Buffalo Chicken “Cupcakes”
Are you thinking what I’m thinking? Based on all the comments, suggestions and recommendations I’ve received to make these I’m assuming you are…”what took her so long?” A few months back I went “main course muffin/cupcake” crazy and made Taco Cupcakes, Cheeseburger Cupcakes, Lasagna Cupcakes, Meatloaf Muffins and Mac & Cheese Muffins. I loved them, you loved them, it was great. I started getting a little worried though. I didn’t want to overdo it and have everyone get sick of them. Too much of a good thing and all. So I cooled it on the wonton wrappers for a bit. I still managed to squeeze some Sausage, Egg & Cheese Hash Brown Cups and Mini Spinach & Artichoke Bread Bowls in. All this time though, I’ve kept these Buffalo Chicken “Cupcakes” on my mental to-do list, biding their time until I decided to stage a wonton comeback.
Now is that time.
These were totally worth the wait, but as soon as I took a bite I immediately thought “OMG these are SO good, I should have made these months ago!” So…maybe I over-think things. Sorry this took me so long. I really love my Taco Cupcakes, but these are giving them a run for their money as my favorite. There is no chance anyone eating these would peg them as light. They pack a ton of cheesy, spicy Buffalo chicken flavor. If you love Buffalo chicken, don’t wait as long as I did to make these. Now is the perfect time!
*For more information or to convert this recipe to mini-muffin sized appetizers, visit the Wonton “Cupcakes” section of my FAQs page!*
Buffalo Chicken "Cupcakes"
Yield: 8 cupcakes
- 2 c cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, chopped up small
- 4 Laughing Cow Blue Cheese wedges, chopped
- 3 T Buffalo wing sauce (I used Anchor Bar brand)
- ½ a celery stalk, chopped small
- 16 wonton wrappers (typically found in the produce section)
- 4 oz (1 cup) reduced fat 2% shredded cheddar cheese
- Pre-heat the oven to 375. Lightly mist 8 cups in a muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a microwavable bowl, combine the chicken, cheese wedges and wing sauce. Microwave for 1 1/2 minutes on high. Stir to combine until chicken mixture is fully coated with cheese and wing sauce. Stir in the chopped celery pieces.
- Push a wonton wrapper into the bottom of each of the eight sprayed cups in the muffin tin. Using about half of the chicken mixture, spoon evenly into the wonton wrappers. Sprinkle about half the cheddar cheese evenly over the top of each cup. Press another wonton wrapper on top and repeat the layering steps with the remaining ingredients.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until golden brown. Let cool 5 minutes before removing from muffin tin.
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
4 per cupcake (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
149 calories, 9 g carbs, 5 g fat, 16 g protein, 0 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
An Emily Bites Original