Jul 19

Peach Basil Tart

Oh my. This is hands down my new favorite dessert. It’s like taking a bite of summer. The sweet peaches and basil taste so fresh atop the light and flaky puff pastry, and the lemon zest adds a brightness that finishes the combination off perfectly. I kind of want to have a cookout just so I can serve this for dessert. I can’t wait for you all to try it.

A few months back I picked up a copy of the Weight Watchers PointsPlus Cookbook and was immediately intrigued by a recipe it had for a French Apple Tart using a sheet of puff pastry dough. Since I didn’t want to wait until apple season to try it out (I still might make it for you all in the Fall) I thought a peach tart would be a perfect seasonal substitute. I started brainstorming flavors I thought would taste good with peaches and decided on fresh ginger (which I still think would also be delicious). On the way home from purchasing said ginger, I had an epiphany: basil. I turned my car right around and went back to the store, and I’m really glad I did. I wanted another really fresh tasting summer flavor to complement the peaches and basil and a little lemon zest worked perfectly.

This is a great dessert to serve guests because it looks beautiful, colorful and impressive, but it’s so simple you can easily throw it together for a weeknight treat for your family. At only 120 calories or 3 Weight Watchers Points+ per slice, this is a dessert you can feel good about.

Peach Basil Tart

Yield: 12 servings

• 3 large peaches
  • 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed (I used Pepperidge Farms brand which comes with 2 sheets in a box)
  • 6 T granulated sugar, divided
  • 1 t all-purpose flour (plus a little bit to flour the surface of your workspace when you work with the pastry dough)
  • 1 t fresh lemon zest (for me this about equaled the zest from 1 large lemon)
  • 2 t chopped fresh basil, divided (or more to taste, if desired)

1. Preheat the oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside (I used a 10 x 15” baking sheet).
  2. Slice the peaches open and remove the pits. Cut the peaches into thin slices (about ¼” thick). Set aside.
  3. Lightly flour your workspace surface and unfold the thawed puff pastry sheet onto the floured space. Using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll the pastry sheet out to be a 10” x 14” rectangle. Place the pastry rectangle onto the prepared baking sheet and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
  4. In a small dish, combine one tablespoon of the sugar with the teaspoon of flour and stir. In a separate small bowl, combine the remaining 5 tablespoons of sugar, the lemon zest, and one teaspoon of the chopped basil. Massage the lemon zest and basil into the sugar with your fingers until combined.
  5. Leaving about 1/2” around the edges, sprinkle the flour mixture across the surface of the pastry rectangle. Line the peach slices onto the pastry in three long rows, overlapping the slices. Sprinkle the sugar/lemon/basil mixture evenly over the top of the peach slices.
  6. Bake for about 35 minutes or until the edges are browned and the peaches are cooked through and tender. Let the tart cool for a few minutes and then sprinkle with the remaining teaspoon of chopped basil (or more if desired). Cut tart into 12 equal pieces (I used a pizza cutter to slice lengthwise between each row of peaches to form three long sections and then I just cut each of those into four equal pieces) and serve.

3 per serving(P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)

120 calories, 18 g carbs, 5 g fat, 2 g protein, 1 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)

Inspired by the French Apple Tart in the Weight Watchers Points Plus Cookbook

28 Responses to “Peach Basil Tart”

Anonymous — July 19, 2012 @ 11:53 pm

You could also put some low fat sour cream on this and make it into Peach Kuchen.

• emilybites replied: — August 16th, 2012 @ 2:56 am

Cool, thanks!

Kelly Runs on Cake — July 20, 2012 @ 6:20 pm

Yummm! I bought a basil plant this summer and while it is so handy, I just can’t use it fast enough! And peaches are one of my absolute favorite foods. So this is fate!

• emilybites replied: — August 16th, 2012 @ 2:57 am

It’s definitely fate! I hope you love this :)

Elizabeth@ Food Ramblings — July 23, 2012 @ 1:57 pm

this looks awesome- perfect for summer!

• emilybites replied: — August 16th, 2012 @ 3:00 am

Thanks, Elizabeth!

Anonymous — July 25, 2012 @ 2:28 am

I found your site a few weeks ago and I love it. This recipe tastes amazing! It wasn’t hard to make. We cut each (large) peach into 16 sections and it worked out perfectly. I’ve never worked with dough sheets (usually I’m a whole wheat girl) so I wasn’t perfect when I rolled it out, but we stretched it a little here and scrunched it a little there and it came out fine. I loved the basil on it. Thanks for the great recipe!

