Apr 03

Cheesy Potluck Potatoes

I often forget to plan ahead and post a holiday-themed recipe before the holiday actually occurs so that you all can make it too, but this time I remembered! I am so proud of myself. I know a lot of people make ham as their main course for Easter, and one of the most popular side dishes for ham is a warm, creamy, cheesy potato casserole. I think almost everyone has eaten some version of these potatoes. When brainstorming a light version I ran across many similar recipes titled “funeral potatoes” which made me do a double take. I’m assuming the moniker comes from this dish’s prevalence at potluck gatherings, so I am incorporating potluck into the title instead of funeral. It just sounds more appetizing! I’m not always a huge sour cream fan, but I love the tangy flavor it brings to this dish. You can make this with the traditional cream of chicken soup, but it tastes just as good with cream of mushroom for a vegetarian option. This is a generous portion for a side dish, so make sure to leave room on your plate. The potatoes make really good leftovers too, so feel free to hide some before they’re all gone!

Cheesy Potluck Potatoes

Yield: 8 servings

• 2 lb (32 oz) bag of frozen hash brown potatoes (I used the cubed kind), defrosted (or just use refrigerated)
  • ¼ cup chopped onion
  • 1 cup fat free sour cream
  • 10.75 oz can of 98% fat free cream of chicken OR cream of mushroom soup for a vegetarian option
  • 1 cup 2% reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • ¾ cup of corn flakes, crushed

1. Preheat the oven to 350. Lightly mist a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients except the corn flakes and stir until thoroughly combined.
  3. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and spread evenly. Sprinkle the corn flakes over the top and bake for one hour until potatoes are cooked through. Slice into eight pieces and serve.

5 per serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)

190 calories, 31 g carbs, 2 g fat, 6 g protein, 3 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)

Adapted from Food.com

49 Responses to “Cheesy Potluck Potatoes”

Kathleen — April 3, 2012 @ 2:20 am

ooo, I bet you could even substitute greek yogurt for the sour cream for the added protein. I can’t wait to try this recipe! By the way, Emily. Everything I’ve made from this website ——> ROCKS!

• emilybites replied: — April 7th, 2012 @ 7:13 pm

Thanks, Kathleen! You could definitely sub Greek yogurt. :)

Susan B — April 3, 2012 @ 3:18 am

we have always called them funeral potatoes and yep we have them every Easter…thanks for lightening it up!

• emilybites replied: — April 7th, 2012 @ 7:14 pm

Hope you love them!

Anna P — April 3, 2012 @ 11:06 am

I get 4 points with the nutritional info, but 7 points entering it into the recipie builder.

• Anna replied: — April 3rd, 2012 @ 11:07 am

That’s a big difference, but still better than the original recipie.

• emilybites replied: — April 3rd, 2012 @ 11:13 am

I have no idea how you would get that because when I run the exact ingredients I listed through the recipe builder I get 5 per serving.

• Gilly replied: — April 7th, 2012 @ 3:15 am

Maybe different hash brown options? One hash brown option I chose gave me 46 points for the 2 pounds and made the recipe 8 pp+ each. If you enter the NI into the calculator, it equals 4 pp+

Katie B. — April 3, 2012 @ 1:42 pm

Thank you! Adding this to my Easter menu.

• emilybites replied: — April 7th, 2012 @ 7:15 pm

I hope they’re a hit! Happy Easter!

Unknown — April 3, 2012 @ 8:47 pm

Made them as 16 cupcakes!!!! They were amazing!!! I have lost 15 lbs so far all by eating Emily bite recipes!

• emilybites replied: — April 7th, 2012 @ 7:16 pm

What a genius idea to make them into cupcakes!! I am going to try that next time.

Congratulations on your weight loss – that’s awesome!! :)

• Anonymous replied: — April 19th, 2012 @ 10:51 pm

would you still bake 1 hr. also are points still 5 points per cupcake? and is serving size 1 or 2 cupcakes? thanks for any info!!

Lauren — April 4, 2012 @ 12:47 am

wow this looks amazing!

• emilybites replied: — April 7th, 2012 @ 7:16 pm

Thanks, Lauren! Hope you like it!

Wilma NC — April 8, 2012 @ 7:27 pm

Getting ready to put mine in the oven. Hubby wanted shredded potatoes though. I’ll let you know how it goes.

• emilybites replied: — April 17th, 2012 @ 7:01 pm

I hope they were a hit, Wilma!

Steph B — April 9, 2012 @ 3:04 pm

I made these for a side dish to our Easter dinner, and they were good! I substituted 1/2 C seasoned bread crumbs for the corn flakes, and the points came out the same. I used shredded potatoes, as the store I was at didn’t have the cubed / diced potatoes. I’ll be making these again! Thanks for the recipe!

• emilybites replied: — April 17th, 2012 @ 7:02 pm

I’m glad they were a hit for Easter! Thanks for letting me know :)

Audrey — April 15, 2012 @ 6:25 am

I made these for Easter brunch. They turned out amazing! I’ve tried another version of this recipe and this one is WAY better. I absolutely love all your recipes. My boyfriend is pretty skeptical when I make “healthy” recipes, but he has liked every recipe that I’ve made from your website (bubble up enchiladas are his fave, he’s learned how to make them too!). Thanks for all your wonderful recipes!

• emilybites replied: — April 17th, 2012 @ 7:04 pm

Yay, I am so glad you loved this dish! Thanks so much for the kind words. I’m glad your boyfriend is becoming a believer :P.

