Oct 03

Pumpkin French Toast

French toast is one of my favorite breakfasts. I’ll pick it over pancakes or waffles any day. When I saw a recipe adding pumpkin to French toast it sounded like a match made in Heaven…especially since I always want everything pumpkin this time of year. The pureed pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice really add a warm, seasonal Autumn twist to traditional French toast. I loved how fast it was to heat these up as leftovers, and you could certainly freeze any that you didn’t plan to eat within a few days. I left the toppings up to you, but I actually liked mine with some light Reddi-wip and a little more pumpkin pie spice sprinkled over the top. Add a link of turkey breakfast sausage and some fruit salad and you have a perfect, filling & complete breakfast worthy of company, family or just a quiet morning by yourself.

Pumpkin French Toast

Yield: 5 (2 slice) servings

• 3 large eggs
  • ½ cup skim milk
  • ¾ cup canned pumpkin
  • 1 t pumpkin pie spice
  • 10 slices light wheat bread (I used Arnold brand, but Pepperidge Farms or a store brand would work great too)

1. In a large shallow bowl (I usually use a glass pie plate), combine the eggs, milk, pumpkin and spice and whisk together until thoroughly mixed. Set aside.
  2. Mist a griddle or skillet with cooking spray and bring to medium-low to medium heat. Dip each side of a piece of bread into your egg/pumpkin mixture to coat and then shake off any excess mixture. Place the coated bread on the pan and repeat until the pan is full. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until the bottom is golden brown and then flip and cook an additional 1-2 minutes. You will likely need to do several batches – don’t forget to re-mist your griddle with cooking spray in between!

4 per (2 slice) serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)

145 calories, 22 g carbs, 4 g fat, 10 g protein, 7 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)

slightly adapted from 5 Dollar Dinners

56 Responses to “Pumpkin French Toast”

Anonymous — October 3, 2012 @ 11:15 pm

I just cooked two Pie Pumpkins and now have 8 cups of puree. Can’t wait to try this with Fresh. Once you have fresh pumpkin puree, you will never go back to canned! Thank you for the recipe and I hope you are feeling better!!!
    Nancy

• emilybites replied: — October 3rd, 2012 @ 11:42 pm

I would love to try that, Nancy. Maybe this is the year! :)

• Unknown replied: — October 24th, 2012 @ 2:50 am

It is so easy and cheaper in the long run to make your own pumpkin puree

Chris — October 3, 2012 @ 11:40 pm

Hi Emily ~
    I can hardly wait to give these a try. I’m a little confused …please clarify what you mean by: Yields 5 (2 slice) servings. WW P+: 4 per serving (a serving of four pancake bites is 4 P+) …what do you mean by ‘pancake bites’?

Thanks!
    Chris

• emilybites replied: — October 3rd, 2012 @ 11:42 pm

Sorry, I used another recipe as a template and didn’t realize I forgot to remove that line. All fixed!

nic — October 4, 2012 @ 2:21 am

Looks/Sounds AMAZING!

• emilybites replied: — October 17th, 2012 @ 1:48 am

I hope you make it and love it!

DaMora — October 5, 2012 @ 7:05 am

Looks delish! I love pumpkin recipes.

• emilybites replied: — October 17th, 2012 @ 1:48 am

Me too! :)

Elizabeth@ Food Ramblings — October 5, 2012 @ 5:19 pm

yum, yum, yum! making this weekend :)

• emilybites replied: — October 17th, 2012 @ 1:49 am

Yay :)

Sandi — October 5, 2012 @ 7:48 pm

This looks great!! Would it be possible to make it like a baked french toast where everything goes into a casserole and then in the fridge overnight?

• emilybites replied: — October 17th, 2012 @ 1:49 am

Not sure – let me know!

Anonymous — October 6, 2012 @ 11:40 pm

JUST TO LET YOU KNOW, YOUR SITE WAS MENTIONED ON NEIL SAAVEDRA’S “THE FORK REPORT” ON KFI RADIO!!!

