Jan 07

French Dip “Cupcakes”

I make a lot of lists as a food blogger. Currently my “up next” list, where I index the next few recipes I’d like to make, has 53 ideas on it. That should keep me busy for a while on its own, but it grows every day as I think of something new or see something I want to adapt. If only I was a full time food blogger…*daydreams*. The list is getting so long that I actually implemented a color coded system to determine the order in which I plan to make each recipe. The great thing about this is that I really love making lists. The funny thing is that I rarely stick to them. For instance, French Dip Wonton Cupcakes did not appear on my list until a couple days ago when I saw French Dip sliders on a menu. My cravings tend to supersede any and all organizational systems I put in place, so as you can see, these were bumped up 53 spots, straight to the top.

These “cupcakes” definitely satisfied my French Dip craving. Piles of thinly sliced roast beef, smothered in Au Jus gravy and cheese and nestled in a perfect little wonton cup? Yes, please! The other great thing about this recipe is that it takes almost no time to put together, so it’s a great idea for weeknights when you don’t really feel like cooking.

French Dip "Cupcakes"

Yield: 8 cupcakes

• 12 oz deli roast beef, thinly sliced and chopped into pieces (I used my store brand’s 96% fat free kind)
  • 4 Laughing Cow Light Swiss wedges, chopped
  • 1/3 c Au Jus gravy (I used Heinz which comes in a jar by the other gravy)
  • 16 wonton wrappers (typically found in the produce section)
  • 4 oz (1 cup) reduced fat 2% shredded mozzarella cheese

1. Pre-heat the oven to 375. Lightly mist 8 cups in a muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside.
  2. In a microwavable bowl, combine the roast beef, cheese wedges and Au Jus sauce. Microwave for 2 minutes on high. Stir to combine until cheese wedges are melted and roast beef mixture is fully coated with cheese and Au Jus sauce.
  3. Push a wonton wrapper into the bottom of each of the eight sprayed cups in the muffin tin. Spoon about half of the roast beef mixture evenly amongst the wonton wrappers. Sprinkle about half the mozzarella cheese evenly over the top of each cup. Press another wonton wrapper on top and repeat the layering steps with the remaining ingredients.
  4. Bake for 18-20 minutes until golden brown. Let cool 5 minutes before removing from muffin tin.

4 per cupcakes (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)

129 calories, 8 g carbs, 4 g fat, 14 g protein, 0 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)

An Emily Bites Original

164 Responses to “French Dip “Cupcakes””

Cindy — January 7, 2012 @ 8:21 pm

I just found your blog and I am so glad I did! I am always looking for quick, easy, and healthy recipes! I have been on WW P+ since March and I am thrilled that you included the P+ value in the recipe!!! I will surely try these very soon!

emilybites — January 7, 2012 @ 10:04 pm

Thanks Cindy, I’m so glad you found me too! Let me know what you end up trying and how it turns out! :)

KristaD — January 7, 2012 @ 10:22 pm

These look AMAZING!! I love french dips…. cant wait to try these!

Lisa — January 8, 2012 @ 7:15 am

Made these for dinner tonight! They were soo good!!! I have to figure out how to get the whole wonton crispy for next time.

• Lindsay A. replied: — October 7th, 2012 @ 5:13 am

Bake the wontons for a few mins before filling them.

• Lindsay A. replied: — October 7th, 2012 @ 5:17 am

Bake the wontons for a few mins before filling them.

Emma — January 9, 2012 @ 1:47 am

Delicious – tasted just like a french dip! This was the recipe that finally convinced me to buy wonton wrappers and start cooking my way through your cupcake recipes, and it definitely did not disappoint. Thanks!!

emilybites — January 9, 2012 @ 1:49 am

So glad you liked them!

Amanda — January 9, 2012 @ 8:31 pm

OMG those look amazing. I love love love french dips so these are perfect for me. Thank you!

Lisa @ The Cooking Bride — January 9, 2012 @ 9:44 pm

Ooo, these would be great for a Super Bowl party! Something different than the same ol’ rotel dip and chips.

KristaD — January 10, 2012 @ 1:12 am

My grocery store deli was out of roast beef so I used Oscar Meyer Delifresh French Dip Flavored Roast Beef. It turned out really good! I also used Fat free Moz. cheese….. I am going to make these again and again!!

Vicki Cooke — January 10, 2012 @ 6:26 am

I just made these for my family tonight and they told me to keep this recipe they want it a lot

emilybites — January 11, 2012 @ 1:03 am

Amanda – let me know what you think!

Lisa – they’d be perfect for the Super Bowl. Great idea!

Krista – So glad they turned out great!

Vicki – it’s always nice to hear the whole family liked them. Happy to hear they were a hit!

