Popsicles: they’re not just for kids anymore. There’s no better way to refresh yourself with a nice cocktail on a hot summer day than by eating it in boozy popsicle form. Alcohol doesn’t freeze you say? As long as there’s a proper ratio with a non-alcoholic mixer (i.e. juice) it will work just fine. I’m generally not a red wine drinker (Riesling all the way) but when it’s sweetened, mixed with juice and soaked into fruit, it’s my favorite. These Sangria Popsicles turned out exactly as I’d hoped: sangria on a stick! The chunks of fruit in it are super tasty. Perfect for lounging poolside, relaxing on an Adirondack chair on your front porch or treating your guests at a backyard soiree.
I have had the same popsicle molds for a few years now and I have no recollection of where I bought them anymore (Target? Walmart? Wegmans?) but they look exactly like these ones I found on Amazon. Mine each hold about ½ cup of liquid. If you have larger molds you may want to change the serving size. If you don’t have popsicle molds you could always use Dixie cups and wooden popsicle sticks, but I think popsicle molds are a great investment so I recommend just getting a set!
Yield: 6 servings
- ½ cup diced apples
- ½ a medium orange, cut into small pieces
- ¾ cup red wine (I used Don Ramon Campo De Borja)
- ¾ cup Trop 50 Orange Juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice ( I got this much out of one large lemon with my wooden reamer)
- In a small bowl, Poor the wine over the diced apple and orange pieces. Let soak for at least 10 minutes.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine the orange juice, sugar and lemon juice and stir in the sugar. Microwave on high for 30 second intervals, 2-3 times or until the sugar is dissolved. Stir again and let cool for several minutes.
- Add the wine & fruit mixture to the orange juice mixture and stir to combine. Distribute the sangria mixture (fruit and liquid) evenly into 6 popsicle molds. Freeze for at least 8 hours. Enjoy!
Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints:
3 per serving (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
2 per serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
66 calories, 12 g carbs, 10 g sugars, 0 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 g protein, 1 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
adapted from ihavenet