Jul 13

Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken

This recipe could not be easier. There are only 4 ingredients and you simply layer three of them in your slow cooker in the morning, go to work, come home, shred the meat, wait a little longer and then voila: your main course is ready! If the thought of turning on your oven in the summer has you placing a regular daily order at your local pizza joint, this may be the perfect solution. This recipe makes a lot of chicken, but it’s so versatile that you can use it to make tons of different meals. I photographed the chicken served on a roll as a sandwich but you could also use it to make quesadillas, top baked potatoes, add protein to mac & cheese, pile on a pizza, fill lettuce wraps (a low carb option!), etc. The possibilities are endless! *Update: I also mixed some of my leftovers with a little bit of light blue cheese dressing, microwaved it and ate it as a dip with baked tortilla chips and veggies. It was awesome!

If you’ve been reading my blog for a while, you may be looking at these ingredients in shock. I’m a Buffalo girl, and as I’ve said before, we do not serve Buffalo chicken with ranch dressing here. It is simply not done. Blue cheese or go home. My loyalty to this unwritten rule prevented me from making this recipe for months, but I kept seeing it all over Pinterest and I admit I was intrigued. Finally a few weeks ago I had dinner at my mom’s house and wouldn’t you know, she made this recipe. It was delicious. I immediately felt torn between my taste buds (which were jumping for joy) and all that I know to be true (Buffalo Chicken + Ranch = NO). I’ve decided to rationalize my enjoyment of this recipe by pointing out that dry ranch seasoning is really not the same as ranch dressing. Plus, the overall flavor of the dish does not taste like ranch dressing. The packet is basically just mix of seasonings that adds to the yummy profile of flavors in the dish but does not taint the chicken like ranch dressing would. Right? I did drizzle some blue cheese dressing over the top on my sandwich for good measure and it was perfect. Hopefully I don’t get run out of town for this…

Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken

Yield: 12 (1/2 cup) servings

• 3 lbs raw boneless skinless chicken breasts (the original recipe used frozen breasts, but I used them unfrozen, so it appears you can do either)
  • 12 oz bottle of Buffalo wing sauce (I used Frank's Wing Sauce)
  • 1 oz packet of dry Ranch mix (I used Hidden Valley)
  • 2 T light butter

1. Place the chicken breasts in your slow cooker. Pour the bottle of wing sauce over the top of the chicken. Sprinkle the packet of ranch mix over the top of the wing sauce. Place the lid on your slow cooker. Cook on low for 7-9 hours until meat shreds easily.
  2. Remove meat and shred it using two forks. Return shredded meat to the sauce and add the butter. Stir to combine. Continue to cook on low for another hour so the meat can soak up the sauce. Serve however you like!

3 per serving(P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)

175 calories, 1 g carbs, 5 g fat, 28 g protein, 0 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)

This post contains affiliate links

232 Responses to “Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken”

Jill — July 14, 2012 @ 12:39 am

Yum!I love buffalo chicken!

• emilybites replied: — July 14th, 2012 @ 2:01 am

Me too!

Jana Turbyfill — July 14, 2012 @ 1:59 am

This sounds really good! I just bought a new crockpot today!!! Are there any specific brands of wing sauce that you think are better than others?

• emilybites replied: — July 14th, 2012 @ 2:02 am

I like both Frank’s wing sauce (just make sure you buy the wing sauce, not the red hot sauce) and Anchor Bar brand. I think Frank’s is at pretty much every grocery store. That’s what I used for this!

• Jana Turbyfill replied: — July 16th, 2012 @ 7:29 pm

Thanks! I’ll look for it!

Anonymous — July 14, 2012 @ 1:27 pm

Wow that sounds amazing and super easy!!! Thank you

• emilybites replied: — July 26th, 2012 @ 1:52 am

I hope you love it!

Anonymous — July 14, 2012 @ 4:36 pm

I have it in the slow cooker right now!! Thanks Emily, it looks delicious!

• emilybites replied: — July 26th, 2012 @ 1:52 am

Yay, let me know what you think!

The Weinbergs — July 14, 2012 @ 5:15 pm

This looks so good – I’ve never tried franks wing sauce… is it really spicey or mild? I have two small kids so trying to figure out if this would be ok for them…

• emilybites replied: — July 26th, 2012 @ 1:53 am

The regular Frank’s wing sauce is pretty mild. I think it would be okay for kids – especially if you put it on bread.

Ali — July 14, 2012 @ 8:33 pm

Funny, I was just craving a sloppy joe kind of sandwich, and I think this will satisfy my craving!

• emilybites replied: — July 26th, 2012 @ 1:53 am

It was fate! :)

Anonymous — July 15, 2012 @ 1:21 am

I have made this recipe for years, minus the butter. It is really good with mustard based wing sauces if you do not like it really hot. Perfect share for everyone….

• emilybites replied: — July 26th, 2012 @ 1:54 am

I’ve never tried a mustard wing sauce but thanks for the alternate idea!

Emily May — July 15, 2012 @ 4:43 pm

I love this buffalo chicken…I make it a lot! I think a TBSP of vinegar adds a nice bite to the sometimes ‘bottled’ taste from the sauce.

• emilybites replied: — July 26th, 2012 @ 1:54 am

Thanks for the tip!

• Anonymous replied: — October 31st, 2012 @ 5:18 pm

I made this with one packet of ranch 2x chicken and sauce (Franks wing) and it turned out uber salty and I love salt. Had to rewarm with a potato (to suck up some of the salt) and added vinegar and it was much better

• Anonymous replied: — November 29th, 2012 @ 3:36 am

Did you use the packets of ranch DIP mix or ranch DRESSING mix? From previous experience with different recipes, the dip mix is much saltier than the dressing mix. I always use the dressing mix. Hope this helps.

Anonymous — July 15, 2012 @ 9:19 pm

I agree with you on the ranch. Am from NY originally and you just might be arrested if you served ranch with anything buffalo flavored! Living out west now, I always have to ask for blue cheese.

Love your site! Just happened to stumble upon it and there are a bunch of things I can’t wait to make.