Richard — January 14, 2012 @ 11:12 pm

Great idea! I made this tonight but gave it a Beef on Weck twist. I swapped horseradish for the cheese, then sprinkled the top with kosher salt and caraway seeds for “Beef on Wonton”.
    Picture – http://www.flickr.com/photos/rssloan/6697480461/in/photostream/

emilybites — January 14, 2012 @ 11:20 pm

Richard – I love it, those look awesome! Great idea. Charlie the Butcher’s has nothing on you ;)

Kayla — January 15, 2012 @ 10:42 pm

I have sort of a dumb question… I just made these and they tasted really salty. I am thinking it was the Au Jus I used (I couldn’t find the exact type you were talking about) and I’m pretty sure it was concentrate. Should I have diluted it before putting it in the mixture?

• emilybites replied: — January 15th, 2012 @ 11:01 pm

It’s really impossible for me to say since we didn’t use the same brand and I’m not familiar with whichever one you did use. The only advice I can really give is to try diluting it next time or to try a different brand. Sorry I can’t offer more help!

• Kayla replied: — January 15th, 2012 @ 11:16 pm

No problem! Do you use the brand you buy straight from the jar? I will just look for that one next time :) Love your recipes.

• emilybites replied: — January 15th, 2012 @ 11:19 pm

Yup! I used mine right out of the jar. Thanks :)

• krisyonko replied: — January 16th, 2012 @ 6:24 pm

Wow, Kayla, I just logged on to make the same comment/ask the same question. I used the packet of au jus, and instead of mixing the whole packet, I tried mixing just a little bit with water. I’m guessing that’s why mine came out saltier than I expected as well. Next time (for there will be a next time–even salty, these were yummy!) I’ll add more water to the au jus mix or buy the jarred stuff.

Can’t wait to try more “cupcake” recipes from Emily’s site!

• Anonymous replied: — March 14th, 2012 @ 2:09 am

I had the same issue tonight- I made the au jus from the packet because they didn’t have the kind in the jar at the store. I made the whole package and from the small amount I used they did taste super salty. They were still awesome though… I will definitely make these a lot, although I’ll be hunting for the jarred gravy for in the future. Thanks Emily!

Michelle — January 18, 2012 @ 10:10 pm

I made these for dinner last night and they were really yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

• emilybites replied: — January 19th, 2012 @ 2:00 am

Glad you liked them!

TiAnna — January 23, 2012 @ 1:18 am

Made these for lunch today. We used laughing cow garlic herb cheese wedges, because our store was out of swiss. Was SIMPLY AMAZING!!! Just found your blog today and I am a huge fan already. All the foods we love but healthier versions and easy to make as well. Thank you, thank you!!

• emilybites replied: — January 24th, 2012 @ 3:47 am

Thanks TiAnna!! So glad you found my blog and that the “cupcakes” were a big hit!

Tina — January 24, 2012 @ 2:55 am

I made these today for dinner and they were absolutely amazing. I had 2 and they were filling. Maybe next time I’ll add a little bit of horseradish!

• emilybites replied: — January 24th, 2012 @ 3:47 am

Yum, sounds delish! Happy to hear you loved them!

The Fat Girl Inside — January 26, 2012 @ 9:47 pm

Emily…I have recently found your website and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. My husband and I both need to lose at least 100 lbs/ea and we struggle with dieting (struggle is not the word). So far we have made 2 of your recipes….the french dip and the meatloaf cupcakes and they were AMAZING! It makes dieting feel like we aren’t dieting at all. I can’t wait to try the tamale bake as it sounds like a dish I would take on a deserted island if I could only take 1 meal. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for posting these wonderful recipes. Because of your inspiration with the wonton wrappers tonight I am going to do my own little twist and make cupcake eggrolls. Hope they come out as good as your recipes.

• emilybites replied: — January 27th, 2012 @ 1:03 am

Thank you so much for your comment! “It makes dieting feel like we aren’t dieting at all.” <—that is exactly what I’m going for, so it means a lot to have you say that. I really love food and I never want to live a life where I’m not eating foods I enjoy and looking forward to my meals. I’m just so happy I can do all that and lose weight! I hope you are never stranded on a deserted island but if you ever are, I hope you have an endless supply of Chicken Tamale Bake. :)

PS – I think egg roll ingredients would be naturally fabulous as a wonton cupcake! I am sure they’ll be delicious. Let me know!

• The Fat Girl Inside replied: — February 2nd, 2012 @ 4:33 pm

Thanks Emily. I did try the Chicken Tamale bake this week and it was wonderful! I actually brought leftovers for lunch today and am really looking forward to noon. I also wanted to let you know I did do “cupcake eggrolls” and they were delicious! They are very low in points (I think only 1 pt, 2 with a small amount of sweet and sour sauce). Something I will keep handy for snack time…even though I will say they didn’t reheat as well as they were when fresh. Can’t wait for more recipes = ) Getting my superbowl receipes together from your site as well. Pizza bites and bacon cheese potato bites (can’t remember the exact name of those) but looking forward to both for the big game.

• emilybites replied: — February 3rd, 2012 @ 1:19 am

Yum, the egg rolls sound delicious! I hope the super bowl recipes are a hit! :)

Unknown — January 26, 2012 @ 10:02 pm

THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOOO Much for all the great recipes. Everyone I talk to about WW I let them know about your site!!!