• emilybites replied: — October 17th, 2012 @ 1:49 am

Awesome!! Thanks for the head’s up :)

Anonymous — October 7, 2012 @ 3:43 pm

tried this last night, YUM and so easy!

• emilybites replied: — October 17th, 2012 @ 1:50 am

Yay, glad it was a hit!

MaggieE — October 8, 2012 @ 6:50 pm

This was great! I made it with egg substitute instead of eggs and it was wonderful! I froze the rest to eat throughout the week for breakfast :) Yum!

• emilybites replied: — October 17th, 2012 @ 1:50 am

I’m happy you liked it! Thanks for letting me know :)

Sara — October 8, 2012 @ 11:35 pm

I made these yesterday and they were a bit hit! My boyfriend absolutely loved them! He gave them a 9/10!!! I didn’t have any pumpkin pie spice mix so I had to make my own and I think I was missing a little something. Still turned out great.

• emilybites replied: — October 17th, 2012 @ 1:51 am

Glad to hear they were a big hit! :)

LeAnn — October 9, 2012 @ 12:29 pm

I made these Saturday morning… followed your recipe except I didn’t have pumpkin pie spice so subbed cinnamon, clove and nutmeg and used rustic crusty french bread instead of regular bread… it was sooooooo delicious! I felt like I was cheating!!

• emilybites replied: — October 17th, 2012 @ 1:51 am

Yum, glad it all worked out and you loved it! :)

Anonymous — October 14, 2012 @ 8:41 pm

Emily, these were excellent!! I was set on making pumpkin French toast for the fall, but I was happy to find a healthier option. Thanks so much for sharing!

• emilybites replied: — October 17th, 2012 @ 1:52 am

Perfect, I’m happy you loved them!

Amanda — October 16, 2012 @ 2:36 am

Just made this for my boys for dinner, they loved it! I tried a few bites and agree, its delicious! Thanks for all the great recipes!

• emilybites replied: — October 17th, 2012 @ 1:52 am

Yay, I love breakfast for dinner! Glad to hear it was a hit with the fam :)

Misty — October 16, 2012 @ 5:38 pm

I was disappointed in this one. Mine didn’t have much flavor at all. I don’t know if my pumpkin pie spice was too old or what. :(

• emilybites replied: — October 17th, 2012 @ 1:52 am

Hm, not sure why that would be. Sorry you didn’t like it!

Abby Curtis — October 17, 2012 @ 1:47 am

Just a sidebar, but I use Nickels 35 bread (only 1 point/slice)… Wondering if that would reduce points further!? :) Haven’t calculated it out yet.

• emilybites replied: — October 17th, 2012 @ 1:53 am

Definitely doesn’t hurt to check!

Abby Curtis — October 17, 2012 @ 1:47 am

Anonymous — October 18, 2012 @ 3:15 am

Better to use egg whites and Cinnamon raisen bread (one with out too much sugar). Yummy!

Maureen — October 19, 2012 @ 12:50 pm

I can’t wait to try this – it looks delicious! I picked this as one of My Friday Favorites this week – you can check it out here – http://wp.me/p2hp9V-DQ

Anonymous — October 25, 2012 @ 6:21 pm

I had to use rehydrated sweetened condensed milk because my milk was spoiled, but I vote this as the greatest comfort food EVER! Thank you for the recipe!

nfonseca — October 29, 2012 @ 3:45 pm

1 t pumpkin spice… Is that a teaspoon?

• emilybites replied: — October 30th, 2012 @ 1:52 am

Yes, a lowercase t is a standard abbreviation for teaspoon and a capital T stands for tablespoon. :)

Anonymous — November 3, 2012 @ 5:32 pm

This was so good! My husband and I both loved it and will be making it again.

