I realized recently that I haven’t posted many side dishes to my blog. I tend to focus more on the main course and then throw some vegetables or a salad on my plate to complete the meal. Then the other day when I was having dinner at my parents’ house, and my mom made these zucchini squares as a side to barbecue chicken. They were delicious and I was reminded that a good side dish can add a lot toward turning a plate of food into a meal. Sorry I neglected you, side dishes. This one’s for you.
This recipe is kind of a classic. I like to think of it as an oldie but goodie. The texture is like a crust-less quiche. Parmesan and zucchini are always fantastic together, and this is no exception. These squares are light and fluffy, herby and flavorful, cheesy and healthy. They’re a perfect complement to any meat dish. There’s a reason people have been making these for years: they are delicious.
Yield: 12 servings
- 3 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup Bisquick Heart Smart Baking Mix
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- dash of garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 350. Lightly mist a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together all listed ingredients until combined. Pour ingredients into the prepared baking dish and spread.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cut into 12 squares.
Weight Watchers SmartPoints:
4 per serving (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
3 per serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
127 calories, 9 g carbs, 2 g sugars, 8 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 5 g protein, 0 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)