• emilybites replied: — January 27th, 2012 @ 1:04 am

Thanks so much! I’m happy to hear you’re loving my site :)

Unknown — January 27, 2012 @ 2:35 am

Would these freeze ok?

• emilybites replied: — January 28th, 2012 @ 1:30 am

I didn’t freeze them personally but I’ve received tons of feedback from readers that my wonton “cupcakes” all freeze great. :)

Unknown — January 28, 2012 @ 2:15 am

thank you!!

amyred3 — January 28, 2012 @ 11:02 pm

I want to make these for dinner this week but not sure what to serve with them. Any ideas?

• emilybites replied: — January 29th, 2012 @ 1:24 am

I think some roasted asparagus would be fab with these, but you could also do a salad or some coleslaw. I think any of those would be a great complement!

• The Fat Girl Inside replied: — February 2nd, 2012 @ 4:37 pm

I made “oven fries” with mine. You just take a small to medium potato cut into strips, season with salt, pepper, paprika, and I like a little spice so I add a few red pepper flakes. Then spray a little pam over them and bake around 400 for 20-25 min (turning about 5 min before they are done). I try to add some green beans or a salad to it so I get a few green veggies in. Emily’s suggestion is much more healthy than mine but I like fries with my sandwiches and this is a way to get the best of both worlds if I have the points left.

Kelly | Eat Yourself Skinny — January 29, 2012 @ 12:36 am

These look SO amazing!! Thanks for linking up so I could find this recipe, I’ll definitely be making this in the future! :)

• emilybites replied: — January 29th, 2012 @ 1:25 am

Thanks Kelly! You definitely should, they were delicious and super easy to make. I hope you like them!

RSmith — February 4, 2012 @ 6:22 pm

My 10 yr old daughter has cystic fibrosis and needs a high protein, high calorie diet. I’m always looking for stuff to get her to eat more. She LOVES french dips but never eats the bread. I’m going to try to adapt this a bit for her with full fat roast beef and cheese. I think she’ll love it. She’s drooling over the picture

• emilybites replied: — February 5th, 2012 @ 1:41 am

Let me know how she likes them! I’m glad it’s easy for you to adapt them for your daughter’s diet. :)

• RSmith replied: — February 12th, 2012 @ 6:48 am

Follow up: HUGE HUGE hit. She loved them and we’re making more tomorrow.

Anonymous — February 7, 2012 @ 8:15 pm

Hi Emily!

Absolutely love love love your blog!!! Made these last night and plan on eating them again tonight. What do you think would be the best way to reheat?

Thanks so much for all the great recipes!

• emilybites replied: — February 7th, 2012 @ 11:28 pm

I always just microwave mine and I think they turn out great, but you could also always warm them up in the oven on a lower temperature.

Krys — February 9, 2012 @ 3:44 pm

I made these on Super Bowl Sunday – absolutely delicious!! I made 2 batches because we devoured the first 8 cupcakes in minutes! One question – on both batches, the wontons were not crispy on the bottom and sides, they felt soggy. Any suggestions on how to get them to crisp up? Did I put too much spray on the muffin pan perhaps? I tried to use less spray on the 2nd batch but they still turned out soggy. I want to make them again for dinner tonight, do you think they will stick to the pan if I don’t use any spray at all?

• emilybites replied: — February 9th, 2012 @ 4:08 pm

Glad they were a hit, Krys! They’re not supposed to get crispy on the bottom and sides, actually. I wouldn’t say mine have ever been “soggy” but the tops of the wontons that stick out of the cups are the only parts that get crispy.

Linda — February 18, 2012 @ 7:08 am

I came to your blog via pintrest and I dont even know where to start! I want to make everything I see. I am on a weight loss mission and this is just what I have been looking for. Thank you so much for sharing your recipes with the internet world so I could find you and them!

• emilybites replied: — February 19th, 2012 @ 2:06 am

Thanks, Linda! I’m glad you found me. Let me know what you make!

Anonymous — February 21, 2012 @ 4:26 pm

Made these last night and we loved them!! So easy to make and really tasty. I thought they were on the salty side but I think if I water down the gravy a little, that would take care of the issue. Keep it up with the great recipes!

• emilybites replied: — February 21st, 2012 @ 8:03 pm

Glad you loved them! :)

Katie — February 27, 2012 @ 1:53 am

I made these tonight…awesomesauce!!! I plan to make the cheeseburger cupacakes this week with the extra wontons! Thank you! And thanks for doing GREAT foor with WW pts!

• emilybites replied: — March 1st, 2012 @ 12:53 am

Thanks, Katie!! Happy to hear you loved these. I hope the cheeseburger ones turn out just as good!

Jen — February 27, 2012 @ 3:59 am

I’ve made these twice. The frist time I used the jar gravy and they were awesome. The second time I went to a differant grocery store and all they had was the can gravy. I noticed a huge differance in the salt level. I will be stocking up on the jar gravy!

