Buffalo Chicken Bites
Some of you may have read about my Buffalo Chicken Ravioli attempt-turned-fiasco in part one of my interview on Skinny Jeans, Fat Wallet last week. They can’t all be culinary masterpieces, folks. Luckily, I still had Buffalo chicken on the brain so I decided to take a different approach. Now this was a success. The panko forms a crusty coating for the shredded chicken inside, nestled amongst creamy cheeses and spicy wing sauce. All these flavors come together in each perfect bite!
I can’t help thinking that with football season back on and soon approaching, these bites would make a great finger food for game day. You can serve them on their own or with some blue cheese dressing for dipping and some celery and carrots on the side. Maybe if every one of my readers serves Buffalo Chicken Bites on Sundays during football season the Buffalo Bills will win more than four games this year! Maybe? Please? Hm. Well, you really should make them anyway. Can’t hurt to try.
Buffalo Chicken Bites
Yield: 6 (4 Buffalo Chicken Bite) servings
- 1 lb raw boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/3 – 2/3 cup Buffalo wing sauce (I used 1/3 cup of Anchor Bar brand, but feel free to adjust based on how spicy you like it)
- ¾ cup shredded 2% reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- 4 oz of 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup of panko crumbs (I used Ian’s Whole Wheat Panko)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350. Lightly mist a baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Place the chicken breasts into the boiling water and boil, uncovered, for 15-30 minutes until cooked through. Remove chicken from the water and shred using two forks.
- In a large bowl, combine the shredded chicken with the wing sauce, cheddar, blue cheese, scallions and cream cheese and stir together until thoroughly mixed. On a sheet of parchment paper or other flat, nonstick surface, separate the chicken mixture into 24 equal piles and then role each one into a ball.
- In a shallow dish, combine the panko crumbs with salt and pepper and mix to combine. Roll each ball of chicken in the panko, coating the outside, and place it on the prepared baking sheet. Spray the tops of the panko-coated chicken bites with cooking spray and transfer them to the oven to bake for 20-25 minutes until panko is slightly browned and crunchy.
Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints:
5 per (4 buffalo chicken bite) serving (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com), a serving was 6 SP on the previous program
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
5 per (4 buffalo chicken bite) serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Nutrition Information per serving:
215 calories, 7 g carbs, 1 g sugars, 8 g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 22 g protein, 1 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
adapted from Back to her Roots