Spicy Black Bean Veggie Burgers
Wow. These Spicy Black Bean Veggie Burgers are the tastiest veggie burgers I have ever had. By far. Generally, I feel neutral about veggie burgers. I will eat them if that’s what’s available, but I would never choose one over a hamburger (at least not for reasons of taste). This black bean burger has completely changed my mind. It turns out a little crispy on the outside and softer on the inside. The blend of flavors is perfect. I love cumin, and it plays a key role in the flavors here. The jalapeno and sriracha give the burger a spicy kick, while the cool, buttery avocado slices balance them out. I love black beans as a burger base and the corn adds a tiny bit of sweetness as well. The whole combination is nothing short of magical. The patty itself is so good I had one for a snack later by itself and was overjoyed.
I found this recipe on Eat, Live Run (great blog, follow it!) and the only major change I made was to use an egg as the binding agent rather than ground flax. I’m not a vegan, so I just don’t have ingredients like that on hand. If you would prefer to use flax, follow the link below to the original recipe for vegan instructions.
Spicy Black Bean Veggie Burgers
Yield: 6 burgers
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 (15 oz) cans of black beans, drained and rinsed, separated
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 ¼ teaspoons salt
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs (I used Ian’s Whole Wheat Panko Crumbs)
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- ½ cup corn (fresh, frozen or canned as long as it’s drained/defrosted)
- 2 eggs
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ of an avocado
- 3 teaspoons sriracha (Thai hot sauce)
- 6 light whole wheat sandwich rolls or burger buns
- Cut open the jalapeno and remove the seeds. Chop and place in a food processor with the garlic cloves. Pulse until finely chopped. Add one can of drained & rinsed black beans to the food processor and pulse to mix. Add the cumin and salt and continue to run food processor until a chunky paste forms.
- Pour the black bean mixture from the food processor into a large mixing bowl. Add the bread crumbs, tomato sauce, corn and eggs. Stir together to combine. Add the remaining can of drained & rinsed black beans. Stir to combine. Form mixture into 6 patties.
- Bring 2 teaspoons of oil to medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add three of the patties to the skillet and cook on each side 3-4 minutes until golden brown. Use a large spatula to flip; patties are fragile. Repeat with remaining patties.
- Place each patty on a bun and top with 1/8 of an avocado (sliced) and ½ teaspoon of sriracha. Enjoy!
Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints:
5 per full burger with bun and toppings, 2 for just the patty (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com), a burger was 9 SP on the previous plan
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
9 per full burger with bun and toppings, 5 for just the patty (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
NUTRITION INFORMATION with topping & bun:
400 calories, 63 g carbs, 10 g fat, 18 g protein, 17 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
NUTRITION INFORMATION patty only:
260 calories, 40 g carbs, 3 g sugars, 6 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 13 g protein, 11 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
slightly adapted from Eat, Live, Run