• emilybites replied: — March 1st, 2012 @ 12:54 am

Good to know! I’ve only used the jar gravy and they turned out great. Glad you liked them!

Laura — February 29, 2012 @ 2:39 am

I made these tonight and they were amazing. I also made the spaghetti cups which I haven’t tried yet and the chicken tamale bake (for the 2nd time). I plan on making the deep dish pizza and another wonton cup recipe tomorrow to hopefully keep us set for dinners for the next week or so! As always, thank you for your blog it has really helped us stick to our WW plan!

• emilybites replied: — March 1st, 2012 @ 12:55 am

You’re cooking up a storm, Laura! I love it. Glad these were a hit and I hope everything else is too. Thanks for your comment!

Brittanyjean — March 1, 2012 @ 5:26 pm

Do you mind if I share your recipes on my blog? I have tried a couple and are so yummy!!

• emilybites replied: — March 3rd, 2012 @ 7:15 pm

Glad you’re enjoying the recipes, Brittany! If you do share a recipe from my site you’ll need to include a direct link to the recipe on my blog and be sure to clearly site me as the recipe source. You’ll also need to take your own photos and rewrite the recipe instructions and any ingredient notes in your own words. If you have any questions, shoot me an email at emilybitesblog@gmail.com. Thanks!

Laura — March 2, 2012 @ 4:40 pm

Everything has been amazing and so filling. I have tried it all except the deep dish pizza casserole which I will probably try tonight. It’s nice having options and they are all filling and reasonable points. My husband has loved everything and says he feels like he is eating too much because they are filling but he is sitll loosing weight. Thank you for all these recipes!

• emilybites replied: — March 3rd, 2012 @ 7:16 pm

Thanks. Laura! I’m so glad you and your husband are both enjoying the recipes. :)

Anonymous — March 6, 2012 @ 7:04 am

I just found your recipes and I can’t wait to try them. Love that you include the calorie count. Thanks

• emilybites replied: — March 7th, 2012 @ 1:49 am

Thanks, I hope you enjoy them! Let me know :)

LMBLask — March 11, 2012 @ 11:43 pm

Made these tonight. OMG!!!! Chopped meat in mini chopper, used “Johnny’s Au Jus” and added some chopped onion. Omg. Sooooo good. Have tried quite a few recipes from Skinnytaste.com and this site and this recipe is hands down the best so far

• emilybites replied: — March 12th, 2012 @ 2:31 am

I’m so glad you loved them so much! :) Skinnytaste is a great site too. Thanks for the compliment. Enjoy!

siegereads — March 16, 2012 @ 4:21 pm

I made these last night, and they were AMAZING! I think my muffin tin might be slightly smaller than yours (I got enough for 12 cupcakes) and every single one was DELICIOUS! Boyfriend managed to scarf down six, then demand we have these again soon. Thank you!

Have you considered a “corned beef and cabbage (or potatoes)” option for St. Patrick’s day?

• emilybites replied: — March 18th, 2012 @ 3:47 pm

Haha, I am so glad these were such a big hit with you and your boyfriend!

I didn’t plan ahead well enough to do any St. Patrick’s Day recipes this year but I did get several requests for them the day before/day of, so next year I will definitely put some together!

Anonymous — March 20, 2012 @ 5:42 pm

These are so incredible!!! I will be making these often from now on since my hubby and I are both huge fans of French dip sandwiches and these are so easy to make. I couldn’t find a jar of au jus gravy so I just got a packet mix and only made half of it (still way too much, but I’m going to make these again next week so it’s ok with me!).

• emilybites replied: — March 20th, 2012 @ 5:52 pm

Yay, I am so glad these were a hit! Thanks for letting me know you loved them :)

Anonymous — March 20, 2012 @ 10:53 pm

Do you think that these would hold up on a reheat in the microwave? I was thinking that they would be a good after school snack alternative. What are your thoughts?

• emilybites replied: — March 21st, 2012 @ 1:55 am

I always microwave my leftovers and I think they taste great! :)

Chulalula — March 22, 2012 @ 2:11 am

Emily, I don’t usually post feedback, but I am tonight. I made these, French Dip Cupcakes, for dinner tonight. They were great. I admit I was pleasantly surprised how tasty they were, and how easy it was to prepare. I fixed a salad to go with the “cupcakes” and I feel very satisfied. Thank you for your ideas; I am going to make the Spinach Cupcakes tomorrow.
    Sherri
    :-)

• emilybites replied: — March 26th, 2012 @ 11:32 pm

I’m so glad you decided to post, Sherri! Happy to hear these were such a hit. Hope the spinach dip ones are good too! :)

Betsy — March 26, 2012 @ 10:30 pm

These are awesome!!! I’ve made them twice now and they’re becoming part of my regular dinner rotation! So easy! My only complaint? It’s really hard to stop at just 2!! LOL!