• emilybites replied: — July 26th, 2012 @ 1:55 am

Haha, I’m glad someone knows what I’m talking about. Let me know what you make first! :)

• Kashmirkat replied: — January 2nd, 2013 @ 4:04 am

I make a version of this but I use the laughing cow bleu cheese wedges instead of ranch mix (also because there is SO much MSG in that mix…) and sometimes also add reduced fat bleu cheese crumbles after it’s done :) I also leave out the butter myself. :)

• Lisa M. replied: — January 21st, 2013 @ 5:01 am

I’m a fellow Buffalonian and agree with you, Ranch and Buffalo anything is just WRONG! Gotta be blue cheese! I’m always looking for easy Crock-Pot recipes. I can’t wait to try this!

• Joanne replied: — April 17th, 2013 @ 3:49 pm

This sounds great! Love trying new crock pot recipes. Makes getting home from work and prepping dinner for the family less stressful! Completely agree with the Ranch and Buffalo comment. I hate going out of town and seeing Buffalo chicken on the menu and seeing it served with Ranch instead of Bleu Cheese.

Joyce — July 15, 2012 @ 11:39 pm

Make this today. It was very salty so next time I will try only a half pkg of the ranch dressing.

Elizabeth@ Food Ramblings — July 16, 2012 @ 12:13 pm

Great recipe and thanks to the other posters on other suggestions for the recipe :)

Jennifer — July 17, 2012 @ 1:03 am

Another great recipe Emily! I halved it and it came out terrific. I had it for dinner on Arnold’s Sandwich Thins and plan on having more of it for lunch tomorrow over lettuce.

• emilybites replied: — July 26th, 2012 @ 1:56 am

I’m glad you loved it! :)

Pam — July 17, 2012 @ 6:46 pm

It’s in the crockpot now!!! Can’t wait to try it!

• emilybites replied: — July 26th, 2012 @ 1:56 am

Hope you love it!

Kelly — July 17, 2012 @ 8:30 pm

Someone else asked this too….is the wing sauce less spicy/hot than the Frank’s hot sauce? I’ve been using the hot sauce for recipes like this and sometimes it’s just too hot!

• emilybites replied: — July 26th, 2012 @ 1:57 am

The wing sauce is milder than the red hot sauce

Anonymous — July 18, 2012 @ 3:03 am

So good… just made this tonight! :) Any other suggestions I can do with this? I have a lot left over since I live alone…. I had it in lettuce wraps tonight, going to make a spicy version of a taco salad tomorrow night… Besides putting it on a bun like pictured, any other ideas?

• Anonymous replied: — July 20th, 2012 @ 2:45 am

In quesadillas is very good!

• emilybites replied: — July 26th, 2012 @ 1:57 am

I had a bunch of other suggestions in the post – let me know what you try! :)

• Anonymous replied: — November 13th, 2012 @ 12:28 pm

There is a buffalo chicken spring roll recipe on Pinterest that is awesome!

• Anonymous replied: — November 13th, 2012 @ 12:28 pm

There is a buffalo chicken spring roll recipe on Pinterest that is awesome!

• Anonymous replied: — November 13th, 2012 @ 12:28 pm

There is a buffalo chicken spring roll recipe on Pinterest that is awesome!

• Anonymous replied: — November 13th, 2012 @ 11:31 pm

There is a buffalo chicken spring roll recipe on Pinterest that is awesome!

Tammy @ Skinny Mom's Kitchen — July 18, 2012 @ 3:34 pm

I love that you said “bluecheese or go home” hahahahaha from one buffalo food blogger to another I can TOTALLY appreciate this!

I make a buffalo chicken wrap that this chicken would be perfect in – YUM!

• emilybites replied: — July 26th, 2012 @ 1:58 am

You definitely know what I’m talking about, Tammy. I love Buffalo Chicken Wraps! :)

Anonymous — July 18, 2012 @ 6:58 pm

Quick and easy and very delicious have left overs to use for pizza’s or a dip. Thanks!

• emilybites replied: — July 26th, 2012 @ 1:59 am

Glad you liked it!

Maureen — July 19, 2012 @ 12:52 am

it’s just finishing up in the slow cooker…I used frozen breasts…LOVE how easy it was! Can’t wait to taste :)

• emilybites replied: — July 26th, 2012 @ 1:59 am

I hope you love it!

Anonymous — July 23, 2012 @ 12:59 pm

I also used frozen breasts and it was o simple and Delicious! Anxious to try out your other recipes… :)

• emilybites replied: — July 26th, 2012 @ 1:59 am

Let me know what you try next! :)

Jason and Kacina — July 23, 2012 @ 1:07 pm

This is super delicious! I had it as a sandwich the first night and then made buffalo chicken nachos with it the next. Thanks for another amazing recipe!

• emilybites replied: — July 26th, 2012 @ 2:00 am

Glad you liked it! I loved it as nachos.

Jason and Kacina — July 23, 2012 @ 1:08 pm

Shann Bwell — July 23, 2012 @ 7:11 pm

This is in my crock pot right now. My house smells like hot wings. I can’t wait to try it. Going to use the leftovers in your buffalo bits too.

• emilybites replied: — July 26th, 2012 @ 2:00 am

Hope you love it!

Jenny — July 24, 2012 @ 1:02 am

Made this tonight! I am loving your site! Thanks for sharing all of your recipes. I just came back from Walmart and took your shopping list with me. I have so many things I want to try.

• emilybites replied: — July 26th, 2012 @ 2:00 am

Yay, glad you loved this. Let me know what you try next! :)

Anonymous — July 24, 2012 @ 7:48 pm

Can not wait to try this! I have all of the ingredients in my kitchen!

• emilybites replied: — July 26th, 2012 @ 2:01 am

I love when that happens! Hope you like it :)

Anonymous — July 24, 2012 @ 10:16 pm

I see the recipe calls for a 1oz packet of ranch….is that supposed to be a 16oz packet?

• Anonymous replied: — July 24th, 2012 @ 10:18 pm

Never mind. I looked at the packet again and I see that it says it MAKES 16 fl oz and that the net weight is .4 oz. Thank you. In the process of making this right now. I forgot to start it this morning though because I was running late to work so I am going to try cooking it for 4-5 hours on high versus the 8 on low. Fingers crossed

• emilybites replied: — July 26th, 2012 @ 2:02 am

Haha, a pound of ranch seasoning would be a LOT of seasoning ;)

Let me know how the shorter cooking time worked out!

