Grilled Chicken Pesto Wraps
I am so excited about this recipe. One of my absolute favorite things to order at restaurants and coffee shops is a chicken pesto panini. I don’t get them very often because they can be pretty high in fat and calories, but man are they delicious. This wrap captures all of the delectable flavors from my favorite sandwich and clocks in at less than half the calories and half the points of the panini I’d get at the local coffee shop. I’m pretty sure I’m going to be making these all the time. The fresh basil pesto and ripe plum tomatoes make this wrap taste bright and fresh and Spring-y, while the melty cheese, and seasoned chicken make it decadent and filling. Since it’s a wrap but it’s served warm and golden right out of the pan I think it’s more of a “wrap-ini.” Whatever you’d like to call it, this is hands down my new favorite wrap/sandwich/lunch and I’m so excited to share it with you all. Also to eat the leftovers. Yum.
Grilled Chicken Pesto Wraps
Yield: 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 lb raw boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces (I used kitchen shears – it’s faster than using a knife!)
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- ¾ cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Salt & pepper to taste
- ½ cup shredded 2% reduced fat Mozzarella cheese
- 6 light original Flatouts (mine come in packages of 6…last time I posted a recipe using these some of you said yours come in packages of 5 - I’m not sure why!)
- 1 plum tomato, diced
- In a large skillet, bring one tablespoon of the oil over medium high heat. Add the minced garlic clove and dried basil and stir into oil. Cook for about a minute until garlic is fragrant. Add the chicken to the pan and stir to coat chicken with the oil and herbs. Cook for 5-7 minutes until chicken is cooked completely through. Remove chicken along with any excess oil to a medium-sized mixing bowl and set aside.
- Bring a small dry skillet over medium heat and add the pine nuts. Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally until nuts are golden brown.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil, toasted pine nuts, fresh basil leaves, Parmesan cheese, water, lemon juice, whole garlic clove, nutmeg, salt and pepper to the bowl of your food processor and process until minced together into a pesto paste. Add the pesto to the reserved mixing bowl with the chicken. Add the Mozzarella cheese and mix all ingredients together until well combined (see photo above).
- Lay a flatout wrap on a clean surface and spoon 1/6 of the chicken pesto mixture (about 2.5 ounces by weight) onto the center of each flatout and spread the mixture lengthwise, leaving about an inch at each end. Sprinkle about 1/6 of the diced tomatoes over the chicken. Fold in the 1” ends of the flatout over the filling and then fold in the long ends to cover it.
- Lightly mist the large skillet with cooking spray and bring over medium-low heat. Place the wraps fold-side down onto the skillet (I did them in batches of two) and mists the tops with cooking spray as well. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until bottom is golden. Flip the wraps and continue to cook another 3-4 minutes until golden on the other side. Cut in half and serve.
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
7 per serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
259 calories, 18 g carbs, 11 g fat, 31 g protein, 9 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
An Emily Bites Original