• emilybites replied: — March 26th, 2012 @ 11:33 pm

Yay, I am so happy you love them so much! Thanks for letting me know ;)

Our3Luvs — March 27, 2012 @ 7:59 pm

Emily, I love that someone “pinned” you on Pinterest! I have been expermenting with wonton’s a lot lately because I found out they were so low in points. I’ve lost 94 pounds on weight watchers so far since September 2011 and I am always in search of healthy recipes that squash those comfort food cravings and it looks like you have covered all the bases for those! Thank you so much for posting these amazing recipes!

• emilybites replied: — March 30th, 2012 @ 10:42 pm

WOW, congrats on your WW success!! That’s so exciting and inspiring. You must feel amazing! I’m so glad you found me and that you’re enjoying my site. Let me know what you end up making! :)

Holly Lolly Candy Buffet — March 30, 2012 @ 12:21 am

I made these for dinner tonight and they were OMG soo good! My 7 year old picky eater loved them, so I know they are awesome! I love your site, I cant wait to make more “cupcakes”.

• emilybites replied: — March 30th, 2012 @ 10:42 pm

Thanks! I’m so glad to hear these were a hit. :)

Anonymous — April 3, 2012 @ 3:21 pm

I have made several of you “cupcake” meals and have not found a one that wasn’t great tasting. We love them all and doesn’t feel like you are dieting either. Grandchildren think the “cupcakes” are great and so healthy for them and easy to make. Love that you include ww points also. Keep the new ones coming and I’ll keep trying them. Thanks

• emilybites replied: — April 7th, 2012 @ 7:23 pm

I’m so glad you and your family are loving the “cupcakes!” Thanks for letting me know :)

Anonymous — April 3, 2012 @ 11:16 pm

Wondering if I could omit the second layer of wonton wrapper to cut the carbs a bit? I had WLS last year and I find breads, pastas, etc. fill me up too quickly – have you had any experience doing just the bottom wonton wrapper and not the middle layer?

• emilybites replied: — April 7th, 2012 @ 7:24 pm

You may want to reduce the filling if you do it that way. I have done single layer ones, but I did them in a mini muffin tin. Let me know how they turn out!

Tara720 — April 7, 2012 @ 12:57 am

My boyfriend just requested roast beef au jus, and I was trying to figure out a way to lighten it up and then I stumbled onto your blog. Can’t wait to try these!

• emilybites replied: — April 7th, 2012 @ 7:24 pm

I hope these are a hit! Let me know how they turn out :)

Marikay — April 13, 2012 @ 12:12 am

Amazing! These were so good, I could have eaten all of them myself (but I didn’t)! Thanks so much for another great dish!!!!

• emilybites replied: — April 17th, 2012 @ 7:36 pm

Thank you! I’m glad you loved these :)

tanya — April 17, 2012 @ 9:48 pm

have to try
    thankx

• emilybites replied: — April 24th, 2012 @ 1:13 am

Let me know what you think!

tanya — April 17, 2012 @ 9:49 pm

thankx alotttt

Anonymous — April 23, 2012 @ 11:19 pm

1st recipe I’ve made of yours and we LOVED it – looking forward to trying many more!

PS – Made 8 cupcakes but added some leftover sauteed onions and tri-color peppers to 1/2 of them. Went from a French Dip flavor to Philly Cheese Steak flavor *snaps* just like that! Had one of each for dinner and had to pack them away so I didn’t eat my leftovers!

- Cat

• emilybites replied: — April 24th, 2012 @ 1:14 am

Yay, I’m so glad you loved these! The Philly ones sounds yummy too :)

Cher — April 24, 2012 @ 1:30 am

How smart! Wonton wrappers are so versatile! I usually fill my wonton cups with salsa. I’ve got to give this recipe a try. Thank you so much for creating this!
    -Cher

• emilybites replied: — April 24th, 2012 @ 2:03 am

I hope you love them, Cher! Let me know what you think :)

Anonymous — April 24, 2012 @ 8:29 pm

just made these and my boys keep telling me how good they are. cant wait to try more recipes!!

• emilybites replied: — April 27th, 2012 @ 12:22 am

Hooray! Happy to hear they were a hit :)

Sarah — April 27, 2012 @ 3:45 am

We made these and the Buffalo Chicken. I normally don’t like french dips but the french dip was the winner! They were delicious. I wish I had only eaten two, but…..

• emilybites replied: — May 24th, 2012 @ 12:25 am

Haha, that’s the tough part. Glad you loved these!

Jessie Thornton — May 8, 2012 @ 6:44 pm

I just made these and they were amazing!!!! I can’t get enough of these “cupcakes” recipes!!!!

• emilybites replied: — May 24th, 2012 @ 12:26 am

Yay! I’m so happy you loved them :)

Grisewood — May 15, 2012 @ 3:32 pm

I made this the first time and the kids LOVED them. A while later- I decided my kids needed a life lesson – and a learning experience in the kitchen – so I picked this recipe for them- not a lot of ingredients and easy to assemble with a 7 and 10 year old. They were so excited to make their own dinner and loved it even more because of that.