Mandy — July 26, 2012 @ 1:48 am

Made this tonight using Louisiana buffalo wing sauce but it was way tooooooo spicy to even eat! Perhaps the Louisiana is hotter than Franks? My husband loves super spicy food and even he resorted to peanut butter sandwiches instead. Such a shame as I was really looking forward to this.

• emilybites replied: — July 26th, 2012 @ 2:02 am

I didn’t find this to be very spicy at all using the Frank’s wing sauce so I am going to assume the Louisiana sauce is WAY hotter.

• Mandy replied: — July 26th, 2012 @ 2:05 am

Well then I might just have to try it again using the franks :)

• emilybites replied: — July 26th, 2012 @ 2:09 am

Definitely do! Sorry it didn’t work out with the Louisiana sauce :/

• Unknown replied: — December 7th, 2012 @ 9:02 pm

I make Wing Sauce (usually don’t buy it, but I did for this recipe!) using regular Hot Sauce by putting it in a ramekin, putting a slice of butter in it and pouring some sauce on it, then I microwave it for maybe 15 seconds, and repeat to taste.

Long Story Short – Try adding butter to your too spicy meat, reheat it (or melt the butter beforehand) and it should cut down the heat.

Anonymous — July 28, 2012 @ 3:27 pm

This is cooking in my crockpot as I type. Only a few hours left! Can’t wait to try this!

• emilybites replied: — August 16th, 2012 @ 3:07 am

I hope you loved it!

Applesass — July 28, 2012 @ 3:35 pm

Looking forward to trying this over the weekend. I am a complete spice weenie so am thinking buffalo sauce will be too spicy, so I was thinking of trying a sweet smokey bbq type of sauce. Does that sound horrible with the ranch mix to you?

• Jennifer replied: — July 30th, 2012 @ 3:11 pm

Applesass- my sis in law halved the recipe as it is only her and my brother. Instead of 6 oz of sauce, she did 4 oz chicken stock and 2 oz of sauce mixed together and then poured it over. There was some kick but not as much. (my brother added additional sauce to his sandwiches as he likes spicy!) You can start with 5 oz to 1 oz and see how that goes.

• Applesass replied: — August 1st, 2012 @ 3:18 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, Jennifer! I wouldn’t have thought of that. I will give it a try and since my hubs likes things spicy he will like having a choice in the matter. :)

Anonymous — July 31, 2012 @ 10:19 pm

I was super excited to try this (and did today), but my husband and I found that it wasn’t too spicy but had a sour bite that was overwhelming. I was looking forward to leftovers, too, but ended up tossing it :(. Also, way too spicy for our 21 month old. I’ll have to check out your other slow cooker recipes for next time instead. (i used three chicken breast, the packet of ranch and franks buffalo wing sauce)

• emilybites replied: — August 16th, 2012 @ 3:09 am

Three chicken breasts? I think you may have misread the recipe – it’s supposed to be three pounds of chicken breasts! If you only made it with three breasts then I’m sure the sauce WAS overwhelming! Oops.

Anonymous — August 1, 2012 @ 1:00 pm

I think it’s three pounds, not 3 breasts.. Could have been the problem. Sounds good to me! You could also make your own wing sauce, super easy and yummy.

• emilybites replied: — January 3rd, 2013 @ 1:13 am

Definitely 3 pounds, not breasts :)

LilNurise — August 1, 2012 @ 7:25 pm

In the crock pot now and smells soooooooo good. Thanks for posting this!

• emilybites replied: — January 3rd, 2013 @ 1:14 am

Hope you loved it!

Anonymous — August 2, 2012 @ 7:12 pm

I found mine to be really salty, looking at the recipe I used the whole pack of ranch dressing, but did not check to see if a whole pack is 1oz or not, I was figuring it was the franks that made it overly salty, will make again but maybe try a different wing sauce and skip out on the ranch all together, not sure what caused the saltiness.

• emilybites replied: — January 3rd, 2013 @ 1:14 am

Try using 1/2 the Ranch packet next time – I think that will cut the saltiness

Audrey — August 4, 2012 @ 7:08 pm

I’ve made this twice now (I’ve halved it each time). It’s amazing! I’m addicted to Frank’s sauces and this recipe is perfect for my addiction!

• emilybites replied: — January 3rd, 2013 @ 1:15 am

I’m so glad you loved it!

Kelly Keating-Caraway — August 5, 2012 @ 1:00 am

This looks like something even I can make, dumping a few ingredients into the crock pot is my kind of cooking! Can’t wait to try it

• emilybites replied: — January 3rd, 2013 @ 1:15 am

Hope you love it!

Anonymous — August 5, 2012 @ 11:37 pm

It is too salty…but still good. I’d like to cut the saltiness a little…ideas anyone??

• emilybites replied: — January 3rd, 2013 @ 1:14 am

Try using 1/2 the Ranch packet next time – I think that will cut the saltiness

• Anonymous replied: — November 24th, 2013 @ 10:27 pm

I didnt even use half the ranch packet and my fiance said it was too salty. I didn’t add butter though. Does the butter help with the saltiness or add?

Jenna — August 6, 2012 @ 3:02 pm

I thought it was fantastic! Mine wasn’t too salty or too spicy.. Just right! :) I do have a really high spicy tolerance though. I can’t wait to make this again, I see this becoming one of my staple recipes. There are so many things you can do with it!

• emilybites replied: — January 3rd, 2013 @ 1:15 am

So glad you love it. I love the versatility too!

Anonymous — August 7, 2012 @ 3:44 pm

in the crockpot now…mouth watering just thinking about it!
    Your site and recipes are fabulous!! We had the Taco Cups last night and they were fantastic!
    Thanks!

• emilybites replied: — January 3rd, 2013 @ 1:16 am

Yay, I love the Taco Cupcakes too :) Hope this was just as good!

Anonymous — August 8, 2012 @ 8:35 pm

Sounds so good – What if I was only to use about 1 pound of chicken, how much of everything else do you think I should use?

• emilybites replied: — August 16th, 2012 @ 3:10 am

If you use 1/3 of the chicken then you should use 1/3 of the seasoning packet and 1/3 of the bottle of Franks.

Kim — August 10, 2012 @ 12:30 am

I made this and it was delicious! My store didnt have Franks wing sauce……which sucks, but I used Texas Pete wing sauce. I may even try the franks thick sauce hot sauce next time (and there will be a next time):) …..do u think that will work? I just love the salty taste of franks.

