Mixed Berry French Toast Bake
This dish was a huge hit with my family for Mother’s Day Brunch and it was so easy to make! You basically just pour some ingredients in a baking dish the night before, chill overnight and then bake the next morning. The results were delicious. I love berries with French toast, and the brown sugar crumble gave a sweet contrast to some of the tart berries. The texture of the French toast came out perfect too; the top was a bit crispy and the bottom was soft without being too mushy. We served this with a side of turkey bacon and some refreshing peach iced tea wine spritzers (delicious) and the whole brunch was filling, tasty and perfect for a celebration!
Mixed Berry French Toast
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 loaf (1 lb) French bread, cubed
- 6 egg whites
- 3 eggs
- 1 ¾ cups skim milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 package (12 oz) frozen unsweetened mixed berries (you could substitute fresh)
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- Lightly mist a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and fill with bread cubes. In a large bowl, whisk together the egg whites, eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and salt until combined. Pour egg mixture evenly over the bread cubes. Cover dish with aluminum foil and refrigerate overnight (or 8 hours).
- Remove the frozen berries from the freezer 30 minutes before baking to let them defrost and pre-heat the oven to 350. Remove the baking dish from the refrigerator and bake it in the oven, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Put the brown sugar in a small bowl and using two knives, cut the cold butter into the brown sugar until combined into a fine crumble. When the baking dish comes out of the oven, sprinkle the berries evenly over the top of the bread, followed by the brown sugar crumb topping. Return to the oven, uncovered, and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes.
WEIGHT WATCHERS FREESTYLE SMARTPOINTS:
9 per serving (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PLUS:
8 per serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
286 calories, 46 g carbs, 13 g sugars, 6 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 13 g protein, 2 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
Source: Taste of Home