• emilybites replied: — May 24th, 2012 @ 12:27 am

That’s so awesome!! This is a perfect recipe to make with your kids. I bet they felt so accomplished :). Glad to hear these were a big hit!

Crisha Ware — May 16, 2012 @ 11:58 am

I am planning on making these tonight but I had a question on the gravy. Is the Heinz Gravy actually Au Jus or is it the Beef Gravy. I didnt see it if it is the Au Jus and just wanted to make sure if I needed to check out another store.

Thanks in advance

Crisha

• Crisha replied: — May 17th, 2012 @ 12:42 am

I found the Au Jus gravy and OMG these are great. Thanks for the great receipe!

• emilybites replied: — May 24th, 2012 @ 12:28 am

Glad you found it and loved them! Sorry I didn’t get you an answer the same day – my life is nuts this month! :)

beckkotsch — May 23, 2012 @ 11:54 pm

SO good! I’m excited to make more “cupcake” recipes now!

• emilybites replied: — May 24th, 2012 @ 12:29 am

Woohoo! Happy to hear you loved these. Let me know what other ones you try! :)

Chris — June 6, 2012 @ 1:11 am

These are great! My husband said they remind him of Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches. I think I might try sauteing bell peppers and onion & layering them with the rest of the ingredients.

I love your recipes …Next, I’m trying the Taco “Cupcakes”

…keep em coming!

Chris — June 6, 2012 @ 1:12 am

Hey Emily, how do I add my picture?

Amanda Kunkel-Beech — June 16, 2012 @ 1:07 am

Emily – AMAZING! We made these for dinner tonight and even my picky eater liked them! We used Johnny’s Au Jus since our store doesn’t carry Heinz. I pre-cooked the wonton wrappers in the muffin cups to give the edges and bottom a crispy texture. And I only had 1 layer. I will defintely be making these again. Tomorrow night I am trying a Philly Cheesesteak with peppers and onion spin on this recipe.
    Please keep your cupcake recipes coming!

Christa — June 21, 2012 @ 1:30 am

I am new to the WW world and I am so glad I found your blog! I made these tonight and they were amazing! (I also noticed that you are in Buffalo – I live in Buffalo, too!)

Karen Webster — July 30, 2012 @ 7:48 pm

Thank you SO MUCH for saying where to find wonton wrappers. I have walked miles through several stores looking for them (but never in the produce section). Looking forward to trying these. :)

• Lorrie replied: — January 24th, 2013 @ 4:42 am

Basketlorrie
      Really love the Veggie Lasagna cups anxious to try these. Was wondering
      can you freeze the leftover wrappers and defrost and make another receipe? Or how long will they keep there’s lots in a pkg.

Katie (curlycupcake) — August 8, 2012 @ 12:56 am

Emily, once again you’ve outdone yourself! I had these for dinner tonight and they were so good! I actually made them last night for and they reheated really well.

Anonymous — August 13, 2012 @ 12:06 am

Sorry if I missed it, but what size muffin tins are you using?

Thanks!

Sam @ reddyorknot.blogspot.com — August 13, 2012 @ 11:49 pm

I swear you never cease to amaze me. Made these for dinner tonight and oh my gosh are they delicious!!

Courtney Brayson — August 24, 2012 @ 3:43 am

Made these tonight and they were amazing. Thanks for another great recipe!!

Anonymous — September 4, 2012 @ 1:19 pm

Hi, we are in Australia and i can not find Au Jus sauce? What do you suggest to use as a subsitute?
    Thanks

KimberlyO — September 5, 2012 @ 11:56 pm

These were SO good!! My husband loved them! :) Easy, tastes good, and healthy!! What more could a person ask for?! Thank you for your fabulous recipes.

Chris — September 12, 2012 @ 8:44 pm

Hi Emily. I used the WW food tracker to add these to my favorites, and using the nutrition information, the PointsPlus value is 3 per muffin, not 4. That’s even better! Also, I made them last night and added sauted onion and green bell peppers …they were delicious! Thanks again for all of your amazing recipes

Anonymous — September 21, 2012 @ 2:46 am

These were delicious. I will definately be making these again! I couldn’t find the au jus sauce either so I tried to think of something similar and I came up with a combination of beef gravy diluted with beef broth. It worked out great and tasted delicious.

Anonymous — September 23, 2012 @ 1:46 am

made these tonight for dinner and they were a hit. I also found them a bit salty (used the same gravy the reciped called for). may cut back on the amount. To me french dip also includes saute onions so I carmelized some onions ahead of time and added them in between the 2 layers instead of the mozzarella and put all the cheese on top. will be trying the hawaiian chicken cupcakes later in the week to use up the rest of the wonton wrappers.

Allison — September 23, 2012 @ 11:51 pm

I hope this question was not already asked….the bottom layer is a wonton and the middle layer too. Are you topping the cupcake off with a wonton or is the top layer mozz cheese?
    Thanks for the clarification

Jennifer Lissak — September 24, 2012 @ 11:46 pm

Just made these tonight – my husband said this was the best new recipe for a while. Definitely going in the keeper list!