• emilybites replied: — January 3rd, 2013 @ 1:17 am

You could definitely try the Frank’s hot sauce if you want. Let me know how it turns out!

Veronica — August 14, 2012 @ 1:11 am

Made this today and it was fantastic! DH bought the store brand sauce (non-mild) so I cut it w/ chicken broth so my kids would eat it since they don’t like really spicy foods. Can’t wait to play w/ the left overs. I think it’ll be a keeper.

• emilybites replied: — January 3rd, 2013 @ 1:17 am

Glad you loved it!

Anonymous — August 18, 2012 @ 4:28 pm

just tried this today. It was amazing…Put it in the crockpot and let it cook over nite. shredded this morning. had for lunch in a fat free tortilla with reduced fat cheese as a quesadilla. i can only say….amazing. this recipe is a keeper. thank you for posting such wonderful recipes.

• emilybites replied: — January 3rd, 2013 @ 1:17 am

So happy it was a hit! :)

Anonymous — August 18, 2012 @ 4:32 pm

super fantastic recipe. loved it. put it on to cook all nite and shredded it this morning. for lunch I used it in a fat free flour tortilla with reduced fat cheese to make a buffalo chicken quesadillo. I can only say…..amazing. thanks for posting this fabulous recipe.

• emilybites replied: — January 3rd, 2013 @ 1:18 am

Yum, I love quesadillas. Sounds awesome. Glad you loved it!

Anonymous — August 23, 2012 @ 2:10 pm

I made this last night and it was amazing!

• emilybites replied: — January 3rd, 2013 @ 1:18 am

Yay, thanks for letting me know! :)

ChristinNC — August 24, 2012 @ 12:17 pm

I make pulled pork in the slow cooker and we never get it anywhere else.
    I’ll admit, the ranch dressing is throwing me because I’m a die-hard blue cheese with buffalo gal.
    That said however, I love new things and this looks delicious.
    My husband and one of my daughters will only eat ranch with buffalo so I’m
    going to try this in the next few days (looking forward to it ;)
    Thanks!

ChristinNC — August 27, 2012 @ 12:07 pm

Made this yesterday and we had it for dinner last night.
    It was wonderful, just the right kick!
    One of my kids used a tortilla and shredded jack cheese and the rest of us had it on hamburger buns with a side of sweet corn. (I used blue cheese dressing on mine too ;)
    Great addition to our limited menu. Seems when two people like one thing, the other two don’t, but this was a hit with all so that was a bonus.

*(I had said in my comment above this follow-up that we never get pulled pork anywhere else now but my husband pointed out that we do get pulled pork from a local bbq place on the very rare occasions that family visits from out of town… I stand corrected ;)
    Thanks again!

• emilybites replied: — January 3rd, 2013 @ 1:20 am

Haha, I’m glad you were able to get past the ranch seasoning too…it was a hurdle for me :P. Happy to hear it was a hit with the whole family!

evilmonkee — August 29, 2012 @ 6:33 pm

I made this for dinner last night. Unfortunately, I was too tired to eat, so I just put it away, packed a serving for lunch, and went to bed at 7pm (my life is super exciting). I was looking forward to trying for lunch today, so my expectations were high, and it totally lived up to them. It was the best lunch I’ve had in a very long time. I expected it to be tasty, but it was really, really, really tasty. Buffalo anything is my kryptonite, and this hit the spot perfectly.
    I’m glad I used extra hot sauce- otherwise I’m sure I’d be driving home to eat it with a spoon out of the container right now.
    Will definitely make it again, both with the extra hot sauce for DH and me, and with milder sauce for entertaining.

• emilybites replied: — January 3rd, 2013 @ 1:20 am

I’m so glad it was such a success! I love Buffalo stuff too (obviously) and this is so easy :)

tammyz — September 2, 2012 @ 1:49 pm

This is so great, INCREDIBLY easy, it has already become a go-to-recipe. I actually threw this together yesterday for an impromptu gathering – cooked it on High, and it was done in 3-4 hours – love that a crock pot recipe doesn’t have to take hours and hours to cook. I add more sauce than the recipe calls for, and less ranch mix (I thought it was too salty). This is so good on regular buns, or whole wheat thin buns, or even as a dip with crackers. I think I will have a 3-pound-bag-of-chicken in my freezer at all times! This is the BEST ever – thank you!!!!!!!

• emilybites replied: — January 3rd, 2013 @ 1:22 am

Yay, I’m happy you loved it! Thanks for letting me know :)

Anonymous — September 2, 2012 @ 2:04 pm

I have tried about 10 of your recipes since finding your site about 3 weeks ago. Every single one of them have been perfect. This was the first one I tried and my family loved it. I froze some of the meat and used it later in a “cupcake” with a litle blue cheese. Thanks for all of the recipes!

• emilybites replied: — January 3rd, 2013 @ 1:22 am

So glad to hear it was a hit! :)

Anonymous — September 9, 2012 @ 2:46 am

I am so happy I found this blog! I’m trying this recipe tomorrow to kick off football season ( my husband is a Bills fan!). We love all things buffalo flavored, but my husband is so picky. I’m talking no condiments, no spices, no vegetables or fruits with certain textures, etc. You have no idea the relief I had when I saw that this contained only 4 ingredients. Thank you so much!

• emilybites replied: — January 3rd, 2013 @ 1:23 am

I hope your picky husband liked it! I’m glad you found me too :)

Anonymous — September 9, 2012 @ 3:23 am

I live in Chicago but am originally from Binghamton. I’m going to make this to have while we watch the Bills/Jets on NFL Sunday Ticket. I’ll follow your lead and have a little bleu cheese dressing on top. Can’t wait! Let’s go, Buffalo!

• emilybites replied: — January 3rd, 2013 @ 1:23 am

Well, there’s always next season for the Bills. I hope the chicken was more successful than they were! :)

bmarie5 — September 11, 2012 @ 7:59 am

I tried this recipe of yours tonight and it was so good! I wanted to thank you for writing and sharing your low calorie recipes with us all. It is greatly appreciated. (: And I am so happy I found this blog!

• emilybites replied: — January 3rd, 2013 @ 1:24 am

Aw, thanks – I’m glad you did too! Happy it was a hit :)

Ann-Marie — September 18, 2012 @ 12:46 am

Super yummy! Thank you for a great recipe!