Anonymous — April 16, 2012 @ 4:53 pm

This is a wonderful recipe! For breakfast I warmed up 1 serving of potatoes, and topped with a cheese single and fried egg. Only 8 points for a very filling breakfast thatkept me full until lunchtime.

• emilybites replied: — April 17th, 2012 @ 7:05 pm

Sounds like a yummy breakfast to me! Thanks for sharing the idea. Glad to hear you liked these!

Anonymous — April 19, 2012 @ 10:18 pm

If you bake the cheesy potluck potatoes in a cupcake pan would you still bake 1 hour and also would each serving still be 5 points per muffin or less?

• emilybites replied: — April 19th, 2012 @ 10:52 pm

Sorry, I’ve never made them that way, so I have no idea. If you try it out let us know!

Courtney — April 29, 2012 @ 4:17 am

These potatoes made an excellent side dish for my pork roast and asparagus dinner! Thanks for this easy to make and delicious to eat recipe.

PS – In St. Louis we call this casserole “Party Potatoes” – I guess the name of the dish depends on where you live!

Anonymous — July 21, 2012 @ 1:40 am

I use top the tater instead of sour cream. Yum

Anonymous — July 31, 2012 @ 12:14 am

These are amazingly good. My sister’s recipe is similar, but uses a stick of butter. The first time we made it, she said she didnt’ miss the butter at all and it didn’t have all that grease floating everywhere. No one commented on the swaps as being noticeable either. The next time she made it she “insisted” she had to have some butter, so I made mine separate. After dinner she commented that I should have reminded her leaving out the butter was okay & she didn’t miss the flavor. I told her to sprinkle butter buds on her portion if she wanted. We are having it regularly now; without unnecessary fat & still amazing taste. Thanks so much for posting this…I thought I would never get to have it again.

Anonymous — August 9, 2012 @ 10:59 pm

Another great recipe Emily, thank you so much.

Tsteve — September 30, 2012 @ 5:46 pm

Making these tonight. We also have these every Easter and my dear Aunt always makes them. One of my favorite things! I will have to share this with her. She is doing Weight Watchers too I believe. We just call them cornflake potatoes. LOL

Sara — October 8, 2012 @ 11:29 pm

Made these tonight. Very good!! Except next time, I am going to cook the onions beforehand so they are softer. Love your blog!

Kieliszek — January 3, 2013 @ 6:00 pm

Im gonna try this tonight with ham added. Can’t wait

SandyH — January 6, 2013 @ 3:26 pm

Making these today to go with grilled pork tenderloin. I’ve made the full fat version for many years, so I am so happy to have this lightened up! Thanks!

Anonymous — January 6, 2013 @ 9:58 pm

Wonder how this would be with a panko topping?? I almost never have Corn Flakes on hand & I doubt Wheaties or Frosted Flakes would turn out well ;)

• Anonymous replied: — February 27th, 2013 @ 6:56 pm

I am using Italian Panko on mine this evening I will let you know!

Anonymous — January 20, 2013 @ 10:13 pm

I too will be trying this with Panko as that is what I have on hand.

Sarah — January 29, 2013 @ 8:50 pm

I’m giving these a try tonight with some pork chops. I can’t wait!!!!!!! I know they’re going to be amazing. BTW, I absolutely LOVED the taco bake as well as the chicken enchiladas. The buffalo pulled chicken was a hit as well! We ate them as bbq pita pizzas and bbq chicken nachos. Delicious!

Sarah — January 30, 2013 @ 2:22 am

Ok, these were AMAZING!!!!! Definitely integrating this into my usual repertoire. I had them with a pork chop for supper tonight and plan to have more for breakfast with an egg haha! Good job!!!!!!

Kacee — February 23, 2013 @ 6:16 pm

What is the serving size for these Emily?

Michelle — March 29, 2013 @ 1:23 pm

Making these for easter but going to sprinkle crushed lowfat cheeze its on top!

Anonymous — March 31, 2013 @ 1:56 am

made these in a cupcake pan(1/2 cup each) baked them for an hour point value was 3 for 1.

Anonymous — April 8, 2013 @ 8:26 pm

These are delicious! Had them last night…just curious, about how much potatoes are in a serving size (didn’t break it into eights last night since we were serving a crowd). Would you estimate about 2/3 C?

Thanks!

TeeJay — May 20, 2013 @ 7:35 pm

I like to steer clear of processed foods, so the frozen hash browns wouldn’t work for me. What’s the word on using fresh cubed potatoes? Any variation on the cooking time?

Thanks!

• Emily Koenigsberg replied: — May 20th, 2013 @ 7:36 pm

As long as you chop them up small it should be about the same!

Erin — June 9, 2013 @ 12:21 am

Emily-

Thank you So Much for lightening up this recipe. My Grandma used to make these for everything from Easter dinner to Xmas morning, and I often have craved them when I am missing her. This allows me to make them, think of her, and not depth-charge my WW mission.

Erin

Lindsey — May 4, 2014 @ 9:20 pm

How long do you bake these for?

Karen — August 8, 2014 @ 12:06 pm

We make these without any topping and I like them better that way. I have stopped using the butter as well. Don’t miss it. Try using Potatoes O’Brien that already has onions and green peppers. It is great

1. Pingback: 10 Weight Watchers Potato Meals | Crazy Food Blog

2. Pingback: 20 Weight Watchers Side Dish Recipes - #weightloss #health - A Spectacled Owl