Mia — November 4, 2012 @ 11:11 am

Hey Emily! Just wanted to let you know I posted a slightly adapted version of this recipe on my blog. Here’s the link: http://kuechenchaotin.de/kuerbis-french-toast/. It’s in german but I have a translation tool in my sidebar if you want to read it.
    Thank you for sharing, I love this!
    Much love,
    Mia

Sharon Rasmussen — November 27, 2012 @ 7:42 am

Emily, Emily, Emily – awwwh Emily!! You are a woman after my own heart. I love pumpkin and this is my favorite time of year. For some reason most companies consider pumpkin to be a Fall only vegetable/fruit(?) and by June I’m beginning to suffer pumpkin withdrawal. I’m going to make this French Toast this weekend for brunch and serve it with a hot cup of Bigelow’s Pumpkin Spice tea with a big dash of fat-free creamer and sprinkle of nutmeg (a seriously underappreciated spice in my opinion). Thanks for coming up with these great recipes!
    Sharon Rasmussen

Amanda Moore — November 27, 2012 @ 4:32 pm

made this morning it was a big hit!

Anonymous — November 28, 2012 @ 6:00 pm

I tried this recipe this morning. Last night tried the taco “cupcakes” and for lunch today made the what lasagna “cupcakes”. Everything has been VERY tasty! Keep up the great recipes. I look forward to trying more.

suer — December 16, 2012 @ 2:47 am

Did I tell you that I served this to the whole gang over Thanksgiving. Your cousin Skip had hard about it somewhere and wanted me to make some, so I used your recipe. Well mostly, didn’t have P. pie spice. But cinnamon, nutmeg, and a dash of clove was great. Very popular. M-m. Thanks. Aunt Sue.

Anonymous — February 20, 2013 @ 2:43 pm

I think I did something wrong! All my pumpkin coating stuck to the pan. :( Either I had the heat too high or it was the fact that I used egg substitute and almond milk. It was still pretty tasty though!

Valerie Stashewsky — March 15, 2013 @ 4:06 pm

This recipe was delicious!

Anonymous — March 21, 2013 @ 10:11 pm

This is amazing. Had it for dinner ;) sprinkled a little extra pumpkin spice over it. I’m gonna try adding vanilla extract next time. So worth the four points ;)

Anonymous — March 27, 2013 @ 1:36 am

Could you leave this in the refrigerator overnight and bake in the morning? If so what temperature would you bake it and for how long?

T.J. Eich — September 2, 2013 @ 2:12 pm

Hi there! I wanted to let you know I featured you on Sugar Blossoms today. Stop by and check it out! http://sweetsugarblossoms.blogspot.com/2013/09/i-freakin-love-pumpkin.html

Jenna Powell — September 8, 2013 @ 3:04 pm

This was easy quick and delish. I wanted to pin it but don’t see the pintrest button.

Ashiq Rahman — September 27, 2013 @ 10:41 am

Hi,

I am very impressed after reading through parts of your blog. With your cooking skills I think you could be interested in this competition I have found. You cook your national dish and then you have the opportunity to win an iPad mini or money. It could also be a good chance for you to let more people know about your blog since you will be shown on their homepage and in a cookbook!
    Here’s the presentation about the competition:
    Competition: Win iPad or Money
    And here’s their facebook page:
    Facebook Page

I hope you will be win..

Thanks

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl — October 8, 2013 @ 5:39 pm

This sounds absolutely amazing!! I really want to try making a vegan version!

1. Pingback: Best of 2012 Reader’s Choice Award Winners » Emily Bites

2. Pingback: EcoStyle MagazinePumpalicous Pumpkin Recipes For Every Meal! Babies Too! - EcoStyle Magazine

3. Pingback: Reasons to fall for fall

4. Pingback: 82 Pumpkin Recipes You’ll Fall In Love With! | Half Size Me

5. Pingback: Kürbis-French-Toast - Herbstfrühstück deluxe!