Anonymous — September 20, 2012 @ 1:32 am

I made this tonight for supper. It was very very salty tasting.. Why?!?!!!

Anonymous — September 25, 2012 @ 1:46 pm

This is hands down my fav recipe. I make it so much!!! Love it!!!!!

Anonymous — September 26, 2012 @ 12:30 am

Just tried this with precooked chicken in a Dutch oven on the stove for 10 minutes after sauces boils since I didn’t have time for the crockpot way. Omg its so good!

Anonymous — October 8, 2012 @ 10:14 pm

Made this tonight. Cooked on high for about five hours. The chicken shredded itself when I stirred it. Toasted a wheat bun, drizzled a little ranch on top and added pepperjack shredded cheese. Yum!! Thank you :)

Anonymous — October 14, 2012 @ 11:14 pm

Made this tonight after it was cooked, I added some chopped up celery. It gave it a great crunch and the laughing cow blue cheese was a great addition as well! Thanks for the recipe!!!!

Anonymous — October 17, 2012 @ 11:04 pm

so delicious… made it last night for dinner. My 3 year old who will never touch chicken, ate his whole plate and some.

Anonymous — October 17, 2012 @ 11:28 pm

This was simply AMAZING and easy to make, made this along with zuchhini totes and the whole me was AMAZING!!! Thank yoi for all these great recipes

Anonymous — October 19, 2012 @ 6:27 pm

Don’t have ranch seasoning could I pour some ranch dressing in???

Karen — October 27, 2012 @ 10:41 am

This sounds delicious – LOVE buffalo chicken. However, I don’t have a crockpot. Any ideas of temps/times for trying to make it in a standard oven?

Anonymous — October 27, 2012 @ 7:52 pm

While this sounded quite good, my family found it to be too salty. Any suggestions on being able to tone down the salt?

• colmel replied: — November 5th, 2012 @ 2:26 pm

Since there was no salt added to the recipe, I would suggest that you check your wing sauce before adding it (also, I don’t know if there’s a lower sodium ranch dressing packet out there). One old standby I’ve found to work is if you have a pot of anything and you taste and find it too salty – add a half of a peeled potato. The potato will soak up salt.

Jen — November 2, 2012 @ 12:36 am

Love this recipe! It’s so simple to make and my husband liked it with some blue cheese crumbles thrown on top. We’re going to try leftovers wrapped in a tortilla with some cheese. Thanks for sharing all your great recipes.

colmel — November 5, 2012 @ 2:22 pm

Made this for the first time Saturday(11/3/12)! Terrific! I used Jim Beam Wing Sauce (isn’t as hot) and didn’t need to add the butter. That saved a few grams of fat and didn’t detract anything (I don’t think) from the taste. KEEPER(and I’m recommending to lots of friends to check this blog!)

Anonymous — November 7, 2012 @ 1:01 am

Wow, this came out extra spicy – which I actually like. Sent my husband to the store for the ingredients and he came through on the Frank’s wing sauce, but the Hidden Valley Ranch, he got the spicy ranch. Whoa! mouth is on fire, but not complaining.

Thanks for the recipe – cheap and easy!

A Vescio — November 13, 2012 @ 1:57 pm

I’ve made chicken this way with bbq sauce – SO simple and delicious! Smells amazing when you return home from work, too!

Anonymous — November 13, 2012 @ 11:28 pm

Made this for dinner today and it was wonderful. I did omit the butter. I used Texas Pete buffalo sauce and served on mini Hawaiian sweet rolls with some coleslaw for the kids to cut some of the spice and both my kids loved it! If there are any leftovers I am going to use for spring rolls.

Anonymous — November 13, 2012 @ 11:31 pm

Sarah — November 14, 2012 @ 3:01 pm

This was my first recipe that I have tried from your website. I like the idea of the chicken in the crockpot and it shredded really nice. I did think it was very very salty and I did not add any salt. I will omit the ranch packet next time.

Stacey Gorman — November 20, 2012 @ 4:51 pm

Anytime you need to shred cooked meat like chicken breasts or a roast…. just toss them in a stand mixer, turn it on low and in a few minutes you’ve got perfectly shredded chicken! No fuss and it’s easy to clean up!

Stacey Gorman — November 20, 2012 @ 4:51 pm

jessicajuice — November 29, 2012 @ 4:39 pm

I am making this now. All we had was the Frank’s Red Hot, but my fiance loves that sauce for his homemade wings so I figured I’d give it a try for this recipe. I did add a little dark brown sugar to offset the spiciness/kick and I didn’t have the dry packet ranch, just light hidden valley ranch. I put a couple drops of that in there and mixed it all around. Hoping it comes out well!

Anonymous — December 13, 2012 @ 3:00 am

Soo good! I had it for dinner last night & lunch today! I put it on an 8″ whole wheat tortilla with a light swiss laughing cow cheese wedge & half of an avocado …it mellowed out the spiciness (my grocery store only had 1 kind of buffalo sauce & it definitely has a kick to it) & made it incredible!

Anonymous — December 19, 2012 @ 4:33 am

Does it matter if you use buttermilk dressing mix or the original?

Anonymous — December 20, 2012 @ 12:57 pm

Love this recipe. Have made it 3 times now – once for a group of hungry teenage boys who loved it. No leftovers!

Beth — December 20, 2012 @ 3:11 pm

Yum! I put this in the crockpot last night – 3.5 hours on high. My grocery store only had Texas Pete Buffalo Sauce, but I’m sure it will be similar. I used a 2lb package of chicken breast and 8oz of sauce (and, of course, about 2/3 the ranch packet). I wish I’d used a bit more sauce – while plenty juicy, mine doesn’t seem to be as saucy as your photo. Other than a little taste test, I haven’t eaten it yet – it’s for dinner tonight! We plan to put it in low-carb tortillas with lettuce and blue cheese crumbles (for me, at least. DH will, embarrassingly, be using ranch). Thanks for the recipe!

Melissa — January 2, 2013 @ 5:19 pm

What kind of bun did you use for this?? Thanks!

