Jun 15

Pizza Logs

Oh my goodness. I am so excited to share these with you that I can barely contain myself and think of how to put it into words. I decided this concession stand staple needed a healthy makeover when I passed a tray of them wandering through the Wegmans prepared food section the other day. They looked oh-so-good but also oh-so-bad for me and I immediately got to work on lightening them up. I wish I had realized earlier that these would be so quick and easy to make because they taste every single bit as delicious as their fried counterparts. I should have been making these for years! I’m not going to lie…I can see myself making up for lost time by just making these weekly for the next several months. Yum.

These seriously taste even better than the fried version and each pizza log is less than 100 calories and only 2 Weight Watchers Points+! Don’t be skeptical about halving the string cheese – it’s absolutely perfect. The cheese spreads out and gets gooey and stringy and the ratio of pepperoni to egg roll wrapper to cheese couldn’t be better. Traditional pizza logs don’t have sauce in them but I decided to try putting a little in half of these to see what I thought and I liked those ones way better. It makes them juicier. On of the great things about these is you can easily make as many or as few of these as you like. Snack for one? Just make two logs. Party for 10? You can easily make 20-30. Your guests will never guess these are a healthy version and you’ll be a very popular host!

Pizza Logs

Yield: 8 pizza logs

• 8 egg roll wrappers (larger than wonton wrappers)
  • 8 teaspoons store-bought pizza sauce
  • 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • 24 turkey pepperoni slice (I used Hormel)
  • 4 light Mozzarella string cheese sticks, each cut in half horizontally to make two shorter sticks (I used Weight Watchers brand – recommended!)

1. Preheat the oven to 425. Lightly mist a large baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
  2. Pour some water into a small dish and set aside. On a flat surface, place an egg roll wrapper, corner facing toward you (like a diamond) and spread a teaspoon of pizza sauce horizontally across the center of the wrapper, leaving ½ inch or so of space on each side. Sprinkle a pinch of Italian seasoning across the sauce and add a row of 3 pepperoni slices over the sauce. Place half a cheese stick on top of the pepperoni. Fold the bottom corner closest to you up over the ingredients and give it a 90 degree roll. Fold the side corners in and tuck them as you give the filled section another 90 degree roll. Dip your finger in the dish or reserved water and lightly wet the edges of the remaining top corner of the wrapper. Finish rolling the filled pizza log over the wet corner so that it adheres. Place wrapped pizza log onto the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
  3. When all of the pizza logs are wrapped and on the baking sheets, mist the tops with cooking spray. Bake for 10-14 minutes, flipping once halfway through, until the wrappers are golden brown.

2 per pizza log (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)

97 calories, 13 g carbs, 2 g fat, 7 g protein, 1 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)

An Emily Bites Original

80 Responses to “Pizza Logs”

Angela @ Honey, I Shrunk the Mom — June 15, 2013 @ 11:27 pm

Oh my goodness, do those look yummy! ♥

Anonymous — June 15, 2013 @ 11:42 pm

they look SO GOOD

Kim K — June 16, 2013 @ 1:01 pm

Cannot wait to try these!!!

Charlsye — June 16, 2013 @ 8:04 pm

I don’t eat eggrolls so I wouldn’t really be able to use them again. I do, however, make a lot of your cupcake/wonton wrapper recipes and I’m wondering if you think it would be possible for me to use those?

Anonymous — June 16, 2013 @ 10:52 pm

Just a question, if I cut the cheese stick horizontally, won’t I have two long strips instead of two shorter ones. Which way am I suppose to do this? Thanks. Love your recipes!

• Emily Koenigsberg replied: — June 16th, 2013 @ 11:14 pm

It depends on which way you are holding the cheese! haha. You want two short ones. Hope you love these!

Meghan Silva — June 17, 2013 @ 9:29 am

Oooooh these looks so yummy have to try it .

Meghan Silva’s Blog

Anonymous — June 17, 2013 @ 7:27 pm

Do you think you could freeze these and if so would you bake and then freeze or make ahead, freeze and bake later? I would love to have these on hand for a quick summer snack for the kids.