Mel — September 29, 2012 @ 7:36 pm

WOW! made this for my daughter and I for lunch today. It was delicious! Thanks for all these great recipes!

Anonymous — October 11, 2012 @ 11:16 pm

Someone told me about your site and this is the first thing I have tried…I have to say that I will be trying many more or your things cuase these were great. Very delicious. Cant wait to try out more of your receipes.

Elizabeth — November 19, 2012 @ 10:26 pm

I also couldn’t find the Heinz Au Jus in the jar. I instead made the seasoning packet of au jus, but added extra water to cut the salt and added flour to thicken it up. Worked like a charm! These were delicious.. will definitely make them again. Thanks Emily!

March Into Paris — November 20, 2012 @ 5:55 pm

I made these last night and my fiance went nuts! He first warned me not to feel bad if he doesn’t like them because he has such picky taste when it comes to anything with roast beef and only likes Arby’s roast beef. Well once he tried one of these cupcakes- he ate 3 of them and was in complete awe of how amazing they were! I’m like super woman now for cooking them! THANK YOU!

Jennifer Lissak — December 1, 2012 @ 9:08 pm

I have a question about the points – you wrote 4 oz/1 cup.. but 1 cup is 8 oz. Which are the points for?

• emilybites replied: — December 1st, 2012 @ 9:20 pm

1 cup of cheese = 4 oz by weight. You are talking about volume ounces which is not what cheese is measured by. Either weight out 4 oz or measure out 1 cup. Hope that helps!

Cheryl — December 12, 2012 @ 8:13 pm

I just found your site and am excited to try your recipes – they look great! Just a quick silly question… Do you tend to eat these by themselves or do you serve it with a side? I’m always having problems trying to figure out what to serve along side these type of dishes for a healthy well balanced meal.

Anonymous — December 15, 2012 @ 9:36 pm

regular or mini muffin tin ?

Anonymous — December 19, 2012 @ 11:38 pm

Can you do something like this with a reuben sandwich? I was thinking that would be perfect to bring to a tailgait party :)

The Invite Lady — December 28, 2012 @ 8:41 pm

Made these last week with Boar’s Head London Broil Roast Beef (did not affect PP Value). Made with a chopped salad on the side. Wow, they are delicious! My whole family loved them – which rarely happens!

Kathryn — January 10, 2013 @ 5:14 am

I am SUPER excited to make these and I don’t even like roast beef! As I drooled over the picture, I thought some onions might also be a yummy addition to mix in with the meat!

Kris — January 13, 2013 @ 4:33 pm

Made these last week and they were amazing! Will be making again – this time will try the meat mixture on a roll for a “gotta get to softball training by 6 pm” meal.

I use so many of your recipes my friend calls me “The Queen of Emily Bites”

Anonymous — January 15, 2013 @ 5:27 pm

Can any or all of your “muffin” recipes be frozen? Any suggestions on how to do that?

Meghan — January 23, 2013 @ 2:42 pm

I was a little hesitant as I was microwaving everything together, but just as the other reviewers commented, these were delicious! I used the leftover wonton wrappers the next day and substituted the roast beef for ham, the mozzarella for sharp cheddar and the Au jus for melted butter and brown sugar, and they were so delicious that my boyfriend ate nine in one sitting (I could only eat two bc they were so rich!). This is the fourth or fifth recipe of yours I’ve tried and they’ve all been great!

Bev Pasquariello — January 26, 2013 @ 11:40 pm

I made them, did like them but too much dough well Emily realized why w.a.i.t for it….duh i bought EGGROLL WRAPERS not wonton wrappers haha. Will try again thats why i felt i need ed to cut them down etc. jeeezzzzz.

Tina Jordan — January 30, 2013 @ 9:22 pm

Wow! What a hit! Thumbs up from the hubby, 7 & 5 years olds. Not only was is easy – but they turned out looking just like the ones in the picture – and that NEVER happens. ;) I used the garlic herb Laughing Cow cheese as someone mentioned in another reply and it was super yummy. I also always have a supply of pre-sauteed mushrooms, red peppers, onions, garlic and fresh herbs (like oregano or basil) in the fridge to enhance eggs or other dishes throughout the week. (I just make a big batch on Sunday and it keeps in fridge all week). It has 0 points and i added a little scoop to the middle of my cupcakes and it really added something special. I have been instructed by the family that we need to have “cupcakes” for dinner at least twice a week now.

Tina Jordan — January 30, 2013 @ 9:24 pm

Unknown — February 26, 2013 @ 3:54 am

These were super super yummy. My husband NEVER comments that something is good and from the first bite he got this surprised look on his face and said “wow, these are really good!”. I am super excited that I found your site and am planning a girls weekend at our cabin featuring several of your recipes. Can hardly wait. Have already shared links to your site with my sister and oldest daughter. You can bet these little powerful cupcakes will be gracing their table soon as well. My store didn’t have the Heinz Au Jus so I used Knorr Au Jus Gravy mix in the packet. I had to cook it in water on the stove but it worked great. Not too salty either.