• emilybites replied: — January 3rd, 2013 @ 1:12 am

I used a Weight Watchers brand sandwich roll

Anonymous — January 5, 2013 @ 8:17 pm

my brother used it in an omlette and said it was amazing!

boshk13 — January 7, 2013 @ 1:53 am

blue cheese is just chunky ranch. except that when your trying to dip your wings in blue cheese, it leaves chunks in the cup that get thrown away.

Mary j — January 7, 2013 @ 1:06 pm

Emily, made this recipe yesterday and there was a problem …. No leftovers! Great recipe. Easy and they kept going back for more. Love your blog.

Anonymous — January 8, 2013 @ 3:59 pm

Made this for the first time. IT WAS GREAT!!! Thank you thank you thank you for this!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous — January 9, 2013 @ 12:43 am

Thank you so much for this! It was wonderful and my husband loved it.

موسوعة الطبخ — January 10, 2013 @ 8:52 pm

very nice thank you so much =)

Anonymous — January 11, 2013 @ 9:51 pm

This was absolutely amazing. Only thing is is that I didn’t use 3 lbs. of chicken. Only 2 pieces since I’m only feeding myself. And from there I used not half the bottle of franks wing sauce but enough for it to coat, and sit in a good amount in the crock pot. Same with the ranch packet, I didn’t use a whole lot. It all worked out though, and after I shredded the chicken I added some tartar to the leftover sauce to thickin it a little.

Anonymous — January 12, 2013 @ 1:19 am

Has anyone doubled this recipe? I need it to feed a bunch of people and I just want to make sure if I double everything it will come out ok.

Elizabeth Shackelford Melton — January 14, 2013 @ 6:12 pm

Just put this in the crock pot and calculated the points…I’m getting that it’s 4 points not 3, has anyone else noticed this or am I inputing some wrong numbers? :/

Anonymous — January 15, 2013 @ 9:48 pm

Just put mine in the crockpot on high for 4 hours. Hoping i come home from work with it easy to shred! :) gunna use it in lettuce wraps! Let you know how it turns out!

Anonymous — January 17, 2013 @ 2:21 am

Made this tonight, but didn’t get it started until 4 o’clock. I sprayed my cast iron dutch oven with cooking spray, browned the chicken quickly on each side on the stove over medium/high heat. Then added other ingredients, covered with lid and finished cooking in a 325 degree oven for a 2 hours. Next, I removed from oven and placed on stove eye heated to warm while I shredded meat. I shredded the meat directly in the pot. The sauce cooked down quickly and was ready in about 30 minutes. It was fabulous! A big hit with all the family. I served it with sweet potato fries. Thank you, so much.

jennifer — January 21, 2013 @ 12:21 am

I made this today and my family LOVED it!! My 12 year old even ate it. Thanks for the amazing recipe :)

Anonymous — January 21, 2013 @ 5:35 pm

How long would you recommend cooking it if the crock pot was set on High?

Elizabeth Peterson — January 22, 2013 @ 7:49 pm

Making this for dinner tonight! :)

Anonymous — January 24, 2013 @ 10:13 pm

Is the 3 P+ just the chicken? Or the bun as well?? Thanks!!

• emilybites replied: — January 24th, 2013 @ 10:57 pm

The points and nutrition information are for the ingredients listed in the recipe only. You can choose to serve the chicken however you wish!

Erin — January 26, 2013 @ 12:10 am

So good! I made this and day one we had on buns. Day 2 I fried onions in a pan, added the leftover chicken, mixed in canned diced tomatoes with cilantro, green chili’s and rolled them up, topped with enchilada sauced and mex cheese. It made 2 full pans of corn tortilla enchilada’s. Not sure on the points for that but WOW, good good good!

Kim — January 27, 2013 @ 5:56 pm

Do you have any idea how to adapt the recipe to use Frank’s Hot Sauce instead of the Wing Sauce? My family loves everything spicy, and we are not too found of Frank’s Wing Sauce. My fear with using the sauce instead of the wing sauce is that it could turn out runny.

• lynnssouthernheart replied: — February 4th, 2013 @ 10:43 pm

I just made this today and I used the Frank’s Hot Sauce instead of the Wing Sauce and I didn’t change anything except I did make sure to use the butter because from what I was told by a waitress once was that the wing sauce just has butter added to the franks hot sauce…It wasn’t runny at all, the chicken soaked up the sauce and it is delicious!! Thanks for the recipe Emily!

Jena — January 28, 2013 @ 1:27 am

I used Texas Pete Fiery Sweet sauce on this. It was SO GOOD. Not traditional Buffalo flavor, but delicious nonetheless. We will be making this again VERY soon. Thanks for the great recipes! :)

Anonymous — January 28, 2013 @ 1:34 pm

In the crockpot now and my apartment smells deliciously buffalo :) out of curiosity, what does the butter do for the recipe?

Anonymous — January 28, 2013 @ 11:27 pm

For all those wondering, as I did, regular Frank’s Red Hot sauce works great if you can’t find the wing sauce. According to the Frank’s website, the regular hot sauce is actually MILDER than the wings sauce: http://www.franksredhot.com/info/faq. I added a T of apple cider vinegar, and served on buns topped with reduced fat crumbled blue cheese. Delish!

Sheryl — January 31, 2013 @ 2:37 am

You shouldn’t need the butter if you use a ready made buffalo sauce, but if you use the regular hot sauce (Red Hot if you’re using Frank’s) you do. Simple buffalo sauce is typically just butter and hot sauce. Franks bottled buffalo sauce has butter in it already.

Anonymous — February 2, 2013 @ 6:28 pm

Going to try this for the Super Bowl tomorrow! Does the recipe call for ranch DIP or DRESSING mix tho?

Heather — February 3, 2013 @ 8:32 pm

It’s not the Ranch mix that makes it salty. That only has like 150 mg of sodium. The wing sauce has a TON. 460 mg in a Tablespoon!! I am going to have to re-tool the recipe.

• lynnssouthernheart replied: — February 4th, 2013 @ 10:46 pm

The Franks Red Hot Sauce only has 190mg…I used that instead!

Debbie — February 3, 2013 @ 11:56 pm

Made this today with just chicken and Frank’s Wing Sauce. Delicious! Put it on flat out bread with a little pizza sauce and mozzarella cheese and YUM!!!