• Emily Koenigsberg replied: — June 17th, 2013 @ 7:38 pm

You can certainly try it! I probably won’t ever freeze them because rolling them up only takes a couple minutes tops, but if you do then report back!

xTx — June 17, 2013 @ 10:36 pm

Do you know how well they microwave? Thinking of making a batch and bringing them in to work for lunch for a few days.

Kaidence's Mommy — June 20, 2013 @ 7:01 pm

The egg roll wrappers I bought come out to be 4 points EACH wrapper. Where did you find yours? I just ate 3 pizza logs thinking they were 3 points each but in reality they were 4+ points each…oopps

• Emily Koenigsberg replied: — June 20th, 2013 @ 7:11 pm

I used nasoya brand egg roll wrappers and each pizza log was 2 points each!

• Emily Koenigsberg replied: — June 20th, 2013 @ 7:14 pm

Did you check the serving size on your wrappers? Maybe the NI is for more than one.

Kaidence's Mommy — June 20, 2013 @ 8:08 pm

You are AWESOME! Thank You…I never expected those to be 3 wraps as one serving! I feel so much better now! I LOVE your recipes! I am new to WW and trying to loose the lovely weight I gained during my daughters 2nd heart transplant. I lost so much weight with her first but the 2nd time around my body responded totally different….bummer. Thanks so much and please keep adding these yummy recipes.

Cecile Balding — June 22, 2013 @ 12:06 am

I bet these would be wonderful dressed up with onion, mushrooms and olives.

Anonymous — June 22, 2013 @ 11:41 pm

Just made these — DELICIOUS! :) Thank you!

Miranda Perkins — June 24, 2013 @ 12:53 pm

Made these twice this weekend – total hit! Easy and delicious. I seriously can’t believe how low in points they are. I brought a couple to eat for lunch today – hoping the microwave okay. Thanks for another wonderful receipe!!

Amber Lea — June 24, 2013 @ 9:36 pm

THESE WERE SO SOOOOOO GOOD! thank you! I think i bought some tiny wonton wrappers, so i had to cut it back to 2 pepperonis (that i cut in half ) to make it fold better. BUT SO DELICIOUS! i way over ate these little guys! thank you!!!

Anonymous — June 25, 2013 @ 3:08 pm

These were so easy and so tasty! Just a warning that the sauce takes a while to cool after they’ve baked – I squirted my face with hot tomato sauce when I bit into one.

Shea — June 26, 2013 @ 2:57 am

This comment has been removed by the author.

Anonymous — June 27, 2013 @ 12:35 am

Ok, I have never purchased egg roll wrappers, so I have a stupid question: Where do I purchase these? What part of the store? Thanks!

• Emily Koenigsberg replied: — June 27th, 2013 @ 12:37 am

They’re in the produce section at my grocery store!

• Anonymous replied: — June 29th, 2013 @ 12:53 pm

Thank You! I don’t think I looked there. I can’t wait to try these!

Michele — June 29, 2013 @ 6:42 pm

I just made them and they were delicious!!! My whole family loved them.

Caitlyn — July 1, 2013 @ 10:46 pm

Made these yesterday afternoon for lunches this week. They held up well in the fridge so far and reheated perfect. For 1 log, 20 seconds in the microwave is perfect. For 4, a minute. Good job, Emily! Loving these.

jessica — July 3, 2013 @ 9:03 pm

These are freakin’ FANTASTIC! I did modify a bit by using wonton wrappers, ( I had them on hand and needed to use them uP!) so I had ‘Baby Logs’. A wonderful snack!

Anonymous — July 6, 2013 @ 3:29 am

I USE EGG ROLL WRAPS FOR ALL KINDS OF THINGS FROM HOTDOGS TO DESSERTS. THEY MAKE A GREAT TURKEY BURGER BY BROWNING YOUR TURKEY ADDING THE TURKEY, SHREDDED CHEESE, ONIONS, DICED TOMATOES ( I HAVE EVEN USED DRAINED DICED CANNED TOMATOES, GARLIC POWDER AND ANY OTHER SEASONING YOU LIKE STIRRED INTO THE TURKEY JUST MAKES IT BETTER. ROLL AND BAKE AND IT IS GREAT. FOR A DESSERT JUST ROLL ANY PIE FILLING OR CRUMBLED CAKE MIXED WITH ICING INTO THE WRAPS AND BAKE. THE SKY’S THE LIMIT WITH WHAT YOU CAN DO.

