Bacon Wrapped BBQ Meatloaf
This post probably isn’t “seasonally appropriate” for my blog. I suppose Bacon Wrapped BBQ Meatloaf doesn’t scream “Spring” like asparagus or strawberries or a fresh squeeze of lemon*, but I decided to go rogue on this one because I believe anything bacon-wrapped transcends seasonality. Besides, barbecue sauce reminds you of Spring and Summer, right? Whatever, like I said, I’m going rogue. Join me.
I love meatloaf (especially with a side of mashed potatoes) and when I saw a recipe for this one wrapped up in a layer of bacon and then smothered in barbecue sauce I knew I had to make it. I lightened up the loaf using ground turkey, lean ground beef and turkey bacon. It turned out super flavorful and I loved the bacon-BBQ coating. It’s also a Weight Watchers or calorie-counting steal at only 6 SmartPoints or 238 calories for two slices! I served mine with ½ cup of mashed potatoes and some broccoli for a very satisfying and tasty meal.
*The next recipe I have planned has Spring written all over it, so sticklers, fear not!
Bacon-Wrapped BBQ Meatloaf
Yield: 6 (2 slice) servings
- ¾ lb (12 oz) 95% lean ground beef
- ¾ lb (12 oz) extra lean ground turkey (I used Jennie-O brand)
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 5 tablespoons barbecue sauce, divided (I used Stubb’s Original)
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 12 fat free saltine crackers, crushed into crumbs
- 1 large egg
- 8 strips raw turkey bacon (I used Oscar Meyer brand)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the beef and turkey and mush together with clean hands until combined. Add the onion, 3 tablespoons of the barbecue sauce, mustard, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, saltine crumbs and egg and lightly mix together. Do not over handle.
- Transfer the meat mixture to the lined baking sheet and form into a 9” x 5” loaf. Lay the strips of bacon in a row to cover the top of the meatloaf, each one slightly overlapping the piece before it. Tuck the ends of the bacon strips underneath the bottom of the meatloaf. Using a silicone pastry brush, brush the remaining 2 tablespoons of barbecue sauce over the entire loaf. Bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes or until your meat thermometer reads 160 degrees. Cut into 12 even slices and serve.
Weight Watchers SmartPoints:
6 per (2 slice) serving (SP calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
6 per (2 slice) serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
238 calories, 9 g carbs, 3 g sugars, 9 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 29 g protein, 1 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
adapted from Simply Scratch