Robin D — April 30, 2013 @ 1:18 pm

Hi Emily. I just recently found you and I love your recipes. I made these last night and loved them. I was thinking a fun variation would be to add sauted peppers and onions and it would be philly cheesesteak cupcakes. Thanks again for your awesome recipes!

Stephanie Sullivan — May 18, 2013 @ 3:51 pm

I made these cupcakes last night and the whole family loved them – even my very picky 11-year-old son. Thank you for the awesome recipe. It’s definitely a keeper!

Christine — June 19, 2013 @ 1:49 am

I made these tonight and my husband devoured them .. even said they were restaurant quality! What a hit!

morgan032032 — June 25, 2013 @ 1:18 am

I made these for dinner tonight, and my entire family loved them! Your recipes are the best–they make weight loss almost, dare I say it, fun! Haha.

Anonymous — July 7, 2013 @ 11:30 pm

OMG I have made your other cupcakes which are all good but I can not keep these in the house because my son eats them all. Keep up the good work. Can you come up with a few more chicken recipe cupcakes? Have to reduce the red meat intake. Thanks for all the fun low fat recipes

Anonymous — October 27, 2013 @ 12:25 am

Made these tonight to take to work next week for lunches. Had to have one just to see how it tasted :).. they were good. I did find them a bit salty but that may be because I used a home made Au Jus gravy recipe which was a bit salty as well. I’ve made several of your other cupcakes and they are all so delicious! Thanks for another great recipe… might even try this using ham too!!

krista storoy — December 17, 2013 @ 12:57 am

These look delishious!

Anonymous — January 18, 2014 @ 12:07 am

Emily…you have out done yourself once again. These were AMAZING!! My husband just ooohhh’d and aaahhhh’d over them and said that they tasted like something from his childhood! This is the 3rd recipe this week that we have had of yours and all I can say is…keep doing what you are doing, because you not only are helping me with my weight loss, but many others! Thanks again!!

BlairKreiger — February 1, 2014 @ 1:55 am

OH MY GOODNESS. These tasty little morsels are ridiculously delicious. My husband wants me to make them every week. They are so juicy and flavorful. I couldn’t find the Heinz Au Jus, but I used the packet and it turned out wonderfully. Thank you, Emily, for all the wonderful recipes you share with us! :)

Sherri-Lynn — March 24, 2014 @ 10:21 am

I made these last night. They are AMAZING. I made them exactly how it says. The only difference is I used packet Au Jus. After reading all the comments, I only used 1 tea of the powder with 1/2 cup of water. It didn’t turn out salty at all. It was perfect. This is my favorite recipe that I’ve tried on here. Super quick and easy.

Becky K — April 9, 2014 @ 11:06 pm

LOVE these! I’ve make them three times. The first two with au jus that wasn’t Heinz. (I’d looked all over for the Heinz, but couldn’t find it anywhere.) The third time, I’d ordered the Heinz au jus from Amazon and I played with the recipe by adding onions, mushrooms and using cheddar instead of the mozzarella.

Jess McKnight — June 30, 2014 @ 11:51 am

I made these last night and they are incredible!!!! I couldn’t find the jarred gravy, so bought the packet and only made 1c worth of it. My husband and kids used the extra to pour over top of their muffins! My boys didn’t like the wrappers, but that didn’t surprise me — they did, however, devour the filling, so that was fine with me!! Thanks for your recipes – they are the best!

Lori — July 14, 2014 @ 9:00 pm

Love this site! One question. Is it one or two wontons per muffin cup. Does this make 8 or 16?

Thanks

• Emily Bites replied: — July 16th, 2014 @ 7:44 pm

two wontons per cup

Suz — August 13, 2014 @ 2:03 pm

Help
    I want to make these as mini cupcake size. I had at one time some guide lines, but I cant find them. Can you help

• Emily Bites replied: — August 17th, 2014 @ 4:44 pm

They’re in the FAQs under the “about” tab above!

Rene — November 15, 2014 @ 6:22 pm

Double batch going in the oven now, love these!!! Our usual French dip is made using a whole loaf of French bread, nice to lighten the carbs but keep the flavor!

EJ — November 19, 2014 @ 3:29 am

This is so awesome, I can’t wait to try this next week in an attempt to get my nephew to eat something other than Mac n Cheese. One thing, though. Don’t buy food marketed as low fat, or fat-free. It if often less enjoyable, as far as flavor is concerned, and it is of no benefit to losing weight or staying in shape. It’s nothing more than a marketing gimmick.

1. Pingback: Pizza Cups » Emily Bites

2. Pingback: Voting Closed: Best of 2012 Reader’s Choice Awards! » Emily Bites

3. Pingback: Erin's Weekly Menu: 12/22/14 - GoTimeTrainingGoTimeTraining - GoTimeTraining provides Wichita personal training, fitness programs, and bootcamps using lifestyle transformation programs and nutritional guidance tailored to your goals, no matter your a