Anonymous — July 8, 2013 @ 3:44 am

Just wondering what everyone else has been serving with these if you make them for dinner? I’d be fine with these alone, but my husband definitely likes a side or two to accompany his main meal. I know I could do a salad, but that’s our standby and I’d like to mix it up a bit. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Anonymous — July 13, 2013 @ 12:27 am

I just made these and they are like nothing I have ever tasted before while being on WW…..please do yourself a favor and MAKE these ….you won’t be sorry! And I might add, these are so easy to make!! Thank you emilybites for your yummy recipes!

Anonymous — July 16, 2013 @ 8:14 pm

I can’t wait to try these. Love lo cal tasty snacks!

sandra — July 17, 2013 @ 3:33 pm

Seems so quick and easy

JenniferCG — July 19, 2013 @ 6:39 pm

These are awesome. We can’t get enough of them at my house. Thanks Emily :)

Anonymous — July 20, 2013 @ 11:50 pm

Just made these. Outstanding! So easy and they taste great. No need for extra sauce. Thanks Emily.

Anonymous — July 22, 2013 @ 7:01 pm

I made these on Saturday and they are awesome! I had to stop myself from eating too many. :) I rolled all of them up and put them uncooked in the freezer. They baked up just fine (about 18 mins) from the freezer to the oven on Sunday.

Anonymous — August 4, 2013 @ 3:59 pm

I made these for a “healthified appetizer party” with friends and they were amazing!! Over the weekend I was craving Hawaiian pizza and made my own twist on these with ham and pineapple. SO yum!

KatieL — August 5, 2013 @ 8:25 pm

Emily, as a mom of a teenage son who struggles with his weight, I can’t thank you enough for developing this recipe. He couldn’t believe these weren’t store bought and unhealthy. It is important for an overweight teen to feel he can have normal “junk food.”

Please create more of these recipes!

• Emily Koenigsberg replied: — January 7th, 2014 @ 11:03 pm

This comment warms my heart – I’m so glad these are making things easier for your family!

Anonymous — August 7, 2013 @ 12:36 am

I feel like I’m not folding them right :(

• Emily Koenigsberg replied: — August 7th, 2013 @ 12:39 am

Okay, look at the pic above of it unfolded. You fold the bottom corner tightly up over the contents. Then fold the left and right side corners all the way in over the top. Then roll the contents up from the bottom toward the top corner. Hope that helps!

Meredith — August 10, 2013 @ 4:44 pm

I made these last night and they were good; unfortunately, they were nowhere near as crispy as your photos look, while the cheese didn’t fully melt. Any suggestions?

• Emily Koenigsberg replied: — August 10th, 2013 @ 4:46 pm

Hm, I haven’t had anyone else have that problem. Maybe your oven is off? Sounds like you should just cook them for longer!

Sharon O. — August 11, 2013 @ 2:36 am

I just made these tonight and they came out sooooo good. This recipe will definitely be a staple in my repertoire. Thanks for sharing!

Marla — August 12, 2013 @ 10:40 pm

YOU, madame, are a GODDESS!! A pizza log goddess!

Anonymous — August 19, 2013 @ 5:14 am

i am confused on to how these only come out as 2 points per log. if the wrapper is 1 point how can you have the cheese, sauce, and pepperoni count as 1 other point?

• Emily Koenigsberg replied: — January 7th, 2014 @ 11:05 pm

If you put all of the ingredients into the WW recipe builder they each come out to 2 WW points.

Chandler McLemore — October 5, 2013 @ 9:24 pm

These are delicious! We added a basil leaf to each pizza log and it gave it some great extra flavor with no extra points! :)

Anonymous — November 8, 2013 @ 8:16 am

I love another posters idea about other types of rolls as well. I could think of making chicken taco roll ups…..turkey and cheese as she mentioned…..oh….awesome idea…chicken with monterey jack cheese & green chilis!!! That would be sooo yummy. One could get sooo creative!
    Thanks sooo much for this wonderful idea!