Meghan — February 4, 2013 @ 4:12 am

Absolutely delicious!! Made if for the Super Bowl and it was a big hit. I added some garlic and Frank’s hot sauce and served with blue cheese on top of the sandwiches. Thanks for the recipe!! :)

Kelly — February 10, 2013 @ 10:55 pm

Excellent and SO easy…I will definitely be taking this to some picnics.

Anonymous — February 12, 2013 @ 8:28 pm

This was soooo good! I just wanted you to keep up the great ideas.

Kathy — February 13, 2013 @ 11:35 pm

WONDERFUL!!!!! I used Sweet Baby Ray’s marinade/sauce 16oz. bottle, and it came out perfect. Just the right amount of heat(medium) for my family. This is a keeper as my picky husband told me. We also added low fat sharp cheddar cheese ontop of our sandwich. Just fantastic. Thanks so much Emily!! No one ever guessed this was low cal.

Tonya Tipton — February 19, 2013 @ 4:34 pm

This is in my crock pot right now. My house smells yummy !!! Can’t wait to try this!!!

Shauna Hanson — February 27, 2013 @ 12:40 pm

Emily, just put this in the crock pot! I was wondering, I have probably 2.5lbs of chicken in there and I only had 8oz of buffalo sauce, do you think it will still turn out ok? Also, is the chicken supposed to be submerged in the sauce? Mine isn’t, it is more like sitting in a puddle of buffalo lol, although the chicken does have sauce and now ranch sprinkles covering it! THanks!

Kelly Johnson — February 27, 2013 @ 8:57 pm

SUPER EXCITED TO TRY THIS RECIPE! I THINK I’LL USE MY FAVORITE SAUCE FROM BUFFALO WILD WINGS! I AM ALREADY ANTICIPATING HOW *YUMMY* THE AROMA WILL BE THROUGHOUT THE HOUSE! :D

Emilie Baugh — March 11, 2013 @ 6:53 pm

Thoughts…better to make the whole batch and freeze half or cut the recipe in half? It’s just me eating on it, so I don’t need 12 servings! Thanks.

Anonymous — March 21, 2013 @ 11:21 pm

I made this tonight for dinner and it was delicious!! My 12 year old son loved it. I had it as a lettuce wrap and he had his as a quesadilla! I’ll be making this again!

amtk — March 28, 2013 @ 3:21 am

Made for dinner tonight….delicious!! We chopped up celery put on top like relish, & used 80 cal buns. Will definitely make again!

Anonymous — April 12, 2013 @ 4:24 pm

I will definitely be making this very soon! I used your nutritional information to double check how many points using my WW calculator, and using that information it says it is 4 points. Not a big difference but just wanted to share. This recipe sounds yummy! Can’t wait to make it!!

Anonymous — April 16, 2013 @ 8:20 pm

Great Recipe. I only had the Franks hot sauce so I mixed butter with hot sauce (equal amounts – just depends on how hot you like it) and then put chicken in to the pot. I also added about 2 cloves of minced garlic.

This will become a regular in our household!

Anonymous — April 24, 2013 @ 8:57 pm

I’ve made this several times now and my family loves it! My husband also adds a Laughing Cow low-fat blue cheese wedge, spread on the bun, to our sandwiches! I eat my chicken on a long piece of romain lettuce – it has a nice rib that holds up while you eat. YUM. Thanks!

Anonymous — June 20, 2013 @ 1:29 am

This was not bad, but extremely salty! I do think it was the ranch dressing mix I used and I will definitely try the recommendation to use 1/2 a packet of ranch next time. I really see the potential in this – the chicken was so tender and I love Frank’s Red Hot. I ended up making a wrap with the chicken and added lots of mixed greens and low-fat blue cheese crumbles.

Anonymous — July 3, 2013 @ 11:40 am

I loved it on a Hawaiian sweet roll YUM

ShellBell — August 25, 2013 @ 7:35 pm

I’m making this right now. Started it a little late, though. Put it in the slow cooker at 11:45am and used frozen chicken breasts. It’ll be a late dinner! Also, ranch and buffalo go great together. I really don’t like blue cheese. But I’m from California and we put ranch on everything. Ranch and pizza is the best :)

Karen — August 29, 2013 @ 1:11 pm

Good morning. I’m planning to make a batch of this to have on hand for the holiday weekend, but I was wondering if I should use the Hidden Valley Ranch dip or dressing mix. I know from past experience that they’re quite different. Can’t wait to try this, it looks fabulous! Thanks!

Anonymous — August 29, 2013 @ 10:07 pm

Delicious. I put one serving over broccoli slaw and added 2 tbsp fat free blue cheese dressing for a 4 point plus dinner! Was so good and filling!

Rachel — September 6, 2013 @ 12:39 pm

Made this last night. Boyfriend and I were very impressed. Thank you for sharing!

I do have to add though, I’ve always been a ranch girl, since I have this pesky blue cheese allergy. Ah well.

Anonymous — September 22, 2013 @ 6:41 pm

This is a fav Go To recipe for us. I’m working hard on losing weight for my health and happiness and love your blog thank you for the help. I use this so many ways but for when u want crunchy bites this is delish served in celery sticks with a lil bleu cheese drizzled on top. (cause ya Im on board with the No Ranch rule)

Anonymous — September 22, 2013 @ 7:26 pm

I bought Texas Pete’s Wing Sauce..just as good.

Ulpiano — September 24, 2013 @ 8:56 pm

I have this in the slow cooker right now! My sister made it and said it was delicious. Thanks for all of your great recipes Emily!

Anonymous — October 2, 2013 @ 3:09 am

Instead of using a packet of dry ranch, I added some bleu cheese laughing cow wedges after I shredded the chicken. Depending on how many cheese wedges you use, it will will affect the points plus value, but it is so delicious and not too salty.

Anonymous — October 30, 2013 @ 7:36 am

!You know, they do have dry blue cheese packages, right next to the Ranch. I believe made by Kraft. A perfect solution for the anti–ranch problem. Sounds really yummy….can’t wait!

Anonymous — November 7, 2013 @ 1:49 pm

Has anyone tried to freeze this? If so, did you cook it then freeze it? Thanks!

• AmyK replied: — November 29th, 2013 @ 11:19 pm

I made this and froze it about 4 months ago. I’m just cooking for one so even after eating it all week I ended up freezing over half. I portioned it into snack bags and put them all in a freezer bag. I just defrosted one and added it to some mac and cheese and it’s perfect!

