Cheesy Taco Pasta
Oh. My. Goodness. I was pretty optimistic about this recipe to begin with but it still managed to exceed my expectations. To me, this Cheesy Taco Pasta is the perfect comfort food: cheesy, beefy pasta with taco flavoring and juicy salsa vegetables. It tastes like a guilty pleasure but you don’t even have to feel guilty after! If you’ve been following my blog for a while you may know that I love my cheddar cheese as sharp as possible, so I decided to go half and half with the 2% and full fat shredded cheeses to maximize the flavor while still keeping it P+ friendly. I am happy to report that it resulted in a perfectly decadent cheesy flavor. This recipe is extremely simple with virtually no prep time and I can’t say enough about how warm, cheesy, comforting and indulgent it tastes. Drop what you’re doing and make this right now! You won’t be disappointed.
Cheesy Taco Pasta
Yield: 6 (1 rounded cup) servings
- 8 oz wheat pasta (I used Barilla medium shells)
- 1 lb 95% lean ground beef*
- 1 oz packet reduced sodium taco seasoning
- 1 ½ cups chunky salsa
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup fat free sour cream
- ¾ cup shredded 2 % reduced fat cheddar cheese
- ¾ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (I used extra sharp)
- Salt & pepper to taste
*if you replace the ground beef with 99% lean ground turkey, a serving will be 8 SP on WW Freestyle
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- While pasta is cooking, place ground beef in a large sauté pan and cook over medium-high heat, breaking up the beef as it cooks. When the beef is cooked, drain any grease from pan. Add the taco seasoning, salsa and water and reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes or until pasta is done cooking.
- Once pasta is done, drain pasta and add it to the beef mixture. Add the sour cream, cheese, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Cheese will melt when thoroughly mixed. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints:
10 per serving (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
9 per serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
376 calories, 37 g carbs, 5 g sugars, 13 g fat, 6 g saturated fat, 29 g protein, 6 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
Adapted from Lauren’s Latest