Jul 20

Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins

Is there any better way to eat vegetables than nestled within a warm, fluffy muffin and surrounded by cinnamon and bursts of chocolate? You be the judge. Zucchini bread (or a muffin in this case) does not need to be an oil-laden calorie bomb. Substituting unsweetened applesauce for the oil saves a ton of calories and still produces a decadent, fluffy, delicious result. These muffins are delicious and perfect for breakfast, dessert or a snack. Zucchini for breakfast? Yes, please.

Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins

Yield: 12 servings

• 1 ½ c white whole wheat flour
  • ¾ c of sugar
  • 1 t baking soda
  • 1 t ground cinnamon
  • ½ t salt
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • ½ c unsweetened applesauce
  • ¼ c skim milk
  • 1 T fresh lemon juice
  • 1 t vanilla extract
  • 1 c shredded zucchini
  • ¼ c miniature semisweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat the oven to 350. Line 12 muffin cups with cupcake liners or lightly mist the muffin tin with cooking spray.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt and stir until mixed.
  3. In a medium bowl, combine the egg, applesauce, milk, lemon juice and vanilla. Stir until mixed.
  4. Pour the bowl of wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and stir until combined, forming a moist batter. Fold in the zucchini and chocolate chips.
  5. Spoon the batter evenly into the liners. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.

4 per serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)

adapted from my dear friend Julie Updyke

17 Responses to “Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins”

Cathy — March 25, 2012 @ 8:37 pm

Just made these… Super delicious! I’m going to leave half out for breakfast this week and freeze the rest. Thanks for the recipe ,EB!

• emilybites replied: — March 26th, 2012 @ 11:21 pm

So glad you liked them, Cathy!

Tausha and baby Jorja — April 2, 2012 @ 12:02 am

yummy, this is my third time making these! They are always a huge hit!

• emilybites replied: — April 7th, 2012 @ 9:19 pm

So happy that you love them!

holly — May 3, 2012 @ 7:53 pm

Hey Emily-just a thought-looks like in most of your photos of your “muffins” a good portion of them is stuck to the paper….
    Try renolds no stick muffin tin liners, or spray the inside of the papers with pam…
    I find most recipes without added oil do this and the above mentioned methods have worked well for me, also silicone muffin tins work too!

Lisa — June 13, 2012 @ 10:56 pm

How many calories are in a muffin? Thanks:)

Anonymous — June 21, 2012 @ 5:45 pm

Hi, this recipe sounds wonderful. I have two questions in regards to the sugar though. 1) Can I use less sugar or will the muffins not bake properly? 2) May I substitute sugar for something like Stevia or Maple Syrup?

kuchnik01 — July 7, 2012 @ 3:48 pm

Just made these for a Saturday morning treat, Delish! I used two egg whites instead of 1 whole egg and used unsweetened almond milk instead of skim. My husband wanted some raisins in them too, so I threw some in. Love all of your recipes!

Anonymous — July 20, 2012 @ 11:07 pm

A new favorite, thank you!

Jess — August 18, 2012 @ 12:25 am

These were so awesome! I actually used 1/8c canola oil and 3/8c applesauce. I find that recipes with applesauce only have that “low-fat taste.” Still only 4P+ and worth every one!! Thanks!

Anonymous — October 11, 2012 @ 6:38 pm

Made these this week and they are ABSOLUTELY amazing. Will definitely be keeping this recipe handy.

Anonymous — May 19, 2013 @ 6:01 pm

Hi Emily…this recipe is amazing. I found this in Dec 2012 and I have already made it 4 times. It’s so easy to make, healthy and delicious and the only way I eat zucchini :-) thanks a lot for sharing!

Cathy — August 17, 2013 @ 2:19 pm

Hi! I made these this morning and told the 4 year old that they were “chocolate chip muffins.” She loved it and ate the whole thing – a big accomplishment since she refuses to eat zucchini. I also love them and am glad to have found the recipe! Thanks!

Anonymous — October 13, 2013 @ 4:08 pm

So good! I didn’t realize I didn’t have lemon juice until I already started but they were wonderful anyways. Very easy to make as well.

Christina — June 19, 2014 @ 12:09 pm

I would love to know too if you can reduce the sugar or use a substitute such as honey, maple syrup or something else.

• Emily Bites replied: — June 19th, 2014 @ 12:13 pm

I’ve never made them that way, so I really can’t say how they’d turn out. Feel free to give it a try and report back!

Jenny — July 18, 2014 @ 11:52 am

These were great! I doubled the recipe and the batter seemed a little dry so I added an extra egg. I did not have any chocolate chips so I added in a little coca powder. I also threw in an extra cup of zucchini because I figured it wouldn’t change it up all that much. They came out very moist and delicious. Thanks for the great recipe! Next time I would like to experiment with a sugar substitute.