• Emily Koenigsberg replied: — January 7th, 2014 @ 11:06 pm

Yup, you could roll up anything, really! Get to brainstorming! :)

Anonymous — November 11, 2013 @ 4:52 am

I can’t seem to find turkey pepperoni in Canada, any thoughts of a comparible product? Thanks in advance

• Emily Koenigsberg replied: — January 7th, 2014 @ 11:06 pm

Well, I’m not sure what they do have in Canada, but maybe just reduced fat pepperoni?

M Breeder — December 19, 2013 @ 6:06 pm

In Canada try the Pillers Turkey Pepperettes and slice them up. Each one is 1 WW point, I used one for the recipe and I made three of these and still had pepperoni to snack on. Yummy!

• Emily Koenigsberg replied: — January 7th, 2014 @ 11:07 pm

Thanks for commenting to help! :)

allisonmgriffin — January 3, 2014 @ 10:06 pm

I can’t wait to try these! I have left over egg roll wrappers from using them for French Dip Cupcakes last night (my store was sold out of wonton wrappers so I just cut the egg roll wrappers in 1/4)

Melissa — January 5, 2014 @ 7:18 pm

These are insane! Thank you Emily for all of your wonderful recipes!

Robin T — January 5, 2014 @ 7:48 pm

Have these in the oven right now. Can not wait to try them.

Amy — January 8, 2014 @ 4:21 am

I’ve lose count of how many times I’ve made these. I always have the ingredients on hand to take care of pizza cravings. You’re brilliant!

Anonymous — February 23, 2014 @ 5:25 am

I just made these, unfortunately the eggroll wrappers are 2 pp for just the wrappers not including the stuff in it. Still good tho :)

Jill — March 21, 2014 @ 7:25 pm

Yum! This recipe was great…..love your recipes!

Sherri-Lynn — April 5, 2014 @ 7:08 pm

Just finished making these. They turned out amazing. I made a few modifications. I didn’t use turkey pepperoni. Instead I made it vegetarian. I used green peppers, mushrooms, olives and onions. I also added pepper flakes. I like a little spice. They tasted just like pizza. This will be my go to meal when ever I’m crazing pizza. They were super filling and were only 7 p+ for 4!

Sara — April 28, 2014 @ 9:26 pm

I made these tonight two different flavors and served with a spinach salad. The pepperoni and cheese ones were crisper than the pineapple and cheese ones. The one Change to this recipe I made was not putting the pizza sauce inside the rolls, but instead having it in a side dish for dipping. I have a picky 7 year old step daughter who doesn’t eat anything, thanks baby momma… I had her take a bite tonight and she ended up eating 1 and a half logs!

Erin — May 7, 2014 @ 6:52 pm

Emily, we love this recipe! I made it again tonight for about the 10th time. My hubby suggested we try this with other things…cooked chicken with Italian dressing and something else? BBQ sauce with shredded beef. YUM!! Can’t wait to take one of my favorite recipes (because it’s yummy and SOOOO quick and easy) and try it with other ingredients!!

Deborah — May 24, 2014 @ 9:07 pm

I was so excited to see this 2 PP recipe. I had been craving pizza, so when I saw this recipe I rushed out to get the ingredients. I’m a sausage and mushroom fan, so I bought Jimmy Dean’s Turkey Sausage Crumbles and diced up some mushrooms instead of pepperoni. Love it!!! Thank you so much for a guilt free way to fill my pizza craving :-)

Love2BMom — June 3, 2014 @ 7:43 pm

These were amazing! And I even forgot the seasoning :)

Patricia — October 4, 2014 @ 3:25 pm

You make losing weight way too easy!! I was having a huge craving for pizza since starting WW and gave these a try instead. Lol, now I’m gonna be craving these! They’re that good! In fact, we’ve been having a ball trying out many of your recipes and haven’t made one yet that wasn’t outstanding! Every single one we’ve tried gets an A+. Best part is they’ve all been hubby approved! Thank you so very much for your fantasic blog and all the yummy recipes! I don’t believe my DH and I could have gotten this far with our weight loss without you! If I could give you a huge, I would!! :-)

• Emily Bites replied: — October 9th, 2014 @ 8:05 pm

Aw, thanks, I’m so happy you and your husband are loving the recipes!! Congrats on your weight loss, you should feel great! Thanks so much for your comment. I am sending you e-hugs right now! :)

Katie — November 23, 2014 @ 3:52 pm