Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes
Now, this is a Spring recipe! The bright flavors of fresh lemon and sweet strawberries practically cause birds to chirp and flowers to bloom singlehandedly. Okay, that may be an exaggeration, but it certainly tastes like Springtime in your mouth. These Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes are a cinch to put together and would make a perfect Sunday brunch treat (I suggest making these for Mother’s Day this weekend!) or a wonderful weeknight “breakfast for dinner.”
Though I included nutrition information and Weight Watchers points+ information for bare pancakes as well, I highly recommend serving these with the sweet strawberry topping. It all tastes so good together! I also tossed a few blueberries on my plate for color because I had them on hand and they were delicious as well. I served the Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes with a side of Oscar Mayer turkey bacon (my favorite kind) and it was a very filling and complete meal. Now you can make your pancakes and eat them too!
Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes
Yield: 3 (2 pancake + 1/3 strawberry topping) servings
- 6 oz container of lemon flavored non-fat Greek yogurt (I used Chobani)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon honey
- zest from one large lemon
- ½ cup of white whole wheat flour (you can use all-purpose or wheat, this is just my preference)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- Optional (for strawberry topping):
- 8 medium strawberries, sliced
- ½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the yogurt, egg, honey and lemon zest and stir until thoroughly combined. Add the flour, baking soda and poppy seeds and stir until batter is mixed.
- In a small bowl, combine sliced strawberries, lemon juice and powdered sugar and mix until sugar is dissolved. Set aside.
- Lightly mist a griddle pan with cooking spray and bring over medium heat. Scoop ¼ cup of batter onto the heated pan and use the back of a spoon to smooth it out into a flat circle. Repeat in batches (depending on how many pancakes fir on your pan at once) to form 6 pancakes. Cook on one side for 2-4 minutes until bottom is golden and pancake is “flappable.” If the batter is not firm on the bottom yet it needs more time. Once flipped cook another 1-2 minutes until golden on the other side as well. Repeat until you have 6 pancakes. Each serving is 2 pancakes with 1/3 of the strawberry topping.
Weight Watchers Points Plus:
5 per (2 pancake + 1/3 strawberry topping) serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)
194 calories, 34 g carbs, 16 g sugars, 2 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 10 g protein, 4 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)
For 2 pancakes without strawberry topping, each serving is 4 Weight Watchers Points+, 172 calories, 28 g carbs, 12 g sugars, 2 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 10 g protein, 3 g fiber
adapted from the Greek Yogurt Pancakes at Family Fresh Meals