Oct 07

Pepperoni Pizza Mini Puffs

I found this recipe a few weeks ago on Pinterest and the photos sold me right away. I actually made these for the first time last week but I was bummed because they were way overcooked. I made them again this week with a reduced oven temperature and cook time and they came out perfect! These little puffs are chock full of pepperoni and cheese. If you love pizza flavors, these will be right up your alley! The puffs come together really quickly and they’re perfect as a snack or an appetizer for anything from book club to the big game. Let me know where you choose to serve them!

Pepperoni Pizza Mini Puffs

Yield: 6 (4 puff) servings

• ¾ c white whole wheat flour
  • ¾ t baking powder
  • 1 T Italian seasoning
  • 1/8 t salt
  • 1/8 t crushed red pepper flakes
  • ¾ c skim milk
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 c reduced fat 2% shredded mozzarella cheese
  • ¼ c grated Parmesan cheese
  • 4 ½ oz sliced turkey pepperoni, quartered
  • ½ c pizza sauce (for dipping)

1. Pre-heat the oven to 350. Lightly mist a 24 count mini muffin tin with cooking spray.
  2. In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, Italian seasoning, salt and red pepper. Add the milk and egg and whisk together to thoroughly combine. Add the mozzarella, Parmesan and pepperoni and stir until combined.
  3. Divide the batter evenly amongst the prepared mini muffin tin cups. Bake in the oven for 18-22 minutes until golden. Serve with warm pizza sauce for dipping.

6 per (4 puff) serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)

208 calories, 16 g carbs, 9 g fat, 18 g protein, 2 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)

adapted from Lick the Bowl Good

33 Responses to “Pepperoni Pizza Mini Puffs”

FelixAndAva — October 7, 2011 @ 12:22 pm

Gonna need a mini muffin tin, but this looks really good.

Jennifer — October 7, 2011 @ 1:07 pm

I think I will try this for dinner tonight!!!!

Maggie — October 8, 2011 @ 12:16 pm

These look awesome! Do you think they would freeze and reheat well?

Mary Beth — October 8, 2011 @ 6:36 pm

I dont have mini muffin tins… how do you think they would do as regular muffins?

emilybites — October 9, 2011 @ 11:28 pm

You all should definitely try them!

Maggie, I definitely think they’d freeze and reheat well.

Mary Beth, sure I think that would work. You will probably have to adjust the cook time to make sure they’re cooked through all the way.

Biz — October 10, 2011 @ 4:30 pm

Holy cow, those look delicious!

As for my Buffalo Chicken Chili – it makes A LOT, like 10-12 cups. It freezes really well too!

emilybites — October 10, 2011 @ 4:35 pm

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, Biz! I am DEFINITELY making that chili. It looks amazing! I’ll of course link to you if I post it. I’m from Buffalo so naturally I am a fan of anything Buffalo chicken. I loved that you ground the chicken breasts yourself in the food processor – genius!

SisHomeMaker — October 10, 2011 @ 11:56 pm

I made these tonight in a regular muffin tin- I baked them for 20 minutes and they were perfect!! Oh my gosh were these good- and addicting!! Thank you so much for the “mini” meal recipes!! :)

FelixAndAva — October 10, 2011 @ 11:58 pm

Thanks for the info, SisHomeMaker! I only have a regular muffin tin on hand.

emilybites — October 13, 2011 @ 1:49 am

So glad to know they came out well in regular muffin tins as well – thanks for posting to let us know! :)

mmessing — October 25, 2011 @ 12:32 am

These were delicious! My husband and I both loved them. I made them during the football game yesterday! Can’t wait to try more of your recipes, this was our first!

emilybites — October 25, 2011 @ 12:36 am

So glad you loved them! Let me know what else you make :)

