Monkey Bread Muffins
These Monkey Bread Muffins are my first experience with monkey bread. I’d actually never heard of it until this year when I started reading food blogs, though evidently it’s quite popular. If you’ve been living under a rock like me, monkey bread is a sticky pastry/cake made up of small pieces of dough coated in melted butter, sugar and cinnamon (and sometimes nuts). These were tasty and incredibly easy to make. Also, unlike traditional monkey bread, these are made into individual servings so you know when to stop eating! These muffins have very similar flavors to a cinnamon bun, so if that’s what you’re craving these are a great light way to indulge!
Monkey Bread Muffins
Yield: 12 servings
- 2 (8 count) cans reduced fat crescent rolls
- 2/3 cup sugar free maple syrup (if you use light syrup instead of sugar free just add one point+ to each muffin)
- 1 tablespoon light butter
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon, separated
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350. Lightly mist 12 cups of a muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside.
- Separate the crescent rolls and tear or cut each one into three even pieces. Roll each piece between your hands to form a ball of dough. You should end up with 48 dough balls.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar and 1 tablespoon of the cinnamon and stir. Roll each dough ball in the mixture until coated. Place four dough balls in each cup of the prepared 12 cup muffin tin.
- In a separate small bowl, microwave the butter for 30 seconds or until melted. Add the syrup and the remaining tablespoon of cinnamon and stir until combined. Spoon this mixture evenly over the tops of each muffin cup, coating the dough balls with the syrup mixture.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes. Use a butter knife around the edges to remove from tin. Enjoy!
Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints:
6 per serving (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
4 per serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
142 calories, 23 g carbs, 6 g sugars, 5 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 3 g protein, 1 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
adapted from Dashing Dish