Sep 13

Creamy Stove Top Macaroni & Cheese

I love macaroni & cheese. There is something about gooey, creamy cheese over lots of carb-y pasta that makes my mouth water. I’ve been looking for a blog-worthy macaroni and cheese recipes for a while now, but I had yet to test one that really made my taste buds jump for joy…until now. You’ve probably noticed that I often use 2% reduced fat cheeses in my recipes, but when it comes to mac & cheese it’s worth it to me to go all out and use the real thing. I’ve been working on a separate recipe for Wisconsin Cheese (coming in October!) and I bought a block of Black Diamond Vintage Reserved Aged Five Years Cheddar for it and used the leftovers in this dish. It is amazing. The more a cheddar is aged, the sharper and more flavorful it becomes. Using a cheese like this is perfect because it packs so much flavor that you can get a lot from a little.

I often hear people say that they want to use a point-friendly pasta but they just can’t get into the flavor and texture of wheat pasta (not me, I truly love all pasta). On behalf of all those people, I was really excited when Barilla asked me to try their new Piccolini “Rich in Fiber” white pastas. They sent me two boxes to try, their Mini Rotini (which is what I used here) and their Mini Penne. Both have the same WW P+ values per serving as wheat pasta, but they look, feel and taste just like traditional white pasta because they have three times the fiber as said white pasta. White pasta lovers: keep your eyes peeled because I have a Barilla Piccolini giveaway coming your way very soon!

This macaroni & cheese recipe was creamy, filling, flavorful and incredibly satisfying. It was just as easy to make as the kind you buy in the box and infinitely tastier. Now that is comfort food!

Creamy Stove Top Macaroni & Cheese

Yield: 4 (rounded ¾ cup) servings

• 2 c dry wheat macaroni OR other small-ish pasta (I used Barilla Piccolini Mini Rotini)
  • 2 c skim milk
  • 1 t salt
  • ½ t mustard powder
  • generous dash of nutmeg
  • 1 c grated cheese (Pick something strong and flavorful to maximize the taste – the better quality the cheese, the better your dish will be! I used Black Diamond Vintage Reserved Aged Five Years Cheddar Cheese)
  • 2 T + 2 t seasoned bread crumbs

1. Place the dry pasta in a colander and run it under water quickly to rinse. Let drain.
  2. In a medium saucepan, combine the uncooked pasta, milk, salt, mustard powder and nutmeg and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Make sure to stir frequently and stay near the stove during this step – milk goes from simmer to boil very quickly and can overflow if not watched! Once the mixture is simmering, turn the heat to low and cook for 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until milk is absorbed and macaroni is fully cooked.
  3. Add grated cheese and stir into pasta. Turn off burner heat and cover saucepan. Let sit for about 5 minutes.
  4. Heat a dry skillet over medium heat and add bread crumbs. Toast bread crumbs, stirring occasionally for a few minutes until browned.
  5. Split  macaroni & cheese into 4 bowls and sprinkle two teaspoons of toasted bread crumbs onto each serving. Enjoy!

9 per serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)

384 calories, 53 g carbs, 11 g fat, 19 g protein, 5 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)

adapted from White on Rice Couple

18 Responses to “Creamy Stove Top Macaroni & Cheese”

Amanda — September 13, 2011 @ 12:34 am

I don’t think I could eat 1 serving at a time. I’d like to eat it all at once! I’ll have to make this for the family. Thanks for sharing!

Ryan — September 13, 2011 @ 12:50 am

It’s pretty yummy. I actually made this tonight for my family before I even saw this post. It does take a bit of time to make, but it truly is creamy!

Anonymous — September 19, 2011 @ 1:41 pm

Can you use light cheese to cut the fat?

emilybites — September 19, 2011 @ 2:47 pm

I don’t see why not, but if you do that I recommend using 2% cheeses over fat free. Fat free cheese just doesn’t taste right. I usually use 2% cheeses in my recipes, but here where cheese is the star of the show I really wanted to get the best cheese flavor possible. It was worth it to me to have it be a little pointier.

Lori in NC — December 11, 2011 @ 12:51 am

Although I need to practice better portion control next time I make this, we’ll definitely have it again at our house. My pasta only needed 7-8 minutes to cook, not 15, and I’ll cut back on the salt next time. I used Cabot Reduced Fat Sharp Cheddar, which was pretty good. I loved that the noodles cooked in the milk – only one pan to clean. My son, who is an expert in all things mac-n-cheese, gave this high marks

emilybites — December 14, 2011 @ 9:33 pm

Any recipe that only leaves one pot to wash is a winner in my book :). Glad it was a hit!

Kathleen — January 25, 2012 @ 1:36 am

Hey Emily, could I adapt this recipe to the macaroni and cheese cups? I have a feeling that I would eat the entire pot full in one sitting if I weren’t careful!

• emilybites replied: — January 25th, 2012 @ 1:40 am

You could certainly try it! I would definitely add the egg & egg white from the other recipe to help it stay together. I haven’t actually made the mac & cheese muffins in a long time so I don’t remember how much more creamy/saucy this one is. Let me know how it works out!

Anonymous — March 7, 2012 @ 5:48 pm

Could I use almond milk instead of skim milk?

• emilybites replied: — March 9th, 2012 @ 3:44 am

I’ve never had almond milk before so I have no idea what it’s like. You can certainly try it!

Anonymous — April 2, 2012 @ 7:10 pm

I just used soy milk and it worked! So Yummy!

• emilybites replied: — April 7th, 2012 @ 9:12 pm

Good to know – thanks for sharing!

emily — September 4, 2012 @ 12:23 am

Made this tonight! So good, and so easy! I think the hardest part was grating the cheese! Thanks for the recipe!

Bev P — September 11, 2012 @ 1:00 am

I love your bites, I quit smoking a year in Jan 2013, it will be, and yes have gained weight lots. I am thinking WW for weight loss and looking at your receipes why not thank you

Bev P — September 11, 2012 @ 1:01 am

fyi i have been using coconut milk no sugar as a sub and its worked fine.

Briana — November 8, 2012 @ 12:48 pm

I just made this recipe! It was so good!

Anonymous — November 17, 2012 @ 5:50 pm

I made this recipe for me and my boyfriend last night and it was SO easy! I used Cabot Sharp Cheddar which gave the mac and cheese a subtle flavor, and I think next time I might go for the cheese you used for a bolder flavor. Thank you for sharing this!

Brook @ Just A Girl — May 5, 2014 @ 4:08 pm

I am so happy to have found your site through Pinterest! I’ve been struggling with Weight Watchers after a month of using it, and you have so many yummy Weight Watcher friendly recipes! I’m adding this to my list. Thank you!