Becky D'Angelo-Veitch — October 29, 2011 @ 9:43 pm

Hey Emily–wanted to tell you that these are a hit so far! I am making them to take to a game night tonight, so I doubled the recipe so I’d have a few extra to bring and some to feed the kiddies for dinner tonight, and my kids (age 5 & 7) give it a thumbs up! :-)

emilybites — October 30, 2011 @ 4:28 am

Yay Becky, I’m glad the kids liked them! I home they’re a hit with the game night crowd as well :)

Jennifer — January 15, 2012 @ 3:24 pm

Thanks for the recipe- made this for a family party over the holidays and they were the first appetizer to go! Will make in a regular muffin tin for dinner- thanks for the suggestion :)

• emilybites replied: — January 15th, 2012 @ 11:03 pm

Yay, glad they were a hit! :)

KathleenP — February 26, 2012 @ 6:42 pm

Hey Emily! I made these on Friday evening in lieu of a pizza night that the rest of the family was indulging in. Boy did I indulge myself with this recipe!! I made them in a jumbo muffin tin so I could have one whole puff as a dinner with a side salad. YUMM!! I’m adapting it today with other “toppings” included. These are fantastic! Love your website and keep up the great recipes!!

• emilybites replied: — March 1st, 2012 @ 1:18 am

Oooh, a giant puff sounds awesome. This recipe is definitely easy to adapt with different toppings – let me know which ones you try! Glad these were a hit. Thanks for the comment!

Jeannine — July 22, 2012 @ 12:10 am

Absolutely delicious! A hit at my house… I’m already planning on making a double batch for Novenas in December! Thank you for sharing… I am thrilled to say that I have found what might be my new favorite cooking blog! Thank you Emily!

Vicki S — September 3, 2012 @ 7:59 pm

I’m thinking these would be great in my daughters lunch box for school. I want to get away from the typical sandwich type lunches. Thanks so much!

Vevvie Franzen — October 9, 2012 @ 2:32 am

These were great, but I only put in 1t of the Italian seasoning. That stuff is so strong, I cannot imagine what 1T would taste like.

• Anonymous replied: — November 15th, 2012 @ 11:29 pm

I followed the recipe and it tasted like seasoning city. I will take your suggestion next time!

Jane — October 14, 2012 @ 4:57 pm

Can I use white flour??

• Anonymous replied: — November 15th, 2012 @ 11:28 pm

Definitely. I used white flour and they came out fine.

Anonymous — October 28, 2012 @ 1:27 pm

Can I use regular pepperoni as I don’t care for turkey. And how much wouldthat change the points?

shelly8806 — December 17, 2012 @ 11:04 pm

I made this today with regular whole wheat flour and they were delicious! Thanks for a great recipe!

Anonymous — December 18, 2012 @ 12:36 am

Is the pizza sauce included in the calories or is that extra?

Anonymous — January 7, 2013 @ 8:38 pm

This is an AWESOME recipe…I have made it several times, great for WW. I also created other versions; one with cheddar and chopped ham, cheddar and seasoned hamburger, I even made a sweet version with peanut butter and mini chocolate chips. Possibilities are endless! Thanks so much!

Anonymous — February 4, 2013 @ 12:46 am

Thought these were a little bland, next time I’m going to omit the shredded mozzarella and try cubes of mozzarella in the middle, like a stuffed crust. Hopefully that improves these enough for me because I love the idea of mini pizza bites!

Paige Norman — February 4, 2013 @ 4:16 pm

I make these ALL THE TIME because everyone loves them! I also make cheese ones (no meat; three kinds of cheese), “Hawaiian” (Canadian Bacon with Pineapple chunks) and Sausage.

The family gobbles them up and begs for more.

Anonymous — February 11, 2013 @ 5:06 am

I made the cheeseburger ones last week while my hubby was out and they were pretty good, however, I tried these tonight (thanks to seeing a package of turkey pepperoni on sale at the store) and OMG OMG OMG I am in heaven! These will be my new go to when I am craving pizza! Just as tasty and way better than over indulging on pizza (or the leftovers). Will be trying this out on my kids next…I think they will be surprised at how good they are!

1. Pingback: Best of 2011 Reader's Choice Award Winners » Emily Bites