Final note—I’m a “Type 1 Diabetic Weight Watcher” so I appreciate you including the nutritional info along with the PP for each recipe. Even though I have asked them to, WW does not do this for their online recipes and it makes extra work for me. Thanks for including the info I need to stay healthy!

• emilybites replied: — August 16th, 2012 @ 3:02 am

I’m so happy you loved this!! I wish WW included NI for their recipes too. It definitely makes it a pain for anyone trying to track points alongside any other info (carbs, fat, etc).

LDH — July 26, 2012 @ 3:27 pm

Hi Emily!

Sweet place you have here :) I have perused your blog and have enjoyed each of your posts!

So nice stopping by for a visit.
    Kindly, Lorraine

• emilybites replied: — August 16th, 2012 @ 3:03 am

Thanks, Lorraine! Stop by again!

Suzanne — July 29, 2012 @ 2:38 am

This looks so easy and delicious! I might make this as the dessert for a ‘girls only’ luncheon for my mom & her sisters. Thank you, Emily!

• emilybites replied: — August 16th, 2012 @ 3:03 am

Do it! I hope you all love it :)

Anonymous — July 31, 2012 @ 8:46 pm

Your site is amazing!!! Thank you!! How many is this supposed to serve?

• emilybites replied: — July 31st, 2012 @ 10:59 pm

The recipe serves 12

eRn — August 1, 2012 @ 4:37 pm

I made this for a potluck at work today and everyone RAVED about it.

• emilybites replied: — August 16th, 2012 @ 3:03 am

Yay! Happy to hear it was a hit! :)

Cassie — August 2, 2012 @ 7:20 pm

Talk about some presentation!!! And an opportunity to use my home-grown basil (the only herb I’ve been able to keep alive for more than a month). Love it, as always.

• emilybites replied: — August 16th, 2012 @ 3:04 am

Thanks, Cassie!! Glad you loved it :)

Anonymous — August 5, 2012 @ 12:13 am

Thank you for this recipe Emily…just pulled this out of the oven! I appreciate the exactness of all of the measurements…3 large peaches was the perfect amount and they fit perfectly on the pastry sheet in 3 rows. I do want to remind others to make sure that none of the sugar lemon basil mixture makes too it near the edges as it can pour off and burn onto the parchment paper…I might have let off the smoke alarm with that mistake ;)

• emilybites replied: — August 16th, 2012 @ 3:05 am

Haha, oops! Good tip!! Glad to hear that it worked out and you liked it! :)

Shaunna — August 14, 2012 @ 5:16 pm

I made this recipe last night and it was AMAZING!!
    Tips on saving the leftovers? I tried a peice for breakfast this morning and while super tasty, it had gotten a bit soggy.

• emilybites replied: — August 16th, 2012 @ 3:06 am

So happy you loved it! I actually tossed my leftovers back in the oven at 350 for a few minutes to warm them up. You could also toss them in the toaster oven. Hope that helps!

Anonymous — August 16, 2012 @ 1:22 pm

Emily! Youre a genius! I made this last night as my birthday dessert and it was a huge hit! Seriously, my family devoured it :)

The lemon goes so well with the peaches and the basil adds a fab twist (i think i may even add a little more next time for my basil loving family lol)

Thanks again for another delicious creation <3

~Vanessa

Liz — August 23, 2012 @ 3:53 am

I have this in the oven right now for a “Garden Harvest” potluck at work tomorrow!

Cindy Beck, author — August 23, 2012 @ 2:36 pm

Sounds like a yummy recipe! Just wondering … since I don’t have any fresh basil on hand, would dried basil work? And would I use less, since it’s dried?

Michelle Wood — August 26, 2012 @ 2:31 am

AWESOME RECIPE!!!!! SO GOOD

Anonymous — February 12, 2013 @ 8:38 pm

For the reason that the admin of this web page
    is working, no hesitation very soon it will be famous, due
    to its feature contents.
    Also see my pagehttp://Sahline.Org/

Anonymous — February 12, 2013 @ 11:27 pm

I am regular reader, how are you everybody? This post posted at this website is genuinely pleasant.
    Feel free to visit my blog postonline shopping portals