipe called for the cookies to be rolled in chopped hazelnuts before baking. I chose to save 1 p+ per cookie by omitting that step, but if you’d like to add them, follow the link to the original Cooking Light recipe for quantities. For 2 p+ I thought these were the perfect cookies to fend off a chocolate craving because the Nutella centers make them taste so rich that I could just eat one and feel satisfied.

Nutella Thumbprints

Yield: 28 cookies

• 1 c all-purpose flour
  • 1 c powdered sugar
  • 1/3 c unsweetened cocoa
  • 1/4 t salt
  • 1/2 c butter (1 stick)
  • 2 large egg yolks
  • 1/2 t vanilla extract
  • 1/3 c Nutella hazelnut-chocolate spread

1. Preheat the oven to 350
  2. Spoon flour into a measuring cup and level the top with a knife to create exactly 1 cup of unpacked flour. In a large bowl, combine flour with powdered sugar, salt and cocoa, stirring until mixed. In a separate large bowl, place the stick of butter and beat it with a hand mixer at a medium speed until fluffy (about 1-2 minutes). Stir the egg yolks together in a small cup with a whisk and when combined, add them along with the vanilla to the butter and beat with mixer until combines. Add flour mixture to bowl and beat together on a low speed for several minutes until dough combines and thickens.
  3. Place the dough onto a sheet of wax paper and knead it several times until smooth. Breaking pieces off the dough, form 28 balls (about 1 inch each). Line a large baking sheet (or 2 if necessary) with parchment paper and place the balls in rows one inch apart on the paper. In the center of each cookie, press your thumb about halfway through the ball to create an indentation. Bake cookies for 10 minutes and remove from oven. Place cookies on wire racks and let them cool completely. Once cooled, spread about ½ teaspoon of Nutella into the indented center of each cookie.

2 per cookie (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)

Adapted from Cooking Light

21 Responses to “Nutella Thumbprints”

Linda — February 20, 2011 @ 5:50 pm

Thanks!

wilcoxv330 — February 20, 2011 @ 7:56 pm

your version looks better than the cooking light version!

Anonymous — May 17, 2011 @ 9:39 pm

i made these tonight and they are delicious! thanks so much :)

Anonymous — June 14, 2011 @ 1:05 am

I just learned about Nutella…can we say YUM! It is very addicting, I am going to make these, they look awesome! Thanks!

Anonymous — October 20, 2011 @ 5:02 pm

Do you have to have the parchment paper or can you just lay them on the cookie sheet? Iam not sure what the paper does!

emilybites — October 20, 2011 @ 5:12 pm

Parchment paper is totally nonstick and allows the cookies to slide right off when they’re done. If you prefer to spray your baking sheet with nonstick spray that should work fine.

Lauren — November 28, 2011 @ 12:13 am

LOVE nutella. Question though- normally I avoid making cookies/sweets recipes because they make such a large quantity of (delicious) sweets and are so tempting to finish off myself. Do you know if you are able to freeze the dough for future use? Would it last a month? Only a week or two? I love the idea of portioning out the batter to freeze so that I only make a handful of cookies at a time (say 4-6 at a time).

emilybites — November 29, 2011 @ 2:09 am

Lauren – I’ve never frozen the dough so your guess is as good as mine! If you try it, definitely report back :)

Marina — December 20, 2011 @ 4:03 pm

I made these recently and while I was making the dough I put the yolks in but it wasn’t making dough…there didn’t seem to be enough liquid so I put the egg whites in as well and they turned out delicious. I’m wondering if others have had this problem?

Anonymous — April 21, 2012 @ 1:20 am

Hey! I have made these twice and omg they are soooooo yummy!!!! I was wondering if u knew what the calorie would be for each one? I always end up eating more that 2 lol

• emilybites replied: — April 24th, 2012 @ 1:52 am

I’m currently in the process of going back and calculating the nutrition information for my older recipes (for the first year I only posted Weight Watchers Points) and unfortunately it’s a time-consuming process! I will try to get this one soon, but if you want the NI before then, you could always run the ingredients through the recipe builder on myfitnesspal.com. That’s how I calculate it!

SAM — April 26, 2012 @ 11:16 pm

Need the calorie details. I,ve noticed many recipies without??
    Plz, we need the calorie counts also.
    Thank-you for all you do..

• emilybites replied: — April 27th, 2012 @ 12:02 am

Please see my response to the comment directly above! :)

Brandy Warthan — April 28, 2012 @ 6:54 pm

Emily,
    Would it be okay to use egg beaters? I didn’t know if you had heard of anyone else substituting it in the recipe.
    Thanks!
    Brandy

Anonymous — September 25, 2012 @ 2:29 am

Just made these tonight….they are amazing and my picky husband even loved them!

MasqueradeDiva3 — November 29, 2012 @ 7:19 am

OMG! These sound sooooo good! i can’t wait to make them!

Lily Green — January 25, 2013 @ 11:34 pm

These are AWESOME.

Kristi Collins — March 1, 2013 @ 10:59 pm

These are great! Like a commenter above, the batter was way too dry at first. I had thrown out the egg whites already, so I used a little bit of 1% milk (probably 1-2 T) to make the batter. Delicious!

jennifer wellman — May 17, 2013 @ 3:44 pm

Made these last night…OMG!!!!!! well worth it. Very easy to make.

Kristen — October 29, 2013 @ 11:19 pm

For anyone wondering, I ran this through a nutrition calculator and got the following for each cookie (assuming 28 cookies):
    82 calories, 14g carbs, 5g fat, 1g protein, 1g fiber. But when I run that through a WW calc it says it’s 3 pp+ per cookie, 6 pp+ for 2 cookies, etc. BUT! If you up it to serve 30 people, it takes it down to 2 pp+ per cookie. So I think the fact that it took so little to change it probably means that it really depends on the specific ingredients you use. Either way I feel like 82 calories should really only count as 2 pp+. Anyway, I’m off to make these, they look fantastic!

1. Pingback: Time to start those Holiday Cookies!