Aug 13

Pepperoni & Sausage Stromboli

Stromboli is not a food I grew up with. The first time I ever saw it was actually in high school, as leftovers in the refrigerator of one of my friends. “So it’s like pizza rolled up and then sliced into spirals??” “Yeah, basically.” “Oh my gosh, genius!” I was immediately sold. Fast-forward 12-13 years to a couple weeks ago when I saw something similar entitled ‘pizza roll-up’ in a Taste of Home cookbook. I was so excited to be reminded of this idea! I changed the contents of the ‘roll-up’ from beef, jarred peppers and basil to sausage, fresh bell peppers and pepperoni to suit my own tastes, but the general concept remained the same. This is a great recipe because it’s simple to put together and you can customize the filling based on your preferences. Your kids don’t like peppers? Leave them off half the Stromboli! You’re a vegetarian? Replace the meat with some roasted vegetables! The possibilities are endless. Experiment and leave me a comment! I’d love to know what combinations you try.

Pepperoni & Sausage Stromboli

Yield: 6 (2 slices with sauce) servings

• ½ lb hot Italian turkey or chicken sausage, removed from casing
  • ¼ of a bell pepper, chopped (I used orange because that’s what my grocery store had the best selection of, but feel free to use any color you like)
  • 1 can (13.8 oz) refrigerated pizza crust dough
  • 1 (10 oz) package of frozen chopped spinach (defrosted and squeezed/patted dry)
  • 17 slices turkey pepperoni, quartered
  • ¾ c reduced fat 2% shredded mozzarella
  • 1 t Italian seasoning
  • Cooking spray
  • 1 T grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 (8 oz) can pizza sauce

1. Pre-heat the oven to 375. Lightly mist a baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
  2. In a large skillet, cook the sausage over medium heat, breaking it up with a spoon. Once browned, add the bell pepper and continue to heat until cooked.
  3. Unroll the pizza dough. Spread the spinach across the surface, followed by the sausage & pepper mixture. Sprinkle the pepperoni pieces across the top, followed by the shredded cheese. Starting with the short side, roll the dough, with the toppings inside, until you reach the other end. Tuck the ends of the roll under and pinch the seam to seal.
  4. Place the roll on the prepared baking sheet. Spray the top and sides with cooking spray and then sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Let cool for 5 minutes before cutting. Cut into 12 slices and serve with pizza sauce.

8 per (2 slice) serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)

NUTRITION INFORMATION:
296 calories, 32 g carbs, 12 g fat, 18 g protein, 3 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)

Inspired by Taste of Home

29 Responses to “Pepperoni & Sausage Stromboli”

Emily — August 13, 2011 @ 4:17 pm

Oh, silly me! I always thought you were supposed to eat the entire thing. Maybe that’s why it was never WW-friendly! :)

emilybites — August 13, 2011 @ 4:20 pm

Haha, that’s always the tricky part :P

Anonymous — August 14, 2011 @ 10:26 pm

Made this tonight – DELICIOUS. Thanks so much for the recipe! Mine didn’t look as pretty as yours, but it tasted great!

-M.

• Anonymous replied: — January 22nd, 2013 @ 12:28 am

Mine looked terrible as well but was delicious. The problem I had with the flip was that it made the dough so thin that it was all or nothing. The middle was stretched so thin there was no dough and the ends were nothing but dough. Operator error, I don’t hold it against the delicious flavor!

emilybites — August 15, 2011 @ 12:27 am

Glad to hear it was a hit!

runkaleighrun — August 16, 2011 @ 3:39 pm

This looks to die for!

KJ — August 17, 2011 @ 1:33 am

Emily, I feel that I should share with you that I post pictures of ALL of the foods I make on my fb wall, and I frequently get requests for recipes. I wish I could tag you in my photos on fb, so you could get the credit!

Thank you…for helping me stay OP-ish, even when I’m not OP

(but I have been for the last two weeks)

emilybites — August 17, 2011 @ 1:37 am

Thanks, that’s awesome! You actually can tag Emily Bites in Facebook photos as long as you’re a fan of the page. I’d love to see the pics!!

Anonymous — August 23, 2011 @ 10:42 pm

What brand frozen pizza dough did you use? Mine fell apart when I tried rolling it. So I made it into a casserole dish instead.

emilybites — August 23, 2011 @ 10:45 pm

I used refrigerated dough, not frozen. I think it was Pillsbury (unless it was my store brand knockoff). Sorry yours didn’t work well!

Anonymous — August 24, 2011 @ 3:41 am

Thanks. I will definitely try it again because what I did make was pretty yummy.

Anonymous — October 11, 2011 @ 2:28 am

I have to thank you for your whole site in general first. Thank you, thank you! You have taken the hard work out of cooking, which is figuring out the WW points. I made this tonight and my husband, who doesn’t eat anything with spinach in it, asked to have this again next week. It is absolutely delicious! Again thank you. ~Becky

Anonymous — October 12, 2011 @ 11:41 pm

We just had this for dinner tonight…two thumbs waaaay UP! Absolutely delicious. My husband loved it and said it was not at all what he expected. I skipped the pepperoni and used turkey sausage, fresh spinach and mushrooms. This will be going in permanent rotation. Thanks for all you do, you are so appreciated!!

emilybites — October 13, 2011 @ 1:48 am

Thanks ladies! Glad you and your husbands loved it!

Ali — October 21, 2011 @ 5:52 pm

Yay I’m so excited to try this tonight! I think I’m going to make it with chicken sausage, tomatos, and a pepper (it’s what I have). I’ll tell you how it goes!

Anonymous — February 14, 2012 @ 1:45 am

Emily, I just want to verify. I should be cutting the stromboli into 6 slices and 2 of those slices are 8 points? Or am I just in a state of wishful thinking.

Please help.

• emilybites replied: — February 14th, 2012 @ 1:47 am

Nope, you cut it into 12 slices and it makes six servings (2 slices each). Hope you like it!

Krystal — March 20, 2012 @ 10:52 pm

We are making this tonight “Hawaiin Style” with crushed pineapple drained very very good instead of spinach and diced ham instead of the pepperoni! We also added onion…hopefully it turns out good!

• emilybites replied: — March 21st, 2012 @ 1:57 am

What a great idea! Let me know how it turns out!

Krystal — March 22, 2012 @ 12:10 am

Of course it was good…but I used a small can of crushed pineapple and it didn’t cover all the crust like the spinach we had last week. But overall very tasty!!

Jackie Watson — June 1, 2012 @ 3:52 pm

I use ham salami and pepperoni and provolone. I just discovered you can buy them already made in the frozen foods at Sams….but not nearly as good as ours LOL!!

Bevin McCarthy — September 4, 2013 @ 10:59 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

Lauren Post — April 2, 2014 @ 8:57 am

I might be missing something but is the 8 oz of pizza sauce supposed to be in the stomboli or is it on the side. Also I saw that there is 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning but not mention in the directions either. The stromboli was delicious and I love all of you recipes.

Ericka — September 12, 2014 @ 1:09 am

I am not sure what I did wrong, but I tried making this recipe tonight and it burned. I cooked it at 375 for 25 minutes. Has anyone else had this problem? I was also wondering what to do with the 1 tsp of Italian seasoning that was mentioned in the ingredients, but not the cooking directions.

1. Pingback: Vote Now: Best of 2011 Reader’s Choice Awards! » Emily Bites