Jessica Smith — December 29, 2013 @ 6:09 pm

I want to make this as just a dip for a party.. would I need to do anything different? Anyone else use this as just a dip?

• VB replied: — January 13th, 2014 @ 3:10 pm

I have made something very similar for a dip…
      Use one 8oz stick of cream cheese (softened), half a cup of the same buffalo sauce, half a cup of ranch dressing and one can of chicken (drained, and I always shred mine with a fork).
      I’d double this if you’re having a lot of people.
      It’s delicious!!! Some call it “crack dip” in our family because it’s so good, you can’t stop eating it!

Norma — December 31, 2013 @ 2:46 pm

I’ve just discovered your blog and your rule about Ranch and Buffalo chicken is soo funny! I’m a Long Island girl who has transplanted to Atlanta. They eat pizza here dipped in ranch. My kids believe it’s ok to dip pizza in ranch. It offends me on every level. So I get you. Although, I admit to eating buffalo chicken with ranch pretty often. :)

• Emily Koenigsberg replied: — January 19th, 2014 @ 4:05 pm

Haha, every area has their food rules! :)

Anonymous — January 12, 2014 @ 9:40 pm

YOUR RECIPE DOES NOT FRIENDLY PRINT!!!!!!!

Anonymous — January 12, 2014 @ 9:41 pm

IF YOU CAN NOT PRINT IT WHY PUT FRIENDLY PRINT????????????

• Emily Koenigsberg replied: — January 19th, 2014 @ 4:06 pm

I’m not sure what problem you’re having but the print friendly widget I use is working fine for me. Sorry you’re having trouble printing!

VB — January 13, 2014 @ 3:07 pm

Hi! Hopefully you’ll still see this…
    Have you tried making this with ranch dressing instead of the powder stuff? I’m interested in finding out how I could substitute those…

Thanks :)

• Emily Koenigsberg replied: — January 19th, 2014 @ 4:04 pm

I never have but if you want to I’d suggest mixing the dressing in at the end before serving instead of cooking it with the dressing.

Alexa Bernstein — January 13, 2014 @ 5:54 pm

This was delicious! I even did a blog post about it here: http://ow.ly/sxu4A

• Emily Koenigsberg replied: — January 19th, 2014 @ 4:03 pm

Happy you loved it Alexa!

Yasso znaguy — January 15, 2014 @ 2:02 pm

more information??? please visit our blog http://www.best-foood.blogspot.com

Anonymous — January 17, 2014 @ 2:11 am

In over 47 years of married life, I can count on one hand the meals that were a complete disaster. And this was one of them! It was awful! My husband gave up half-way through the meal and said it just wasn’t worth the calories – and there aren’t too many of those either! Waste of time and good chicken.

• Ashley Beams replied: — January 26th, 2014 @ 6:05 pm

This totally could have been caused by the wing sause that you used I have used a bunch of different types and brands and not all are created equal

BlairKreiger — January 18, 2014 @ 5:23 pm

In my crock pot now. Smells SOOOOOO yummy! Can’t wait to eat it later!

Anonymous — January 19, 2014 @ 2:10 pm

This was terrible! My husband wouldn’t eat it – said it wasn’t worth the calories. This is my second negative review of this dish; the first one wasn’t published. No wonder it has so many good reviews!

• Emily Koenigsberg replied: — January 19th, 2014 @ 4:02 pm

I do not moderate comments before they are published and I did not delete your previous comment. I actually see it right now. It’s obvious that you must have really wanted to make sure I knew you hated it since you came back to further post about how horrible it is to drive your point home. I’m sorry you didn’t like it, but lots of people do. Your original comment made me feel awful, so I suppose you got what you wanted. Have a great day!

Anonymous — January 26, 2014 @ 5:55 pm

I have made this a dozen or so times my husband and I love it and it is so easy to prepair….I have used all different types of wing sauces and haven’t been letdown yet. Also because we are on a tight budget I make my own dry ranch dip at home and use it instead it’s way cheaper and taste the same

Doreen — January 27, 2014 @ 4:53 am

This is absolutely a staple in our house now…the only thing I changed is I use Frank’s kickin BBQ sauce as it is a little less spicy.
    Thanks so much!
    Doreen

Anonymous — February 25, 2014 @ 5:34 pm

Me and my wife make this quite a bit and use Ken’s Buffalo style sauce…just the chicken and sauce, no butter…very low cal and delicious!!

Megan Swift — March 6, 2014 @ 6:11 pm

Would you be able to tell me what the serving size is for the nutritional information you provided? Thank you so much!

• Emily Koenigsberg replied: — March 6th, 2014 @ 11:49 pm

Yields 12 (1/2 cup) servings!

Livs mom — March 20, 2014 @ 7:43 am

Cooking for about 30 this weekend. How many do you think this serves and can it be increased evenly or would you need to reduce the liquid?

• Emily replied: — March 20th, 2014 @ 5:28 pm

The recipe yields 12 (1/2 cup) servings. I’ve never tried tripling it so I’m not sure – let me know how it turns out!

Nicole — March 31, 2014 @ 9:39 pm

Made tonight! Fantastic flavor! Gluten free naturally as well- Awesome!!

Anonymous — May 4, 2014 @ 10:36 am

I just found dry blue cheese mix at wegmans!

Theresa — May 9, 2014 @ 2:45 pm

This is in my crockpot now! I also replaced 2 the boneless skinless breasts with a couple of chicken leg quarters. Otherwise breast meat tends to be rather blah from all day slow cooking. Since we like spicy, I used a whole 26 oz bottle of Franks Red Hot sauce (not wing) and only 1/2 pkg ranch dressing mix. About 4. 1/2- 5 lbs of bird total. Too easy. If my sauce ratio fails, I’ll let ya know. But I can drink Frank’s Red Hot, I adore it. Thanks for sharing!

1. Pingback: Shredded Mexican Chicken » Emily Bites

2. Pingback: Motivation Monday - Crockpot Meals - Mama's Losing It

3. Pingback: My Weekly Menu March 25-29 | 3595

4. Pingback: Mom, what’s for dinner? | loveugirlfriends

5. Pingback: South Coast Racquet Club Apartments - Santa Ana, CA - SPICY BUFFALO RANCH CHICKEN

6. Pingback: Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken &raquo, Emily Bites | Thrifty Mom